TVR Scott
TVR Scott SuperDork
4/20/21 11:48 a.m.

Ok, so the mighty Bridgestone RE-71R has been discontinued.  What 200 TW tires would people recommend for my Focus ST running in G-Street?

Also, I'm doing an autocross training class with my 16 y/o daughter in a couple weeks.  This will be her first time autocross driving.  She is registered, and I'm wait-listed right now.  The day after is the first race of the summer season.  Choices:

1. Run my old and worn stock Goodyear Eagle F1 summer tires on the stock 18's Saturday and Sunday both.  These should prove pretty forgiving for a new driver on Saturday.  Sunday grip for the race would be lame.  The expectation would be the old tires would be replaced immediately after the weekend.

2. Put brand new rubber on the 18's for both days, and my daughter gets to break in the new tires.  Maybe too much for a beginner's first day???

3. Leave my 17" Blizzak snow tires on the car, and destroy them on Saturday.  Have new rubber on the 18's ready, and swap them on for Sunday race day.  The snow tires are done either way.  Potential problem - we ruin the snow tires so much that they no longer hold air.  Potential plus - could lower the limit of adhesion in a way positive to a new driver.

Thoughts?

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/20/21 12:02 p.m.

Snows and then Goodyears. Too good a tire covers lots of sins for a new driver (im walking proof)

Then, honestly, id look at the falken 200tw. Or the continentals. NOT the federal rs-rr im using. 

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/20/21 3:13 p.m.

Run the crappy 18's both days.. get her started.. THEN think about Falkens for the 18's...

save your snows from being ruined..

TVR Scott
TVR Scott SuperDork
4/20/21 3:26 p.m.
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) said:

Run the crappy 18's both days.. get her started.. THEN think about Falkens for the 18's...

save your snows from being ruined..

Good info, thanks guys.

You like the Falken RT660's or the RT615K+?

FYI, the snow tires are already worn out enough that they need replacement.  I wouldn't trash a fresh set.

hunter47
hunter47 New Reader
4/28/21 2:19 p.m.

Gonna watch this thread since you brought up the RT660/RT615K+. I actually just started a new thread about a similar topic and now I feel like a dolt for not using the search function first. 

FWIW GRM has done a test between the RT660, RT615K+, and the RE71R. 

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/falken-azenis-rt-660-tire-test-autocross-and-track/

Vajingo
Vajingo HalfDork
4/28/21 3:23 p.m.

In reply to hunter47 :

Haha! "Dolt". 

RedGT
RedGT Dork
4/28/21 3:59 p.m.

Yokohama AO52

Falken RT660

Nankang CR-1

These three are the fastest right now, the winner can depend on surface, car, fitment, driving style, and the majority of the time the Yoko will come out on top.  In certain cases the BFG RivalS is still relevant, too.

Whether any of them are worthwhile for a complete newbie is a different story, you might want a more dual-duty tire like a Conti ECS that will be amazing on the street in the rain too.

rustomatic
rustomatic Reader
4/28/21 4:45 p.m.

The Nitto NT-05 still works for me, several years running . . .

FieroReinke
FieroReinke New Reader
4/28/21 5:07 p.m.

Where are you seeing that the RE-71R has been discontinued?  I am finding them available all over  the net.  Did they discontinue a specific size that you need or all sizes?  Curious as this is what I run on the Locost 7 in 205/50R15 and if it truely is discontinued, I may pick up a set before all stock runs out. 

dps214
dps214 HalfDork
4/28/21 5:12 p.m.

Discontinued =/= instantly unavailable. Though at this point there are a lot of sizes that are gone/hard to find. None have been produced since 2019, the leftover stock is what's being sold.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
4/28/21 5:14 p.m.

In reply to FieroReinke :

Yes, it's true. They've been discontinued. Any you buy now will be left over stock. Build dates will not be recent, may even be a few years ago.

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Reader
5/4/21 4:02 p.m.

Just ordered a set of RT660, be here and on the wheels on Friday

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FIasQJeRp9O08UVLBhXN9ZxKpwsdAp8w6sbrIk0XmHqxm44xFY27UDSLzRuwXiDe