1 2 3 4
porschenut
porschenut New Reader
11/22/11 2:17 p.m.

Really bad idea in hilly country. I had a buddy with one in california. He had to go backwards up some of the steeper hills.

Woody
Woody SuperDork
11/22/11 2:36 p.m.

I've seen several guys towing 911 race cars with Eurovan Westfalias at PCA events. When I asked what kind of engine they swapped in, they said, "It's stock". They also seem to go several hundred thousands of miles.

But I still long for a mid 70's Westie. FWIW, my '75 Fuelie Bug was better than my carbed Bugs.

bastomatic
bastomatic Dork
11/22/11 2:53 p.m.

I have no input on the old Bay-window wesites, but how about...

E-Camper?

Flip-Pac?

Keith
Keith SuperDork
11/22/11 3:06 p.m.
pete240z wrote: those old VW campers are starting to hold their value. Buy it, camp in it, and you can probably sell it for the same price or better.

That's part of my thought process. Fairly low risk. Although it's surprising how many seem to be for sale at any given point. Telling, some might say.

At this point, I have no interest in a major project. Something that needs an engine swap or a conversion on a Toyota minivan - that's not going to happen. If we buy a Westie, it's going to be one that's driveable and ready to use immediately. It's fun to imagine Porsche engines but it's just not going to go that far. I fully expect to have to fix a few items, but I'm more interested in resurrecting/improving the existing heating system or sorting out a good inverter setup.

Crash protection need not be discussed. It is readily apparent.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
11/22/11 3:06 p.m.

You know how much I dislike BiTurbos?

I like these less.

Woody
Woody SuperDork
11/22/11 3:32 p.m.

I live in Connecticut, but a guy around the corner from me has an E-Camper with California plates and I am fascinated by it. I don't know why.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
11/22/11 3:47 p.m.
Keith wrote: Crash protection need not be discussed. It is readily apparent.

The good news is that you will never hit anything going faster than 45mph

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy Dork
11/22/11 4:45 p.m.

It is possible to install a frsh engine into one in Saskatoon, and drive into a headwind to Calgary, and require a fresh engine, due to the puddles of aluminum laying underneath.

Move up a couple of years, like until they have a boxer in the rear that needs a radiator, and there is a kit available to install the inline 4 cylinder diesel that went to the African market. I know a guy here with one, and he claims it to be flawless. Of course, he's a VW guy, so its likely he is lying to me. And to himself.

Capt Slow
Capt Slow Dork
11/22/11 4:55 p.m.

Sorry It has to be said...

I have been on a long road trip or two in one and I wasn't really impressed. It was dead slow, broke down, a lot, and it was a bit scary in a windy situation.

Of course If I were looking for a vehicle to do the type of thing your are descibing I would be lusting after on these (to which all of my above criticism probably also applies)

Keith
Keith SuperDork
11/22/11 5:14 p.m.

Instead of a Unimog, I'd go for a Forward Control ambulance.

Good feedback, guys. Thanks. I can get tech info from Westie forums, but they're never going to give me the "here's why I would never touch one/here's why I've always wanted another" viewpoint.

Taiden
Taiden Dork
11/22/11 5:30 p.m.

A friendquaintance did an ej22e into a Westy. He loves it.

FlightService
FlightService Dork
11/22/11 5:45 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: This.

Those are great! Had one at the rent to own store I started at (delivery model)

But they also give you

I love me some Toyota

Westy + EJ25 = <3

FlightService
FlightService Dork
11/22/11 5:58 p.m.
Woody wrote: I live in Connecticut, but a guy around the corner from me has an E-Camper with California plates and I am fascinated by it. I don't know why.

That is cool

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
11/22/11 6:04 p.m.

I've said it before, but I'd take a look at the eurovan westy's. The family rented a t5 California diesel in Germany this summer and had a blast. We got the T3's until the early 00's. I saw one local for about $6k ready to go and I really should have hopped on it. So cool. Agree with everything about the aircooled- you look cool doing it, but I think you'll spend more time under it than having fun driving and camping in it.

Woody
Woody SuperDork
11/22/11 8:01 p.m.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1206750

rob_lewis
rob_lewis Dork
11/22/11 8:39 p.m.

Get it and enjoy the heck out of it. I have a good friend with a '71 and a '65 Westy. He and his son take the '71 back and forth from Austin to Indy every year and has taken three family trips (2 adults and 2 teenagers) in it.

He said he noticed when the ethanol content was higher in the gas because it wouldn't do more than 60-65 or so, but other than that, he's had few problems.

Sounds like you are expecting to take a more relaxed pace, so the stock motor should be fine.

Just keep up with maintenance (oil, plugs, points, etc. ) and it should give you plenty of trouble free miles. Besides, if it DOES have any issues, you really can't get any easier to work on than a VW aircooled motor.

-Rob

eastsidemav
eastsidemav HalfDork
11/22/11 10:24 p.m.

My parents went through two of them. The first, a 77 or 78, died while on a trip in 1981, and burned to the ground. The second was an 83, and the dealership could never get the fuel injection gremlins worked out. They wanted to drop the engine and ship it to Germany. They traded it in on a Ford Taurus in 86.

The pop top was neat for camping, but if only two of you are going to be using it, it is not necessary. I'd say in this day and age owning one is purely an emotional choice. A lot better can be had a lot cheaper.

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
11/23/11 1:45 a.m.
rob_lewis wrote: Besides, if it DOES have any issues, you really can't get any easier to work on than a VW aircooled motor.

Seriously? Have you worked on a type 4 engine in a bus?

Bryce

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath HalfDork
11/23/11 3:22 a.m.

No experience with Westies but I will say that the Yota camper thing is a good idea. Tough, kind of cute, comfy. Used to go camping with my granddad in one. It was nice not worrying about getting stranded.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
11/23/11 5:56 a.m.

I have a love for '60's vintage split windows. My first car was a splitty, so that is part of it.

Now that I'm 50 and have kids, there is one element of the ambiance that I no longer appreciate. When you are driving them you are sitting ON and essentially IN FRONT OF the front wheels. There is nothing separating you from death other than a piece of sheet metal.

The Vanagon based was are slightly better. At least the engine is up there, so it slows down the invading foreign object a little bit as BOTH you and the engine get crushed.

I love 'em, but honestly I am a bit uncomfortable driving them.

Oncoming trucks do not inspire a sense of confidence when you essentially feel like the hood ornament.

modernbeat
modernbeat Dork
11/23/11 8:32 a.m.

Keith, that's the near perfect choice for your stated purpose. Earlier ones have the T1 engine and are too slow. The '79 has a catalytic converter stock. The safety was greatly improved starting with the '73 models. There are some quirks with the electrical and the windshield washer switch, but nothing that would stop me from buying one to camp and bicycle with.

But don't expect to tow with it. Expect to tinker with it. They are also great platforms for modifications and improvements. And all the parts that used to be hard to find that you needed to keep one looking good and running well are now available through the huge VW community and reproduction market.

As an aside, I've owned about 80 VW busses. Many from the '50s. My favorites were a '67 Westy that I drove all over South America for eight months, a '62 Westy that I drove all over North America for a year, a '55 Delux that I took to a lot of VW events in the South West and a '76 Doublecab that had been imported illegally.

failboat
failboat HalfDork
11/23/11 8:41 a.m.

while probably harder to find, i cant imagine the price being all that different from a clean westy, and youd have, you know, some power to climb hills and maybe tow something occasionally. I think Ford, Dodge, and Chevy had camper conversions like this.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2010/09/curbside-classic-1965-ford-econoline-supervan-camper/

NOHOME
NOHOME HalfDork
11/23/11 8:59 a.m.

Well, since they went to all the trouble to make the damn thing, maybe someone should try this...

Ugly enough that it should scare the bears away.

Matt B
Matt B Dork
11/23/11 9:12 a.m.
Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
11/23/11 9:17 a.m.
modernbeat wrote: As an aside, I've owned about 80 VW busses. Many from the '50s. My favorites were a '67 Westy that I drove all over South America for eight months, a '62 Westy that I drove all over North America for a year, a '55 Delux that I took to a lot of VW events in the South West and a '76 Doublecab that had been imported illegally.

Remind me to corner you for some stories if we ever get together. This is the framework for an awesome and interesting life. Well done, sir.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0A5DBm3YhcviWFAMMgyx8marSrMSER9VOL6JGZB3KrZIrOGTeqA3cz0laP3z1Zqh