white_fly
white_fly New Reader
12/16/11 11:51 a.m.

I have a 2001 V70 with a manual transmission. After replacing my front driver's side CV joint I went for a test drive, heard a sound which I thought was a boost hose coming off and had no drive. After towing the car back to my garage and removing the new CV joint, I saw that the tip of CV joint had broken off in my transmission at the location of the groove for the retaining ring.

I tried removing the other CV joint and pushing the broken piece through, but the hole does not go all the way through the transmission. I do not want to tap into the tip and have a bunch of metal shavings in my transmission. The only alternative I can see is to take the transmission out and take it all apart, or pay someone else to do it.

Is there a way to avoid this? Have you ever seen this problem before? On any car? If so, how was it repaired?

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit Reader
12/16/11 11:55 a.m.

Post some pics, might help.

Paul B

white_fly
white_fly New Reader
12/16/11 11:58 a.m.

Will do. I already returned the CV itself, but the tip is still in there.

Run_Away
Run_Away Reader
12/16/11 12:31 p.m.

Strong magnet?

jhaas
jhaas Reader
12/16/11 12:50 p.m.

^^^YES, i have an extendable one with 15-20lb lift.

ransom
ransom Dork
12/16/11 12:55 p.m.

Or perhaps some rod or allthread (or a stick?) with some 5-minute epoxy on the end?

Wish I knew how firmly the rest of it was in there...

44Dwarf
44Dwarf Dork
12/16/11 1:38 p.m.

Arc welder set on 120 amps with 1/8dia 6011 rod Jam it in the hole and arc to the tip push hard then unclip the power lead LET COOL then pull on rod.

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
12/16/11 1:46 p.m.

Is the spring clip still in the trans or did it come out with the axle?

vw_jason79
vw_jason79 New Reader
12/16/11 2:24 p.m.
Vigo wrote: Is the spring clip still in the trans or did it come out with the axle?

Yeah, if the clip is still on the shaft it may be hard to get it out with even a strong magnet. The epoxy may work, but if you know someone with a welder that might be the best way.

Don49
Don49 Reader
12/16/11 3:57 p.m.

+2 for the welder.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy HalfDork
12/16/11 4:41 p.m.

+3 for welding BTDT

erohslc
erohslc HalfDork
12/16/11 6:10 p.m.

Wrap the body of the welding rod in some kind of insulator. Either fiberglass mat, or use a piece of PVC pipe or other plastic to insulate it. If it somehow welds into the inside of the tranny, then you are well and truly screwed.

jhaas
jhaas Reader
12/16/11 7:46 p.m.

the case is aluminum, so it shouldn't be an issue

i agree that hitting it with a welding rod will work, depending on how far in there it is

44Dwarf
44Dwarf Dork
12/16/11 9:33 p.m.

you sholdn't need to wrap the rod if the flux it in good shape it will not arc through the flux.

former520
former520 Reader
12/17/11 12:17 p.m.

I do not have anything to add to the ideas to remove, but I do have a similar (with worse results) story to share. I had the tip break off on a Talon I had. I had just put a new transmission in and the shalf pulled loose ona test drive. Locked it back in and thought nothing else of it. The next symptom of any issue was a tug from the driveline during a transit at a rally. I turned to my co-driver and said 'did you feel that?' and he said 'feel what?' right as the transmisson siezed, locked up all four and stopped us right on the spot dead. The tip had made it to the front diff and made an etch a sketch patter around the housing before exiting throug a new hole in the bottom, why always the bottom, ruining every baring from lack of fluid.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LRSYC9BKUNWk9WSD0bqTK0I217dvGe80z0UcEuv1KjVAZGoa4VIKbaiMAIknydej