6 7 8 9 10
Woody
Woody UltimaDork
4/1/12 6:16 p.m.

I decided that today was the day to tidy up the interior.

I began by reinstalling the carpet, which was pretty simple, as the front pieces go in like big floor mats. I had a hard time figuring out how to attach the one small piece that covers the (now) aluminum floor board, but after a quick peek at my other car, it became clear. An unusual method, but simple and effective. There had been some vibration from the bare panel that now disappeared with the carpet in place.

Photobucket

Then I reattached door pocket that I had removed way back when I replaced the broken door handle. It's still not perfect, but looks much better now that I reglued the carpet.

Photobucket

I reluctantly reinstalled the original rear speaker panel. The vinyl had no tears, but it shrunk and the panel below warped up in the sun. This may be able to be partially disassembled and rebuilt with MDF or metal, but for now, it's going back in to keep me from losing the hardware. A replacement panel shouldn't be hard to find, as I saw a bunch of them at the Hershey Porsche swap meet last year.

Photobucket

It's most noticeable when you look in through the rear window.

Photobucket

Aside from the torn passenger seat, the interior is looking fairly presentable at this point.

Photobucket

Photobucket

mazdeuce
mazdeuce New Reader
4/1/12 6:21 p.m.

Those back seats still look perfect for children. Why dont I own a 911 again?

Woody
Woody UltimaDork
4/1/12 6:37 p.m.

The actual seats are folded down in that photo..

mazdeuce
mazdeuce New Reader
4/1/12 6:41 p.m.

Well, yea, even I know that, but my point still stands, 911's look like the perfect small family car. Oh, right, that's why I don't have one. Small family............I still want one.

Woody
Woody UltimaDork
4/1/12 6:47 p.m.

I also should point out that the rear seats had lap belts only until 1988.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Reader
4/1/12 7:01 p.m.

I'm ok with that. I don't think passengers in 80's level engineering are materially less safe with only lap belts. Not less safe than I'd be in the front seat without an air bag anyway. The cars of my dreams aren't the ones that coddle me or my passengers with the latest safety features. Off to Craigslist for more dreaming.......

Cuda
Cuda New Reader
4/2/12 12:12 a.m.

Well, because you look to be finishing up your awesome project. I took the liberty of finding you another one.

Ebay 911

Woody
Woody UltimaDork
4/2/12 5:51 a.m.

I search for used Porsches several times each day, so I'm sure that I'll find another before too long. But it won't be that one. Guys love the early long hood car, but I like the idea that they started galvanizing them in the late 70's. Just look at the floors on my Targa.

Photobucket

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
4/2/12 6:04 a.m.

It isn't near here, but I like the looks of this:

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/2882051820.html

Woody
Woody UltimaDork
4/2/12 6:08 a.m.
Per Schroeder wrote: It isn't near here, but I like the looks of this: http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/2882051820.html

I like that car.

Ooooh....smog pump...

octavious
octavious New Reader
4/2/12 6:46 a.m.
Woody said: Guys love the early long hood car, but I like the idea that they started galvanizing them in the late 70's.

From everything I have seen, 1976 was the first year Porsche galvinized the 911.

Woody
Woody UltimaDork
4/2/12 7:19 a.m.
octavious wrote:
Woody said: Guys love the early long hood car, but I like the idea that they started galvanizing them in the late 70's.
From everything I have seen, 1976 was the first year Porsche galvinized the 911.

I have read that they started in either '76 or '77. I don't know whether that means '76 cars are galvanized or if it means that the '77 model year cars that they began assembling in '76 were the first. At this point, it will come down to the condition of any given car anyway.

Woody
Woody UltimaDork
4/2/12 8:05 a.m.

Another product endorsement.

Immediately get yourself a jack pad:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/more_info.cgi?pn=10-6641-030-M230&catalog_description=Jack%20Pad%2C%20911%2C%20356%2C%20914%20%28through%201994%29

They're cheap and they make it possible to use your floor jack as a Porsche jack. You lift the whole side of the car at once.

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Reader
4/2/12 9:58 a.m.
Woody wrote:
octavious wrote:
I have read that they started in either '76 or '77. I don't know whether that means '76 cars are galvanized or if it means that the '77 model year cars that they began assembling in '76 were the first. At this point, it will come down to the condition of any given car anyway.

I believe Porsche started galvanizing for model year 1976, which would have occurred after the August break in 1975, so for production numbers starting September, 1975.

David

Woody
Woody UltimaDork
4/2/12 1:10 p.m.

In an effort to bring everyone up to speed on my expenses up to this point, here's a list of the parts that I bought, in no particular order:

Brake pads

Brake rotors turned (4)

Wheel bearing seals (2)

Fuses

Oil, oil filter and crush washers

Spark plugs

Oil tank sender gasket

Valve cover gasket set

Air filter

Air box straps

Fuel pump rubber buffers

Fuel pump clamp (used)

Front skid plate (used)

The total cost to get to this point, excluding miscellaneous stuff like WD40, grease, Dremel brushes, as well as tax, shipping and, as always, my labor was...

... $263.20.

benzbaron
benzbaron Dork
4/2/12 1:25 p.m.

Great project, I need one of the jack pad things for my mercedes, I hate the stock pogo stick jack.

oldtin
oldtin SuperDork
4/2/12 1:54 p.m.

You've done wheeler dealers proud - perfect example of picking up a scruffy, poor running/not running car on the cheap - put some know how to it and probably have a $10k car on your hands.

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps HalfDork
4/2/12 5:49 p.m.

Great thread Woody. Easy to follow and the pictures were spot on. Thanks for taking the time to share.

Woody
Woody UltimaDork
4/2/12 6:22 p.m.
oldtin wrote: ... put some know how to it and probably have a $10k car on your hands.

Ouch.

gamby
gamby PowerDork
4/3/12 12:41 a.m.

What's this, Woody??? You've done nuffing since I last left you!!!

Woody
Woody UltimaDork
4/3/12 10:13 a.m.

There will be a significant update coming in a day or so.

Photobucket

oldtin
oldtin SuperDork
4/3/12 10:45 a.m.
Woody wrote:
oldtin wrote: ... put some know how to it and probably have a $10k car on your hands.
Ouch.

Oops, been out of the market a while. $14k? Would be good if you could sort out the mileage on the title.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
4/3/12 11:58 a.m.
oldtin wrote:
Woody wrote:
Ouch.
Oops, been out of the market a while. $14k? Would be good if you could sort out the mileage on the title.

Lol-now you are just being mean! The ouch was because he sold it for less than $10k. I am pretty sure the price was a decent profit for Woody and a decent price for the new buyer. It was probably slightly less than he could get for it on the open market, but this transaction put cash in his hand quickly and painlessly without all the Ebay nonsense.

Woody
Woody UltimaDork
4/3/12 12:15 p.m.

^This.

docwyte
docwyte Reader
4/3/12 12:24 p.m.

You already sold it?

6 7 8 9 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bOjuPqAmAmEaCuiqGWNgV5kDTsj4CB0CH8S9CP6yFgppEozjAbhjvd2ygHFqJ4MQ