hobiercr
hobiercr UltraDork
2/14/23 11:56 a.m.

The compromise to the EV/ICE debate?

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
2/14/23 7:56 p.m.

This is the guy who took an old Jaguar sedan and tossed away the ICE and put a Tesla drive train in it

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/14/23 8:36 p.m.

Hotroders gonna hotrod. We will always screw with cars no matter the drivetrain. 

Racebrick
Racebrick Reader
2/14/23 9:06 p.m.

The best part is that emissions will never be an issue.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr PowerDork
2/14/23 9:13 p.m.

I watched this at lunch today.  What a great idea for a fun, fast car!

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
2/15/23 9:43 a.m.

Yeah, this is definitely something that I hope takes off. It seems like it would be less complicated than trying to make an actual hybrid as the two systems are basically separate. I love it. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
2/15/23 3:10 p.m.

That's fun! I really like those cars, and this is definitely a hot rodder approach.

Kendall Frederick
Kendall Frederick New Reader
2/15/23 3:22 p.m.

Saw this yesterday; love it!  I'd love to see somebody do this with the drive train from a higher performance EV like a Tesla, although I think the Tesla suite of electronics might not play as well with mysterious power at the "undriven" wheels..LOL.

mainlandboy
mainlandboy Reader
2/15/23 3:54 p.m.
frenchyd said:

This is the guy who took an old Jaguar sedan and tossed away the ICE and put a Tesla drive train in it

Just to clarify, this particular Leaf EV/ICE was built by someone else. SuperfastMatt is just reviewing it.

nocones
nocones PowerDork
2/15/23 5:36 p.m.

This is neat.  And I like the Idea...    

But do it again with a 2900lb Fiat e500

Its a pitty the 2400lb iMiev is RWD..  I can't believe I just typed that sentence.  

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
2/15/23 5:56 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Hotroders gonna hotrod. We will always screw with cars no matter the drivetrain. 

Hotrodders were hotrodding before cars.  Hotrodders will hotrod anything.

My 386 was faster than most 486s...

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo PowerDork
2/15/23 6:14 p.m.

I like this a lot better than an HammerStore Predator shoved in the trunk of a Tesla.

I like the ability to "tune" the output of each; although I suspect I'd have to do this with a car ICE instead of sport bike... #BecauseReasons.

Sleepywife has indicated a determined resistance to the above hybrid shenanigans.

Then again, I've got a languishing 7th gen civic project.  I wonder if there's an EV-ish unit that could be used to power the rear... since there's already a number of AWD swaps done on them.

Oapfu
Oapfu Reader
2/16/23 5:19 p.m.

In reply to nocones :

The battery in the 500E does a 'saddle tank' thing over the rear twist beam, so there is one battery module between the rear wheels.  Probably easier to just move that module vs. fitting the rear drivetrain around it?  Not as bad as the Spark EV which would require moving the entire battery.
Maybe move the electric drive to the front of the i-MiEV before putting ICE in the back?  OTOH, there is a Smart ED with GSXR powered front wheels:

https://s1.autorating.ru/upload/medialibrary/cea/ceaf8df2213ffea8cb0fc5abf97a681b.jpg

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ptdu80fgnOHr9KG5kk32qoY5LxdjC5jngu3nnEF5R4bixBsleLCBC8NYSbYR2k9m