1 2 3
Lof8
Lof8 New Reader
2/14/10 1:19 p.m.

I bought a metal-bumpered 4-door in the fall of 2006 with lots of plans but not a lot of money:

The first purchase was a set of wheels. I also performed the tuck on the big aluminum bumpers:

They didn't last too long and I quickly sold them in favor of a set of enkei 92's. Also added some bilstein sports and Ireland Engineering springs:

I then gave it a facelift with a late model front valence and lip:

Next was a mild overhaul of the M20 with a rebuilt head, injectors, intake, chip and some cosmetics:

Next was the addition of a late model rear valence. This involves cutting the metal from the unibody of a newer e30 and grafting it to the older chassis:

Then I sold the old school wheels to fund a different set that were not yet in production. A set of ebay sportmax wheels in 15" were the temporary rollers. Also added a BBS rear spoiler:

Finally the new BBS RS reps in 16x7.5 and 16x9 arrived:

My plan from the beginning was to swap in a DOHC engine. 3 years after the initial car purchase, heres the S50 from a '95 M3. 240hp!

I'm a UF grad, using my FSU tshirt to get greasy.

It took a few months of troubleshooting the swap bugs, but she is near perfection now:

My remaining plans include some interior and engine bay cleanup.

Thanks for lookin

cwh
cwh SuperDork
2/14/10 1:28 p.m.

Lookin' real good. Hows it run?

mtn
mtn SuperDork
2/14/10 1:31 p.m.

Looks real good. This was a featured hot rod of the month, wasn't it?

Lof8
Lof8 New Reader
2/14/10 1:38 p.m.
cwh wrote: Lookin' real good. Hows it run?

It took some time to iron out a few issues, but it now hauls ass! My car seems to be from a strange production group. It had a strange fuel cooling system, brake bias valve that doesn't seem to be on most e30s and also some wiring differences from most others. Many of these dohc swaps go without a hitch, but mine had a few holdups. Its now a blast to drive!

mtn wrote: Looks real good. This was a featured hot rod of the month, wasn't it?

It sure was! Back in June of 2007.

vazbmw
vazbmw Reader
2/14/10 2:06 p.m.

Very nice I would like build a DD hotrod like that

Here is one dumb question, but I haven't had the opportunity to ask anyone. It looks like you have replace one of your high-beam lights with a screen for cold air. What do you do about high-beam? Do you pass inspection that way?

Thanks for any insight. I have thought about this for my E34

P71
P71 SuperDork
2/14/10 2:27 p.m.

That is a really clean build! I'm not into BMW's but I would totally rock that. Great job!

Lof8
Lof8 New Reader
2/14/10 2:31 p.m.
vazbmw wrote: Very nice I would like build a DD hotrod like that Here is one dumb question, but I haven't had the opportunity to ask anyone. It looks like you have replace one of your high-beam lights with a screen for cold air. What do you do about high-beam? Do you pass inspection that way? Thanks for any insight. I have thought about this for my E34

There are no inspections here in FL. When you hit the high beams, all 4 headlights come on. Now that I've taken one out, only 3 lights come on. Its still brighter than the lows, but obviously not as bright as if the 4th was there. Its not a daily driver and rarely gets driven at night.

vazbmw
vazbmw Reader
2/14/10 2:37 p.m.
Lof8 wrote: There are no inspections here in FL. When you hit the high beams, all 4 headlights come on. Now that I've taken one out, only 3 lights come on. Its still brighter than the lows, but obviously not as bright as if the 4th was there. Its not a daily driver and rarely gets driven at night.

Well done car. I love it. Thanks for the info

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Reader
2/14/10 3:06 p.m.

Very nice, thanks for sharing

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
2/14/10 3:07 p.m.

Clean, efficient, effective and to the point...All great mods. Thats a swap the way God intended! Well done sir, well done indeed!

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
2/14/10 3:25 p.m.

wow, that looks like a ton of fun. What was involved in the wiring of that? did you essentially mount the M3 wiring in the car, or was the ECU/engine wiring plug and play?

Lof8
Lof8 New Reader
2/14/10 3:34 p.m.

You use the wiring harness and ecu from the M3 engine. A few companies sell wiring adapters to mate the M3 engine harness to the e30 chassis harness. It can also be done fairly easily at home with a couple of harness ends from junk yard cars.

Its similar to the wiring adapter process of putting an aftermarket stereo head unit into a car. You take the two plugs with loose wires and connect the necessary wires.

maroon92 wrote:
Turbonutter
Turbonutter New Reader
2/14/10 3:35 p.m.

Your car is very clean and very well done. Mad respect... although, now you have me looking at used E30's again, gosh darnit.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 HalfDork
2/14/10 3:52 p.m.
Lof8 wrote:
vazbmw wrote: Very nice I would like build a DD hotrod like that Here is one dumb question, but I haven't had the opportunity to ask anyone. It looks like you have replace one of your high-beam lights with a screen for cold air. What do you do about high-beam? Do you pass inspection that way? Thanks for any insight. I have thought about this for my E34
There are no inspections here in FL. When you hit the high beams, all 4 headlights come on. Now that I've taken one out, only 3 lights come on. Its still brighter than the lows, but obviously not as bright as if the 4th was there. Its not a daily driver and rarely gets driven at night.

With the skills that you have shown, couldn't the one headlight be rewired to take a dual-element bulb?

Luke
Luke SuperDork
2/14/10 9:17 p.m.

Much love for this car. The engine swap looks extremely neat, and the final wheel choice is perfect.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Dork
2/14/10 11:13 p.m.

very cool project man! I love those e30s and I like yours a lot. A buddy of mine has a very similar looking one

not thread high jacking, showing the similarities lol DSC_0007.jpg

mtn
mtn SuperDork
2/14/10 11:17 p.m.

Does that one (actually, both) have the cardinal red interior?

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Reader
2/15/10 8:46 a.m.

LOVE that car. Love the stance, love the new wheels (didn't care for the gold BBS).

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
2/15/10 8:58 a.m.

Nice looking car! Any issues with rubbing on the back tires? Looks like a lot of offset on the rear wheels.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
2/15/10 9:20 a.m.

There is a point at which you say to yourself, "Have I gone too far?"

I am almost there :)

Matt B
Matt B Reader
2/15/10 9:38 a.m.

To the OP: that is the most drool-inducing 4 door E30 I've ever seen. Tasteful and effective mods. Aggressive but understated good looks. Super clean. Wanna sell it to me for a song? j/k

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
2/15/10 9:50 a.m.

Walter, UROC.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
2/15/10 9:56 a.m.

very very nice.. hard to find a clean 4door like that..

where'd you get the rims? I think they would look sick on my Fiat

Lof8
Lof8 New Reader
2/15/10 10:06 a.m.

Thanks a lot, guys!

wlkelley3 wrote: With the skills that you have shown, couldn't the one headlight be rewired to take a dual-element bulb?

The dual element bulb is a great idea. Its almost never driven at night, though, so its low on the priority list.

DirtyBird222 wrote: very cool project man! I love those e30s and I like yours a lot. A buddy of mine has a very similar looking one

I believe those are the same wheels with 7.5" all around. I think they look great!

mtn wrote: Does that one (actually, both) have the cardinal red interior?

yep, its got cardinal. Its a little rough, but not horrible. I recently replaced the driver with a sparco roadster seat.

stuart in mn wrote: Nice looking car! Any issues with rubbing on the back tires? Looks like a lot of offset on the rear wheels.

The earlier e30's (which mine is) had higher rear arches. This allows for better clearance. The fenders have been rolled and there is no rubbing.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: There is a point at which you say to yourself, "Have I gone too far?" I am almost there :)

I like. More pics?

mad_machine wrote: very very nice.. hard to find a clean 4door like that.. where'd you get the rims? I think they would look sick on my Fiat

Wheels are made by ESM in direct e30 fitment.

http://www.esmwheels.com/main/

dyintorace
dyintorace Dork
2/15/10 10:11 a.m.

Very nice looking car. You're in Gainesville, correct? Do you ever get the car out to the road course?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UL0CnDR1rS07Bb22ryP7d3mgmwmIisdpLEdeCpVxifoycWJvVq539lr85lKxCrA6