2 3 4 5
chaparral
chaparral Dork
7/20/17 10:27 a.m.

If no heavy hauling is envisioned, that is enough to build a seriously good Ultima, Stealth B6, or FF GTM.

If the street is already taken care of, that is enough to buy a used ChampCar.

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
7/20/17 10:34 a.m.

Newest 6 speed manual Aston DB9 Volante I could find.

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
7/20/17 10:43 a.m.

Knee jerk reaction would be much like the others with a Porsche or an F type (has to be BRG though) but thinking more and more about it if it's the only vehicle this IMHO makes a very solid candidate.

I know it's not a car but hard to argue at least some merit for it.

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
7/20/17 10:46 a.m.
Chris_V wrote: Newest 6 speed manual Aston DB9 Volante I could find.

I'm actively looking for one now. There are 2 for sale in the country that I can find that are manual volantes. There are 3 manual coupes. Automatics are everywhere, boo. The fact that I want an actual color instead of black or grey makes it more difficult too.

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
7/20/17 7:59 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Not that I can afford it, but if I had it, I'd rather go for the non-Cross Country version. But here's a better idea: If you had to spend $70,000 on one just one car, what would you go with? Something new? A classic? Race car? Just one car, though. Right now I'm building a Cayman online--do I do a loaded regular Cayman or a stripped S?

After reading the article about the Golf GTE, I'd get an Audi A3 e-tron. If the full budget must be consumed, I'd store it against future repairs, as according to Wikipedia, production is in the low three digits worldwide.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
7/20/17 9:32 p.m.

Where I am currently in life I have no desire for a 70K car. I have no place to keep it and really no need for one.

If I were in a place where a 70K car would make any kind of sense it would likely be the nicest version of one of these that I could find for the money.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
7/20/17 10:07 p.m.

In reply to Nick (Bo) Comstock:

I'd think you'd get pretty close to flawless with that kind of cake. Smokey cars aside, the trans am f bodies never seem to perform as well on the muscle car market compared to the camaro sibling.

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
7/20/17 10:19 p.m.

I just realized I could turn my D350 into the dumbest vehicle on earth for 70k.

That leaves $24k to make it fit and come up with a drivetrain that will live behind it.

I'm lying, this isn't the first time I've thought of this.

yupididit
yupididit Dork
7/20/17 11:51 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: Geez a lot of you are boring and no fun. Can't even participate in a fun thought experiment.

LoL they start adding their own logic and criteria to it. Its simple, 70k and one vehicle. Not how you'd buy 7 10k cars or one 5k car and bank 65k.

But, keeping this forum on topic is an exercise in itself

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
7/21/17 6:30 a.m.

In reply to JtspellS:

Every now and again I have to remind myself that we now live in a world where $70k pickups are a thing.

That said the Raptor is a lot of fun.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
7/21/17 7:06 a.m.

Wait...I am still stuck at 70k for a VOLVO? We talking Granny panties for the price of fine lingerie here. Did I just wake up in an alternate universe?

Nick (Bo) Comstock
7/21/17 9:15 a.m.

In reply to mndsm:

I think you should look again. Early cars are big money, especially super duties.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider SuperDork
7/21/17 12:08 p.m.

Grade 1 and 2 SD's are 6 digit cars even for the mid 70's versions.

Oh, Since I only spent half can I get a 89 turbo trans am with the change?

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
7/21/17 12:29 p.m.
NOHOME wrote: Wait...I am still stuck at 70k for a VOLVO? We talking Granny panties for the price of fine lingerie here. Did I just wake up in an alternate universe?

You haven't driven a Volvo made in the last ten-fifteen years I take it. They aren't clunky bland 240s anymore.

This attitude is why the US didn't get the WRX for the longest time. Who'd pay that much money for a Subaru?

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
7/21/17 12:39 p.m.
Nick (Bo) Comstock wrote: Where I am currently in life I have no desire for a 70K car. I have no place to keep it and really no need for one. If I were in a place where a 70K car would make any kind of sense it would likely be the nicest version of one of these that I could find for the money.

Dude first you use my quote in your signature, and now it's like we're the SAME PERSON!

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
7/21/17 12:59 p.m.
tuna55 wrote:
Nick (Bo) Comstock wrote: Where I am currently in life I have no desire for a 70K car. I have no place to keep it and really no need for one. If I were in a place where a 70K car would make any kind of sense it would likely be the nicest version of one of these that I could find for the money.
Dude first you use my quote in your signature, and now it's like we're the SAME PERSON!

There are a couple bitchin camaros/trans-ams on buyavette.net...as well as a reasonably priced Vagon. If it wasn't a slushbox, I'd be sorely tempted....

Harvey
Harvey Dork
7/21/17 1:11 p.m.

Well, as it goes I'd probably answer your query for one answer with exactly one answer in multiple sub-parts.

I'm going with new car, what would I buy, because otherwise it's just going down a road of used car pricing.

At $70k new I'd probably go with this in reality.

M3 Sedan in this eye bleeding yellow with the orange interior.

If the weather is always nice where I'm living and my wife and kid don't need to go with me at the same time ever.

Devilsolsi
Devilsolsi Reader
7/21/17 1:24 p.m.
Cactus wrote: Why have one car for 70k when you can have 10ish cars for a tenth of that? Overall, I'm more pleased with the cars I've bought for under $10K than the ones I've paid more than that for.

Not everyone has room for that many cars, or the time to maintain them.

Because I occasionally need a car to be practical, for $70K I would be looking at M3, S4, AMG C class, etc..The Alfa Gulia (sp?) sure is pretty.

If I thought I could get by with just a sports car, it would be a 997 Turbo or GT3, current gen Viper or perhaps an AMG GT if they have depreciated far enough.

D2W
D2W Reader
7/21/17 3:27 p.m.

I have a confession to make. In my late 40s I have evolved. I no longer have the desire to work on cars.

So if this is a discussion about one car for 70k then I would make a list and buy one car on the list a year, trade it in the following year on another car on the list. A C7 followed by a 911 followed by an M3 and so on. If I could come up with 70K for the first one I surely could come up with 10-20K the following years to pay for depreciation.

Old cars, while I respect the design and the nostalgia, They actually suck to drive compared to a new car.

The practical side of me and what would really happen is I would buy a new pickup.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
7/21/17 3:39 p.m.
Sonic wrote:
Chris_V wrote: Newest 6 speed manual Aston DB9 Volante I could find.
I'm actively looking for one now. There are 2 for sale in the country that I can find that are manual volantes. There are 3 manual coupes. Automatics are everywhere, boo. The fact that I want an actual color instead of black or grey makes it more difficult too.

Cannot believe that I am saying this but I prefer the 6 speed auto in the DB9. Its actually a better fit for the car for GT duties.

NickD
NickD SuperDork
7/21/17 3:48 p.m.

Since I'm into old Mopars, in which $70k gets you a nice basket case because "It could be a Hemi car", I'll have to go with a Hellcat Challenger. Make it Plum Crazy with the OEM optional bronze wheels and a 6-speed, thank you.

Or maybe my Miata that I already have, and put together the crazy twincharged BP-4W that I'm thinking of and widebody and all the goods.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
7/21/17 4:09 p.m.

In reply to NickD:

Along the old Mopar thought, I could probably build a fun '69 Charger resto-mod with a $70K budget. Find a basket case shell; get one of those aftermarket frames; mix in a GenIII SRT Hemi w/ a 6 spd; finish off with tolerable paint and a reasonably nice interior... Assuming I could rust-proof it well enough to live through the winter salt seasons, I could live with that as my only car.

APEowner
APEowner HalfDork
7/21/17 4:20 p.m.

I'm boring and practical. I'd replace my aging F250 with a new Dodge 3500.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
7/21/17 5:27 p.m.
tuna55 wrote:

I seriously laughed at that quote for like three days! I had to use it

t25torx
t25torx Dork
7/23/17 5:18 p.m.

2013 Maserati Granturismo

Or a 2013 Dodge Viper GTS

2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MiJPUQftJNrREaiMaFb8GEEYDaPX98ShfYLAxqAyTbV3ot9mfzT7D5ZucAbC5OeN