9/16/20 6:52 a.m.
solfly said:

Are you trying to say yours will pull a house? lol 

solfly
solfly Dork
9/16/20 6:54 a.m.
rattfink81 said:

In reply to solfly :

Really? Guess I'll have to stop at a Chevy dealer and see. 

I finally ordered up and installed some 4x6 speakers and carefully removed the failing headliner. Cardboard is still good but the adhesive and clips that held it up had turned to dust.  Got a seat cover and center console coming from amazon. 

I see he wrote SIlverado now, not sure if others are available/the same?

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
9/16/20 11:18 a.m.

I've actually had 3 GMT400s and still currently own two. The first was a 1989 C1500 SCLB Scottsdale trim 5 speed with a 5.7 TBI. Great truck but rusty and purchased more for the drivetrain, which made its way into the Caprice Classic wagon I had at the time. No pics of this one.

The next one to enter my life was a 180k mile 1998 K1500 ECSB Z71 with the 5.7 vortec and automatic trans. All stock aside from the wheels and a custom stainless dual exhaust. I bought it with an obnoxious, rusted out exhaust, so that was more a necessity than a desire. Otherwise, it's just had usual mainenance. Clear coat is starting to come off now, and there is a little rust creeping in along the door bottoms.

After I sold the Caprice, I wanted another longroof that I could use to take the bikes to races, sleep in, etc. I picked up a Tahoe Limited to fill this gap, and have been slowly bringing it up to snuff. It's got 262k miles on it now, and I put about 20k miles on it per year. Ridetech coilovers at the front, SDTruckSprings leaves, axle flip, drop shackles, and some homemade stuff in the rear for Ridetech coilover shock mounting (without springs) in the rear. Drivetrain is stock for the moment, but have a T56 and another engine to go in eventually. Lots of little touches throughout this one.

solfly
solfly Dork
9/16/20 11:52 a.m.

That Tahoe is sweet! Did you have to notch it in the rear? Whats the wheel/tire package?

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
9/16/20 1:44 p.m.

In reply to solfly :

Thanks! It's about a 3/5" drop from what I've measured, but the stock ride height on GMT400s seems to vary quite a bit.

Yep, it is notched in the rear. This is as low as you can go with enough travel for good ride quality on the 4 door Tahoes (at least in my opinion) because the fuel filler comes out of the tank and goes right over the axle. That's the real limiting factor on bump travel, but you start gettign really close to the rear floor with the diff housing at about the same time. I did also have to modify one of the crossmembers in the driveshaft tunnel because the driveshaft could hit it on full compression, and I had to make a new over the axle section for the stock exhaust to raise it up and out of the way. I also pulled 2.5" out of the rear swaybar links, because the swaybar angle gets pretty darn extreme back there.

The wheels are 1994-1996 Impala SS wheels which are like 17x8.75ish -6mm offset. Chevy Venture minivan flat caps. Perfect fit for this chassis. I have lightly rolled the front fenders. Tires are 275/55r17.all the way around. I don't think I'd try to fit more tire than that under one of these while also being pretty low; it's pretty tight.

solfly
solfly Dork
9/16/20 2:50 p.m.

I've been going back and forth on what size wheel/tire combo to go with on a 2/4 drop. I'm leaning toward 18x9.5s right now, not sure if I can fit them on front and what size tire to run.

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/16/20 3:09 p.m.

In reply to solfly :

Stick to about 30 inch tall overall. Sweet spot for these when lowered if you ask me.

solfly
solfly Dork
9/16/20 3:28 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

yeah, that's roughly stock diameter. I don't want to do much smaller for sure but i'd like to get a 265+ on both ends and run a square setup

i like these:

they come in 17x7 0, 17x8 0, 18x8.5 -6, 18x8.5 10, 18x9.5 0

thoughts?

solfly
solfly Dork
9/16/20 3:29 p.m.

they also have 20" sizes but I'm not interested in going that big

9/16/20 3:32 p.m.

Im running 18 by something,  with spacers/adapters,  and a 255/55/18. With the right backspace,  which i assure you i don't have, i see no issue with a no rub 255-265 on a 18x9

If you feel more inclined to do math and figuring than me, my wheels are base Camaro wheels from about a 12-13, with 1.25 spacers front and 1.75 rear. Fender lips rolled heavily,  and slight rubbing over big dips on bolts in the front inner fenders.

solfly
solfly Dork
9/16/20 4:50 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

Yeah I ran those numbers back a while. I'll plug them in again. This calls for a spreadsheet.

solfly
solfly Dork
9/16/20 4:51 p.m.

What the fuel pump sees when you cut a hole in the bed

New York Nick
New York Nick New Reader
9/16/20 5:39 p.m.

I'm in. Here is my 1995 Suburban, just after a bath and wax last weekend. Waxing a suburban is no joke! That's a lot of paint. 
NYN

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
9/17/20 2:19 p.m.

I guess we're supposed to call these trucks "OBS" instead of GMT400 now?

solfly
solfly Dork
9/17/20 3:21 p.m.

I'm not a fan of that terminology but if you want people to know what you're talking about I guess we have to.

solfly
solfly Dork
9/17/20 3:33 p.m.

duster, can you post the starter you use? my big truck has been giving me signs...

9/17/20 4:07 p.m.

In reply to solfly :

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0081SB77I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fab_D-8yFbTXB0QQD

This exact one three times now, for three different vehicles. Two gmt400,  on 1960 Corvette. Never had one fail. Dunno if other brands/sellers are better or worse. but these just work.

drock25too
drock25too Reader
9/17/20 9:17 p.m.

Here is my 94 Suburban. I loved this old truck. The engine broke and it's parked by the shop. Someone needs to buy it before I do something crazy with it. I already have one crazy suburban project going.

untchabl
untchabl Reader
9/20/20 10:25 p.m.

Gave my truck a much needed wash this evening. May start gathering some parts for it over the winter. Thinking about a 2/4 drop, some different wheels and probably a soft tonneau cover.

Vigo (Forum Supporter)
Vigo (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/20/20 11:23 p.m.

I actually like those wheels a lot!

solfly
solfly Dork
9/21/20 7:32 a.m.

nice looking longbed

untchabl
untchabl Reader
9/21/20 8:03 a.m.

Thanks guys, the truck used to belong to my grandpa so it's the only vehicle I own that I'll never sell. It's a 1990 that has 119k original miles. Unfortunately the paint is starting to fall off of it.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
9/21/20 8:16 a.m.

We have 2 GMT400's in our fleet, a 3/4 ton 'Burban and a crew cab long bed dually K3500.  Both great trucks. 

I kindof want a flush headlight 1/2 ton regular cab 2WD truck to round out the collection.  Long or short bed, doesn't matter, but not a stepside.  I never liked how the tailights looked on those.  Ideally, it would be a hotted-up 350 with an automatic, lowered just enough to make it mean.  The small block equivalent of the 454SS. 

Vigo (Forum Supporter)
Vigo (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/22/20 1:22 p.m.
1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
l8DdF7KS27qMZgmQc31EvOfHx2XHaaxkwSJ0TJVv6QU7k1i2heg8MaI6Yx1cRVOu