1 2 3 4
Cactus
Cactus Reader
7/18/17 9:34 p.m.

Why have one car for 70k when you can have 10ish cars for a tenth of that? Overall, I'm more pleased with the cars I've bought for under $10K than the ones I've paid more than that for.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
7/18/17 9:44 p.m.
poopshovel again wrote: Aaaaaand now you shiny happy people have me shopping for Vagons.

It's the right answer. You know it to be true.

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller Reader
7/18/17 9:48 p.m.

Funny, I've thought about this quite a bit. I can't nail it down but I would have to think hard about these three. Corvette Grandsport, Mustang GT350R, Cayman S.

Or spend it all on making my 914 the most awesome six ever.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
7/18/17 9:56 p.m.

My house didn't cost that much.

secretariata
secretariata Dork
7/18/17 9:57 p.m.

I haven't thought about this much at all, but given the restriction of one car I'm thinking Crammit ZL1 1LE as a new car. Haven't considered what can be had for $70k on the used market because $20k is the most I've ever spent on a new car...

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku PowerDork
7/18/17 10:06 p.m.

Caddy ATS-V coupe

yupididit
yupididit Dork
7/18/17 10:06 p.m.

I think the exercise is to actually spend the 70k.

F Type R -Shaguar!

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
7/18/17 10:16 p.m.

911 Turbo. No question.

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
7/18/17 10:26 p.m.

There is so much in that price bracket. It's not whether I could find something I want for 70k, but how I would choose.

I'll throw a couple of opposites out there that would both be contenders for me:

New Challenger Hellcat

Late 60s early 70s Mercedes 280sl

grover
grover Reader
7/18/17 10:45 p.m.
yupididit wrote: I think the exercise is to actually spend the 70k. F Type R -Shaguar!

yep, and good choice! those make great noises.

Mike
Mike SuperDork
7/18/17 11:36 p.m.

That's used R8 territory. 360 Modena. GT-R. Tesla Roadster. 456GT. There are options at that price. Hell, Geländewagen. Cayenne GTS manual. Can I get a Local Motors Rally Fighter?

JeffHarbert
JeffHarbert HalfDork
7/19/17 5:27 a.m.

Lotus Evora.

sesto elemento
sesto elemento SuperDork
7/19/17 6:10 a.m.

I'd build one hell of a supra for $70k. 1gz-fe, itbs, gt3rs style build.

Armitage
Armitage HalfDork
7/19/17 7:26 a.m.

Lightly used Model S or GT-R or maybe a dedicated race car + tow vehicle + trailer.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/19/17 7:34 a.m.

Ford Mustang GT350R.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
7/19/17 7:36 a.m.

Whatever is both street and race legal, and hard to destroy in either usage- after all, it needs to make up for the 15 or so cars that I would have bought and destroyed in its' place. Probably something along these lines:

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Dork
7/19/17 7:40 a.m.

What in the world is a vagon? google makes it look like a train car.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 SuperDork
7/19/17 7:42 a.m.
rustybugkiller wrote: Corvette Grandsport, Mustang GT350R, Cayman S.

Those are the exact three I thought of. I'd have to drive all three back to back (extensively ) to decide which feels most special.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
7/19/17 7:49 a.m.

This question doesn't process. It's like asking what would happen if a submarine flew through the sky. It's just not a possible thing for my brain to process.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
7/19/17 7:57 a.m.

I need more restrictions. Is this $70K for one car and it's the only car I can have? Because that would definitely affect my choice.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
7/19/17 8:00 a.m.

Oldest 21 window VW van I can camp in.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
7/19/17 8:06 a.m.

In reply to Ian F:

I assumed it was the only car I could have.

I dream about the "one vehicle to rule them all" thing a lot, and really would love to try it some day- modular attachments for carrying different things (removable for racing), different bolt-on suspension setups, a zillion wheels and tires. Sure, it would be a lot of work, but if it's the only thing you work on it might be doable.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad PowerDork
7/19/17 8:06 a.m.
RevRico wrote: Making a running driving biturbo

That isn't enough money.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
7/19/17 8:23 a.m.

In reply to ¯_(ツ)_/¯:

That's how I take it as well.

My first thought - my 2003 TDI wagon with a lot of money thrown at it for suspension, power and tech upgrades.

An ALH engine is capable of quite a bit. I'd probably limit the build to FSP specs, but a lot more could be done if you don't care about classing.

For suspension, a set of GC coil-overs would make the car a good for autocross or rally-cross, due to how the suspension generally needs a "lift" to work better. Then it's just a matter of tires and how many sets of wheels can you get.

The debate would be brakes. Upgrade for better performance, or stay small so it can still fit 15" wheels for RX? Since we have a decent budget to play with, I'd probably contact Wilwood and see what options could be had that will still fit under a 15" rally wheel.

Inside, I'd source some sport seats from Europe as well as upgrade the stereo.

When done, the car would be a decent jack-of-all-trades. A fairly comfortable commuter that is still capable of 50 MPG. A fun weekend autocross or rallycross car. And able to pull around a reasonable little camping or utility trailer should you need to haul more than will fit in the wagon.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem HalfDork
7/19/17 8:37 a.m.

The nicest, lowest mileage 1998 porsche 993 perhaps with widebody option. Last of aircooled 911s.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YUlU2PV1zjCqE3AZlxRH7EcE4gmjkOBfVL6Ixa9fpmQj8kr5loBtTkJU9DNbfvVf