pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
7/18/17 9:24 p.m.

The CR-V has to be the most boring appliance CUV ever made, I know this because my mother drives one. But I keep seeing early ones modified by "the kids" and they are pretty cool. You can even get them with a manual transmission. Is the first-gen CR-V the Civic Si of this era?

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
7/18/17 9:26 p.m.

drainoil
drainoil HalfDork
7/18/17 10:15 p.m.

Or just the regular Civic of this era. I've seen a few in person like the above pics.

My second gen is all stock and won't be getting that treatment. Boring it is but reliable as they come and driving it in the winters here I have put the AWD to good use.

mck1117
mck1117 Reader
7/19/17 12:07 a.m.

The AWD functions via some hydraulic sorcery that happens in the front of the rear diff. Apparently you can adjust the springs on the check valves in the diff and make it lock much more aggressively, making it a bit more RWD-ish.

NickD
NickD SuperDork
7/19/17 5:24 a.m.

Putting a B16 or GS-R head on the B20 has interesting results.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
7/19/17 7:15 a.m.
mck1117 wrote: The AWD functions via some hydraulic sorcery that happens in the front of the rear diff. Apparently you can adjust the springs on the check valves in the diff and make it lock much more aggressively, making it a bit more RWD-ish.

yea it basically has a hydraulic clutch thing that only engages when the front wheels slip. and you dont want to make it too tight for street use as it doesnt have a center diff like a real AWD car.

fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
7/19/17 1:16 p.m.
edizzle89 wrote:
mck1117 wrote: The AWD functions via some hydraulic sorcery that happens in the front of the rear diff. Apparently you can adjust the springs on the check valves in the diff and make it lock much more aggressively, making it a bit more RWD-ish.
yea it basically has a hydraulic clutch thing that only engages when the front wheels slip. and you dont want to make it too tight for street use as it doesnt have a center diff like a real AWD car.

Yup. But it's fun in winter...Exhibit A

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
7/19/17 3:07 p.m.
The CR-V has to be the most boring appliance CUV ever made,

I don't get that. My take is that if you like Hondas of the period, you'll like the CR-V. I don't really stop liking them until the 2007-up models because i really dislike the styling after that. I've driven (and worked on) the 1g and 2g pretty extensively and other than a lack of good acceleration in the automatics i don't dislike anything about them. They're way better than a lot of the competition of the time.

mck1117
mck1117 Reader
7/19/17 4:38 p.m.
edizzle89 wrote:

I thought about getting one for rally-x, and modifying the diff to have an external valve that lets you adjust how hard/fast the rear end locks. Too hard to find a manual one though.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 SuperDork
7/19/17 5:18 p.m.

Or maybe they're just modifying CRVs because they've run out of Civics

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
7/19/17 5:33 p.m.
BlueInGreen44 wrote: Or maybe they're just modifying CRVs because their kids are growing up faster than they are.
Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
7/19/17 5:42 p.m.

I used to work with a guy that had one lowers with some newer 17x8 TL wheels and 235/40/17's. Looked good.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
7/19/17 6:09 p.m.

Yo, dawg. I'd spray my DNA on that! Hella frush wit da Rotas mang!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Z1g0xbdrdmdTAaVVvtyIyEybyQybCnxLXwTatlHBk4lhMK5XrnDGzbjgFTSit3i8