1 2 3 4
Jerry
Jerry UberDork
1/18/19 9:59 p.m.

It's a good start to season 3.  Way less talking, hardly any forced banter with the audience (remember the episode where they pretended to get into fist fights?), just a bit of Convo Street.  Hope they can keep this up.

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
1/18/19 10:06 p.m.
Jerry said:

It's a good start to season 3.  Way less talking, hardly any forced banter with the audience (remember the episode where they pretended to get into fist fights?), just a bit of Convo Street.  Hope they can keep this up.

After this season they are doing away with the tents and crowds to just focus on major road trips.

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
1/18/19 11:25 p.m.

Good start for season 3.

I do wish they had stuck with the stock versions of the halo muscle cars:  GT350R, ZL1 1LE and Hellcat Widebody.

The Senna is just incredible!

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
1/18/19 11:49 p.m.

Great start to Season 3 for sure. 

Interesting to see that the Camaro and Senna had automatic transmissions.

Antihero
Antihero Dork
1/19/19 12:00 a.m.

Nice start to the season, i enjoyed it.

Gotta say though...the supercharger sounded way whinier than i thought it would

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
1/19/19 7:40 a.m.
Brett_Murphy said:

Great start to Season 3 for sure. 

Interesting to see that the Camaro and Senna had automatic transmissions.

I can’t think of a single hypercar with a manual transmission these days and I’m not sure I’d want a hellcat or demon with a manual either. 

It was nice to see Detroit though. Predictably they played up all stereotypes but they did it with the typical tongue-in-cheek fashion. The drag race on Michigan Avenue, they claim in the whole place was deserted when you can see police cars blocking the road in the distance and kids playing in the background. I like it that they never take them selves too seriously.

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
1/19/19 7:49 a.m.
Antihero said:

Gotta say though...the supercharger sounded way whinier than i thought it would

I thought it would get really annoying after awhile if I owned one.

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon SuperDork
1/19/19 8:04 a.m.

I enjoyed it and so did my wife who is not a car person at all. I was mildly annoyed that they described the Hennessy Camaro as having standard Camaro suspension and brakes, only an upgraded engine when the ZL1 is far from a standard Camaro to begin with.

That RTR Mustang is a neat car.

RevRico
RevRico UberDork
1/19/19 8:30 a.m.

I liked it. I wasn't impressed, and acually a little surprised that they were pimping Hennessey, but seeing the hour plus changeover for the Demon at drag time, and whatever bizzaro mustang that was, was pretty cool. 

What's more fun was being able to do everything but the part with the Senna in the Grand Tour game. I like how they are tying the episodes to the game this season, and letting you watch the episode as you play along. 

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
1/19/19 9:26 a.m.

In reply to RevRico :

what game?

RevRico
RevRico UberDork
1/19/19 9:30 a.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson :

The Grand Tour game

Differnet link that might not need membership

Amazon, in their infinite wisdom, have made a game of the show. They did the first episodes of Season 1 and 2, and are releasing every episode from season 3 as they come out. You can watch most of the episodes, but then when actual car things happen like races or Jeremy going sideways, you can play them. 

It's definitely not Forza/Gran Turismo quality, more like Mario Kart with fancy cars and some English blokes talking trash to each other. 

rslifkin
rslifkin UltraDork
1/19/19 9:37 a.m.

Only thing I have to add is the intro to yesterday's episode.  It contains an E38 7 series.  I want to know what they're going to do with it.  Of course, they'll probably just destroy it, but who knows...

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
1/19/19 8:40 p.m.

I was entertained. The one hour apples vs orangutans car comparisons are getting a little monotonous though.

psteav
psteav Dork
1/20/19 8:12 a.m.
rslifkin said:

Only thing I have to add is the intro to yesterday's episode.  It contains an E38 7 series.  I want to know what they're going to do with it.  Of course, they'll probably just destroy it, but who knows...

I'm guessing it's some sort of ode to the Transporter films.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
1/20/19 9:51 a.m.

seems like someone used to go to SniffPetrol.com 

cant seem to post the pic  but it's the twitter campaign which uses the word E36 M3. angel

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
1/27/19 8:24 p.m.

The 2 part special was good, again no chit chat.  I noticed minor things like suddenly Hammond's headlights were working again near the end, did he fix them at some point or editing?  Funny how the Panda kicked the stupid truck's ass in a rolling drag race.  By a large margin.  I already liked the Panda and when the exhaust fell off and he was racing down the gravel road I liked it even better.

Also they already did the whole mountain climb thing years ago.  They knew exactly what to expect.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
1/27/19 8:32 p.m.

I'm torn on this show.  The premise of the special was incredibly dumb.  The writing is over the top corny.  But I still laughed and watched it in good company while enjoying beer so...

I'm pretty sure the drag race thing was a joke.  A slow as an old 454 lifted chevy is, it is not 49hp Fiat Panda slow.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf SuperDork
1/27/19 8:40 p.m.

Might just have to give the newest season a try based on the feedback I've heard on the Detroit episode.  I tried watching when it first launched season one on Prime and I just found it really forced and hard to watch and gave up after 3 episodes or so.  

bigev007
bigev007 Reader
1/27/19 9:32 p.m.
nutherjrfan said:

seems like someone used to go to SniffPetrol.com 

cant seem to post the pic  but it's the twitter campaign which uses the word E36 M3. angel

Sniff Petrol is Richard Porter, script editor for Top Gear and now The Grand Tour. :p

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ Dork
1/27/19 9:40 p.m.

I’ve always thought it was missing the secret sauce that TG had.  S3 E1: meh.  Wife left the room and didn’t return.  S3 E2& E3: Epic.  This was them at their level best.  Wife sat through both and laughed and giggled like a schoolgirl.  I hope they never return to the tent.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler PowerDork
1/27/19 9:48 p.m.

Concur. I really enjoyed the Columbia special. For me, it was up there with any of the classic TG specials.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
1/27/19 10:37 p.m.

Is this show still on?  I gave up after a particularly craptastic episode a few years back. It was so bad I don't know if I want to chance another go. 

I can't remember what the episode was, but it was one of the worst episodes of any show I've ever seen. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/27/19 11:00 p.m.
Jerry said:

The 2 part special was good, again no chit chat.  I noticed minor things like suddenly Hammond's headlights were working again near the end, did he fix them at some point or editing?  Funny how the Panda kicked the stupid truck's ass in a rolling drag race.  By a large margin.  I already liked the Panda and when the exhaust fell off and he was racing down the gravel road I liked it even better.

Also they already did the whole mountain climb thing years ago.  They knew exactly what to expect.

I think they got fixed when he painted it black and green. And the panda DID sound better sans exhaust. It was weird. Made me sort of want one. 

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
1/28/19 1:26 a.m.
DrBoost said:

Is this show still on?  I gave up after a particularly craptastic episode a few years back. It was so bad I don't know if I want to chance another go. 

I can't remember what the episode was, but it was one of the worst episodes of any show I've ever seen. 

Probably the one they went “Commando” and tried to make it through a Counter-Strike style map.  It was terrible, just terrible and I felt embarrassed for them.  It did get better from there, but that was a low point for them.

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
1/28/19 1:28 a.m.
A 401 CJ said:

I’ve always thought it was missing the secret sauce that TG had.  S3 E1: meh.  Wife left the room and didn’t return.  S3 E2& E3: Epic.  This was them at their level best.  Wife sat through both and laughed and giggled like a schoolgirl.  I hope they never return to the tent.

Yeah, I had S3 e2/3 running while I was doing laundry/changing baby diapers, etc.  came back and found the wife and her best friend watching and laughing.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
e4ebLcSx0Akhh3Cfo9M7LOEyQAVNlCMoHaSHLgYgqTMduaICyvxuAGvZ8zphjRFE