1 2 3
snap_understeer
snap_understeer Reader
5/16/12 8:45 a.m.

A guy at my workplace is giving up his 98 cavalier with a stick. It's bright green, and there's a rust hole in the passenger side doors the size of a Giant Party Sub. It's perfect. He said the dealer will give him $100, and the scrap dealer will give him $120. I'm hopefully taking it away for the incredibly low price of $150. Pics to come later today. It needs new pads and shoes, plus a tune-up and premium gas, but there is no structural rust, and it just passed it's e-test last month.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
5/16/12 8:47 a.m.

SWMBO had a 98 Z24 5 speed - it was a hoot!

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
5/16/12 8:47 a.m.

In reply to snap_understeer:

Why the hell would put premium gas in that POS?

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UltraDork
5/16/12 8:48 a.m.

If you're going to keep it, buy good pads, and rotors (if required). otherwise you'll end up doing them every year.

snap_understeer
snap_understeer Reader
5/16/12 8:51 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote: In reply to snap_understeer: Why the hell would put premium gas in that POS?

Because Ethanol ruins the fuel injectors, fuel pump, fuel lines, etc on cars before 2004. I learned that the hard way.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker UltimaDork
5/16/12 8:53 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote: In reply to snap_understeer: Why the hell would put premium gas in that POS?

To raise it's value.

MG Bryan
MG Bryan SuperDork
5/16/12 8:54 a.m.
snap_understeer wrote:
Because Ethanol ruins the fuel injectors, fuel pump, fuel lines, etc on cars before 2004. I learned that the hard way.

False.

snap_understeer
snap_understeer Reader
5/16/12 8:55 a.m.
MG Bryan wrote:
snap_understeer wrote:
False.

Please explain.

simplecat
simplecat New Reader
5/16/12 9:01 a.m.
snap_understeer wrote:

It wouldn't help anyway, all 3 grades of fuel typically have the same amount of bioethanol anyway. Its usually mandated by the state, Oregon is e10.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UltraDork
5/16/12 9:06 a.m.

Where he lives, I think gas has to contain an average of 5%. Some has 10%, and some has none, but it's almost impossible to find out who does, and who doesn't put it in their various grades of fuel. That aside, there is no evidence to suggest that it has any effect on any of the mentioned parts.

MG Bryan
MG Bryan SuperDork
5/16/12 9:06 a.m.
snap_understeer wrote:
MG Bryan wrote:
snap_understeer wrote:
False.
Please explain.

Ethanol sucks, but this "ZOMG IT DESTROYED MY FUEL SYSTEM" E36 M3 is blown way out of proportion.

It's also in all three grades of gasoline at this point so you wouldn't be circumventing this non-issue anyway.

I've never had a problem stemming from ethanol in my gas and I've never owned anything made after 2002. Even old fuel lines and Weber carbs help up to this demon gas just fine.

snap_understeer
snap_understeer Reader
5/16/12 9:07 a.m.
simplecat wrote:
snap_understeer wrote:
It wouldn't help anyway, all 3 grades of fuel typically have the same amount of bioethanol anyway. Its usually mandated by the state, Oregon is e10.

If I don't use either V-Power or Ultra 91, there is ethanol in my gas. It's only mandated on the first two grades of gasoline in Ontario

MG Bryan
MG Bryan SuperDork
5/16/12 9:10 a.m.
snap_understeer wrote:
simplecat wrote:
snap_understeer wrote:
If I don't use either V-Power or Ultra 91, there is ethanol in my gas. It's only mandated on the first two grades of gasoline in Ontario

In that case, I've no idea what they put in your gas. I maintain that the amount of ethanol in today's gas isn't going to hurt anything though.

snap_understeer
snap_understeer Reader
5/16/12 9:10 a.m.
MG Bryan wrote:
snap_understeer wrote:
MG Bryan wrote:
snap_understeer wrote:
False.
Please explain.
Ethanol sucks, but this "ZOMG IT DESTROYED MY FUEL SYSTEM" E36 M3 is blown way out of proportion. It's also in all three grades of gasoline at this point so you wouldn't be circumventing this non-issue anyway. I've never had a problem stemming from ethanol in my gas and I've never owned anything made after 2002. Even old fuel lines and Weber carbs help up to this demon gas just fine.

Ethanol will deposit slightly on your fuel system, bu it makes the 02 sensors on early variable valve timing cars go berkleying crazy.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson Dork
5/16/12 9:11 a.m.
snap_understeer wrote: A guy at my workplace is giving up his 98 cavalier with a stick. It's bright green, and there's a rust hole in the passenger side doors the size of a Giant Party Sub. It's perfect. He said the dealer will give him $100, and the scrap dealer will give him $120. I'm hopefully taking it away for the incredibly low price of $150. Pics to come later today. It needs new pads and shoes, plus a tune-up and premium gas, but there is no structural rust, and it just passed it's e-test last month.

Why offer $150 when he's only getting $120 from the scrappy? Offer the same $120 and pick it up rather than him having to get it to the scrappy, it's the same price but less hassel for him

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
5/16/12 9:12 a.m.

They started putting ethanol in gas in the '70s and any semi-modern car (aka at least '80 or newer) should have no problems with ethanol.

dculberson
dculberson Dork
5/16/12 9:12 a.m.

Does that have the "twin cam" engine? (The descendent of the quad4) If so then it would be an awesome donor for a 5-speed swap for my Quad4 CRX.

snap_understeer
snap_understeer Reader
5/16/12 9:14 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
snap_understeer wrote: A guy at my workplace is giving up his 98 cavalier with a stick. It's bright green, and there's a rust hole in the passenger side doors the size of a Giant Party Sub. It's perfect. He said the dealer will give him $100, and the scrap dealer will give him $120. I'm hopefully taking it away for the incredibly low price of $150. Pics to come later today. It needs new pads and shoes, plus a tune-up and premium gas, but there is no structural rust, and it just passed it's e-test last month.
Why offer $150 when he's only getting $120 from the scrappy? Offer the same $120 and pick it up rather than him having to get it to the scrappy, it's the same price but less hassel for him

the scrappy offers free towing, and $150 for him helps with the cost of getting his recently deceased uncle's 944 from BC to Guelph.

dculberson
dculberson Dork
5/16/12 9:14 a.m.
snap_understeer wrote: Ethanol will deposit slightly on your fuel system, bu it makes the 02 sensors on early variable valve timing cars go berkleying crazy.

Where did you get that info? Because I've never owned a car that new and I've never had a fuel system problem. The newest car I've got right now is a 96 and it's fine. I think you're listening to the wrong crowd.

snap_understeer
snap_understeer Reader
5/16/12 9:15 a.m.
dculberson wrote: Does that have the "twin cam" engine? (The descendent of the quad4) If so then it would be an awesome donor for a 5-speed swap for my Quad4 CRX.

I'm not sure, but if it is a twin cam, there's no way I'm just parting it out.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UltraDork
5/16/12 9:15 a.m.
snap_understeer wrote: Ethanol will deposit slightly on your fuel system, bu it makes the 02 sensors on early variable valve timing cars go berkleying crazy.

Where do you get information like this?

Ethanol is not mandated in any grades of Ontario gas. They must maintain an average, and it can be found in all grades, including some premium. Actually finding out who uses what is almost impossible.

snap_understeer
snap_understeer Reader
5/16/12 9:16 a.m.
dculberson wrote:
Where did you get that info? Because I've never owned a car that new and I've never had a fuel system problem. The newest car I've got right now is a 96 and it's fine. I think you're listening to the wrong crowd.

I got that info from experience with a 2001 sienna.

snap_understeer
snap_understeer Reader
5/16/12 9:18 a.m.

Why don't we just close the door on the ethanol debate. I think you guys are right. The 02 sensors in early VVT-i Siennas were terrible, and ethanol has been around as long as this Cavalier. Case Closed

sachilles
sachilles Dork
5/16/12 9:34 a.m.

My sister had a couple of those cars when they were new. I seem to remember they had pretty quick steering.

dculberson
dculberson Dork
5/16/12 9:49 a.m.

I'm not asking you to part it out, I'm asking you to buy my Quad4 CRX and do the manual swap to it. ;-)

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
551ejQDUEToDSwHrB9nfW17sOu5s1SQE0AolStOxpjVAoYCR3SYfjmDTguySuQaN