8 9 10 11
Tillerman
Tillerman New Reader
1/19/18 9:28 a.m.

In reply to Ed Higginbotham :

Hmm - thanks. I will need to contact subscription services then, as my subscription should be good through 12/2018.

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
1/24/18 6:52 p.m.

Would it be possible to use the address labels that have the boogersnot glue on them instead of what you're currently using for those of us that might want to save the cover(photos) of an issue for a scrap book kinda thingy (run on sentence sorry)???

fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
2/1/18 7:58 a.m.

Canadian subscription question:

If I want to only take a digital subscription, do I have to add the 15$ per year? 

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
2/1/18 12:08 p.m.

If I'm a subscriber to the print magazine, is the digital included ? Where do I find it?

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
2/1/18 12:34 p.m.
DeadSkunk said:

If I'm a subscriber to the print magazine, is the digital included ? Where do I find it?

Yes it should be. Download our app from the app store and sign in with your email address and zip code.

Ed Higginbotham
2/1/18 12:36 p.m.
fanfoy said:

Canadian subscription question:

If I want to only take a digital subscription, do I have to add the 15$ per year? 

You can purchase a digital-only subscription through our app. Just download the app, hit subscriptions, and then purchase new subscription. It is less expensive than a print subscription sent to Canada.

Ed Higginbotham
2/1/18 12:36 p.m.
759NRNG said:

Would it be possible to use the address labels that have the boogersnot glue on them instead of what you're currently using for those of us that might want to save the cover(photos) of an issue for a scrap book kinda thingy (run on sentence sorry)???

I'll put that in the suggestion box. That's a question for our printer.

smokindav
smokindav Reader
2/3/18 12:14 p.m.

File this under know your strengths- I would love to read some very well written articles - think Henry Manney, Peter Egan, Sam Smith level of talent. I get the whole “car magazine by car guys who like to write”, but it would be better if you had a writer on staff or under contract that is a writer that likes cars.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
2/3/18 4:45 p.m.

Would it be possible to get a section of the forum that’s only visible and open to past and present challengers?  Like not even read only to the general public, once you register for the challenge you get the keys place?  I loathe posting certain challenge stuff in public because 100 people that have never been or ever will go have to chime in.  I believe it would help communication and building community among entrants.  I don’t even know how to get a hold of guys like ed malle and Facebook can go to heck

Ed Higginbotham
2/5/18 11:54 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

We don't have that functionality right now, and we can certainly discuss it. At the same time I'm wary to relegate Challenge conversation to a section of the site not visible to others. You guys and gals (and your message board threads) are some of the most effective stewards of the event.

There is a closed Facebook group for Challenge participants. If you haven't joined that, that might be a good place to simply talk with Challenge folks.

But Like I said, I'll talk to people here about your request and see where we end up. Thanks for the request.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltraDork
2/8/18 7:06 a.m.

I've been avoiding posting this for a while, because I feel like there isn't a particularly nice way to say it, and I'm not sure if I'm way off base by doing so- sorry in advance.  

really don't like the Chumpcar Miata project lately.  It seems like it's supposed to represent the cheap, DIY end of your project spectrum, and yet it's "oh we put in a brand new shortblock" "we just put a megasquirt on it and had it tuned" "after all this we still blew it up/didn't do well/whatever"   I feel like this would never merit coverage unless it was your own project, and I'm just not invested enough in the racing success of the GRM staff to be interested in it when there are people out there who are doing/have done far better with way less shortcuts, and written about it- the Eyesore Racing Miata was a perfect example of this, with ingenious and legitimately inexpensive DIY solutions to the same problems your car has, as well as consistent success after implementing them.  

What I'm trying to say is that there are plenty of excellent racing efforts out there to cover- for example the Nelsons build incredible drag cars, very successfully, for far lower budgets than one would think possible; what a gold mine of potential stories, solutions, tips, and more!  Irish44j has a detailed thread about his rally car, yet I would still love to read an article about it, the little solutions that make it work, how he arrived at them, real coverage of his experience at a rally or rallycross.  Especially because these are "normal" people, without the industry connections that the reader might assume come with the territory of working for GRM, who have figured out how to build a successful race car- and that is exactly the sort of thing I remember being inspired by when racing was still a "some day, I hope" sort of dream rather than a reality.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Digital Experience Director
2/8/18 1:33 p.m.

I hear you, and it sounds like you've been listening in on some of our meetings about the car lately. If we're using up so many resources, we should at least be winning, right? Or if we're not winning, why are we wasting so many resources?

Our next race is AER at Road Atlanta next weekend. We've been focusing on our car-building strategy and our team organization. I think it's going to go well.

Either way, we're going to get better editorial for the magazine going forward. We've got a new plan, and I hope you'll like it. Keep an eye out in the magazine and on the car's project page. We'll make it up to you–I promise.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
2/8/18 3:22 p.m.
smokindav said:

File this under know your strengths- I would love to read some very well written articles - think Henry Manney, Peter Egan, Sam Smith level of talent. I get the whole “car magazine by car guys who like to write”, but it would be better if you had a writer on staff or under contract that is a writer that likes cars.

You mean like Steven Cole Smith, who just authored this outstanding Autoweek story about Hurley Haywood's decision to come out in his new book? Steven wrote our “Death of the DeltaWing" article in the November issue of Grassroots Motorsports, and we've got more in the works from him. Peter Brock, who has a regular column in Classic Motorsports, has also been known to wield a pen to good effect. And a lot of unknowns who started out writing for us have gone on to distinguished careers in the industry. Don't confuse our writers' dirty hands with weak skills.

Margie

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
2/8/18 4:16 p.m.

I just wanted to say that I REALLY REALLY like what JG is doing every Wednesday night.  The last 4-6 broadcasts have been great.  Some having some significant tech (the one on brake pads).  While the one where he cooked dinner on the engin of the C5 was probibly one of the most fun episodes to date.  And as usual last night was excellent.  Some really great info and tech from JG on welding aluminum. 

Just wanted to let you all know that what JG is doing has turned in to "Must Watch" TV at my house.  A big thanks to JG and the rest of the GRM staff for doing this!!!!  Making TV is really really hard and the production quality seems to keep improving every week

Dirtydog
Dirtydog HalfDork
2/9/18 3:04 p.m.

Received my second copy of GRM.  I haven't had a magazine subscription in many years.  Although I can get most of the info on the website, there is still something about the feel, the smell and enjoyment of holding it, and reading.   I enjoy this magazine, and content.  Thanks.

USERNAMETAKEN
USERNAMETAKEN New Reader
2/26/18 12:44 p.m.

I've been a subscriber for about 20 years, and you all are doing terrific work.

But, I wish you wouldn't post your new columns on the website before the magazine comes out.  It seems silly, but I totally look forward to the three columns by Tim, David, and JG.  First thing I read.  Every time.  When this last issue arrived I found I'd already read them online, just as forum posts.  Kinda bummed me out.  You know, in a first-world problems kind of way.

8valve
8valve Reader
3/20/18 1:57 p.m.

I miss the back of the mag performance stat list.  I forget which mag did it, but in school days I had fun bench racing the various new models I couldn't afford.  Bring that back. Even if its mfger claimed stats.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
3/29/18 8:16 a.m.

Reading Jack Heideman's E30 build articles, I noticed that the spine of the JUNE 2017 issue says MAY 2017.  

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
3/29/18 8:17 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

Oh yeah, the office meeting the week that came out was a fun one. :(

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
4/13/18 2:51 p.m.

Just got the May issue. Great as usual. Small beef....how about updating the editorial column photos for David and JG so the pics look like the two guys I see at the Challenge? You know ...JG with a beard and David with mutton chops down to his nipples.

bigben
bigben Reader
4/13/18 5:27 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

I agree.  I thought the basis of Chump Car or Lemons was racing a $500 car, but then you throw thousands of dollars of brand new or race parts at it.  That just doesn't seem to make sense to me.  It's like the only real requirement is you make sure the car stays ugly and then you don't have to worry about how much you spend.  Of course I haven't read the rule book and this is just my superficial understanding of what these races are, but to as an outsider looking in it is kind of a turn off to the whole low buck racing thing. (I'm also and engineer and an experienced cheapskate that likes clear boundary lines) 

bigben
bigben Reader
4/13/18 5:46 p.m.

On a positive note,  I'm loving the engine swap science articles and junk yard supercharger.  Those are the first place I turn when I get each new issue.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/1/18 4:45 p.m.

Please don't go all digital.  

Just ended a long subscription to a magazine because they are going all digital.  Funny that one of the "features" is that articles can be published in real time.  Being the magazine is about vintage cars and racing, there's no real need for real time articles- this is history- reading an article about a 50's race track can wait another 4 weeks- it's not going anywhere.

When I read articles, I want to read them on paper and in my location.  Not on a computer.  Computer screens bug my eyes after a while.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry HalfDork
5/7/18 9:38 p.m.

A website feedback post, and a repeat at that:

i really really really think the tech tips forum should be changed to a Help! section where people can post what issues/problems they’re having and can receive ideas/solutions/counseling.  

I don’t think there are enough tips for a dedicated section (it often goes a week or more without new posts) but there are always threads asking for help and no clear place to put them - I’ve seen them in several forums.  

There could be a sticky there for tech tips but a Help! forum (like the section in the chain stores, ya know???) would be awesome

drlee50
drlee50 None
5/11/18 8:14 a.m.

Hoping to get my paper mag soon. Signed up over a month ago....

8 9 10 11
Our Preferred Partners
Rk9Sa8MuEBAtiAj4wFRreIeMza9izvhh5CI4qBuRk5ZYuUpX8AlGAbaFUTqwVF9U