2 3 4 5 6
BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim UltimaDork
5/17/15 8:45 p.m.

In reply to Marjorie Suddard:

Thanks Margie, I'll call them on Monday. Appreciate the help!

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
5/18/15 8:21 a.m.

No problem. Let me know if you have any problems. (And if you need to contact them again on a weekend, they're open Saturday and Sunday 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., not to mention M-F 7 a.m. to 12 a.m.--one of the reasons we switched.)

Margie

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
5/25/15 3:06 p.m.

This is a web site issue and I was not sure where to post it

This has been driving me nuts.

In this image you can see a popup on the lower left. I put a green box around it. I can not make it go away.

So I zoomed way out to see what gives and at a zoom scale of %20 you can now see it completely. (I put a green box around it)

Please oh great and powerful web master make that dam thing go away. It was only bugging me on my phone but now it is showing up on my PC.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
5/25/15 3:51 p.m.

something that's been happening with increased frequency lately …

after I click on and read a post to a thread, I, like anyone else, click on the back arrow to take me back to the forums and select the next thread I want to visit …

the problem is that when I click on the back arrow, it's anyones guess what page I'll end up on … sometimes I'll end up where I was, and other times I'll end up one or more pages farther back than when I started …

usually the first response to something like this is to tell me it's my computer … but since this is the only forum where this happens, I'm going to be hard to convince that it's the computers fault …..

edit: just happened again … after posting this I hit the back arrow and it took me to page 2, the thread was on page one

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Editorial Assistant
5/26/15 8:11 a.m.

In reply to dean1484:

Hi Dean, Sorry about the "Subscribe Now" popup. It was commented out long ago, but for some reason it has resurfaced for a couple users. Mind trying a different browser real quick and letting me know if that solves it?

In reply to wbjones:

Very intriguing. I've never heard of that happening on only one site. Let me bring it up with our web developers and see if they have an idea. If anyone else has this issue, let me know.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
5/26/15 8:27 a.m.

thanks …. I keep thinking that it's my fault and I've clicked twice or something … but then I'll try to click forward .. to get to where I was … then click the back arrow and the same thing happens … then next time … no problem

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
5/26/15 8:52 a.m.

The problem is it is not happening all the time. I don't know if it matters but I cleared all my history and cookies (cleared everything but saved passwords) last Friday and that is when it started showing up. I have not seen it today yet but I am supposed to be working so my GRM surfing is limited.

I have tried google chrome and the pop up shows up there sometimes as well. I will give it a look see later today.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
5/26/15 10:20 a.m.

Today I can not get it to appear. Could it have been something in the cash on my computer? When I cleaned everything out it triggered it?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
5/26/15 10:39 a.m.

Every time I hit the quote button I get a white page with a single word "broke" on it. If I log out and log back in again it works fine once or twice. So, basically if I want to use the quote I have to log out/in every time. It is almost like the javascript that gets called thinks my session expired - except that I'm still logged in and everything else works just fine.

Firefox 35 on Debian Linux.

Ed Higginbotham
5/26/15 10:46 a.m.

In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker:

Message received. I'll see what I can do about that, too.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
5/26/15 11:29 p.m.

It's been doing that to me for months. I just stopped trying to quote people, or if I do I manually put in the code.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
5/27/15 5:49 a.m.
Ed Higginbotham wrote: In reply to dean1484: Hi Dean, Sorry about the "Subscribe Now" popup. It was commented out long ago, but for some reason it has resurfaced for a couple users. Mind trying a different browser real quick and letting me know if that solves it? In reply to wbjones: Very intriguing. I've never heard of that happening on only one site. Let me bring it up with our web developers and see if they have an idea. If anyone else has this issue, let me know.

Ed, did it again this morning … clicked on the thread "I hate dealerships" (page 3 at the time) when I clicked the back arrow it took me to page 2 ….

mtbrider
mtbrider None
5/29/15 4:17 p.m.

I just found the podcast a week ago or so, and have been working my way through the various episodes from the beginning. Really well done so far, and I'm exciting to continue working my way through them.

If I can make a request, get someone from Ford Performance, Vermont SportCar, Subaru, and do an episode or two on rally cross.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
6/1/15 8:29 a.m.

Maybe I can add a little bit more info regarding the pop up. It seems to occur more often (again not all the time) after I clear the temporary internet files and web pages saved on my computer (in the tools of IE). The pop up seems to occur more often after I do this for a day or two then it goes away and will not show up for 3-4 days. If I clean the temporary files and sorted web pages the cycle starts over.

Not sure if this is helpful.

Edit: The links in the popup are active as well. I tried it and it took me to the digital subscription page

ridinwitcj73
ridinwitcj73 New Reader
6/5/15 1:49 p.m.

Wanted to say I love the buyers guides, keep them coming! They have been a big help in the search for my first "sports car".

bigben
bigben New Reader
6/6/15 11:56 p.m.

I think the content has been great lately with the "how to" articles and projects. I really like the tire tests too, but lets face it I am and always have been a back yard cheapskate,errr I mean mechanic. We're always seeing the same players, the Rivals,the Hankooks,etc. I know there awesome but I'd like to save a few bucks any where I can. What I'd love to see is a test were the standard players go up against some of the outsiders like Federal, Maxxis, GTRadial,Nitto etc. Further more how about cross testing between performance categories. Give us some real data on the advantage the Extreme Performance Summer tires actually give you over the plain old Ultra High Performance Summer tires. Think BFG family feud - Gforce Rival vs Gforce Sport Comp-2, etc.

Ed Higginbotham
6/9/15 8:42 a.m.

Thanks, guys!

RossD
RossD PowerDork
6/17/15 7:28 a.m.

The 'Jump To...' pull down stopped working for me yesterday and continues today. I'm on Windows 7 SP1 and using IE 11.0.9600.17843.

I suspect it's on my end because it worked on my Android phone last night.

I also can't upvote comments; it dumps me to a HTTP 500 error page.

I think I messed with my security settings yesterday to get rid of the 'can't display unsecure stuff' bar that some times appears at the bottom of the page.

EDIT: I reset all of IE11 options under the Advanced Tab and had to restart my computer. That took care of it.

Austincrx
Austincrx
7/29/15 11:54 p.m.

Just wanted to ask a question about the project car portion. I see that most project cars GRM does have a goal of Solo Nationals, track days, or something similar to LeMons racing. It would be interesting to see a project portion where GRM has a goal of going to NASA or SCCA club racing nationals. Could start with a second-hand race car purchase (that needs a little work) and walk all the readers through the various steps including repairing any issues with the new car, testing it at a track day, making changes to issues found at the track day, doing the first race, analyzing the car's limiting factors for it's specific class competition, improving the car's performance, qualifying for nationals, going to nationals, etc. I think many of GRM's readers have this ultimate goal in mind, but there isn't much information out there on it. Going to nationals, at least in SCCA, is many times thought of as a 'rich man's playground' because racers can spend upwards of $5000 on just tires for this one race (new set for qualifying, new set for the race, and sometimes new practice sets). It doesn't have to be this way, and I know many more racers would try to qualify if they knew it was possible to place somewhat well with a very limited budget (who needs new tires for practice and qualifying?!?!).

Okay, well just an idea. I have never seen an article or series about this, so it might be a great idea to do one. On the other hand, I have to say that I have enjoyed your towing terror series, I recently had a little towing nightmare of my own, through no fault of my own. If you want to do a part on 'what can happen when roads are not repaired to specs and you go over that portion of the road with your truck and loaded down trailer' just come up to I-25 in Colorado south of Hwy 34. I nearly crashed there on Saturday when my vehicle was launched into the air after hitting a section of a repaired bridge and going 5 under the speed limit (it didn't help that my truck's stability control reacted by slamming on the brakes), but everything was okay. The car was 8" farther to the left in the trailer afterwards though!

Thanks, Aspiring Novelist long post

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
7/30/15 9:47 a.m.
Austincrx wrote: Just wanted to ask a question about the project car portion. I see that most project cars GRM does have a goal of Solo Nationals, track days, or something similar to LeMons racing. It would be interesting to see a project portion where GRM has a goal of going to NASA or SCCA club racing nationals. Could start with a second-hand race car purchase (that needs a little work) and walk all the readers through the various steps including repairing any issues with the new car, testing it at a track day, making changes to issues found at the track day, doing the first race, analyzing the car's limiting factors for it's specific class competition, improving the car's performance, qualifying for nationals, going to nationals, etc. I think many of GRM's readers have this ultimate goal in mind, but there isn't much information out there on it. Going to nationals, at least in SCCA, is many times thought of as a 'rich man's playground' because racers can spend upwards of $5000 on just tires for this one race (new set for qualifying, new set for the race, and sometimes new practice sets). It doesn't have to be this way, and I know many more racers would try to qualify if they knew it was possible to place somewhat well with a very limited budget (who needs new tires for practice and qualifying?!?!). Okay, well just an idea. I have never seen an article or series about this, so it might be a great idea to do one. On the other hand, I have to say that I have enjoyed your towing terror series, I recently had a little towing nightmare of my own, through no fault of my own. If you want to do a part on 'what can happen when roads are not repaired to specs and you go over that portion of the road with your truck and loaded down trailer' just come up to I-25 in Colorado south of Hwy 34. I nearly crashed there on Saturday when my vehicle was launched into the air after hitting a section of a repaired bridge and going 5 under the speed limit (it didn't help that my truck's stability control reacted by slamming on the brakes), but everything was okay. The car was 8" farther to the left in the trailer afterwards though! Thanks, Aspiring Novelist long post

See if you can dig up the old Zero-to-hero series. It was very well done and in this vein.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
7/31/15 4:30 p.m.

Quick one for the web site:

If you type a title that exceeds the maximum length and then you go and write a long post and hit "add post" it erases you entire post and tells you to fix the title. Can you make it so it does not erase your entire post? This is very aggravating as I just finished writing up a long (and what I thought was well organised new thread on the cutting and welding of engine blocks) and it is now all gone.

Thanks

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
8/1/15 10:07 a.m.

This thread got me thinking.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/best-differential-on-a-wet-track/104048/page2/#post1858679

Some topics may not desert a full on article in the magazine but are still very interesting and relevant to the GRM readers. I was thinking that a section called "Quick Tech" could be a place where short concise writeups on various subjects could be published. Maybe get the input from two or three people on a given subject(that are in the industry). Using the above noted thread as an example I would love to see what a rebuilder has to say and maybe a engineer from a race team has to say about Dif's. Put there comments together to complement each other (or there may be differences of opinion) in either case then close with a summary by a GRM staff member. This would be very interesting.

Subjects that come to mind.

• Brake pads

• Difs

• lights

• Efi Tuning

• Clutches

• Wiring of a Race car

• Suspension tuning

Are all topics that don't need a huge full spread article but instead a short to the point write up about it that would give us facts and opinions to work with. Maybe later a big article could be done depending on the readerships responce.

Desmond
Desmond Reader
8/12/15 12:40 a.m.

Hey, I didn't want to start a whole new thread, but I just had a few questions on the magazine.

First, how often are the magazines issued? A new magazine every 2 months or something? Also, has the August issue been sent out yet? I put an order in, but there was some wonky stuff going on, so I just wanted to make sure my order actually went through. Haven't gotten anything yet, but I figure its still early. I appreciate the help in advance!

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
8/12/15 7:19 a.m.

you can always give them a call … they don't mind

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/contact/

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
8/12/15 1:27 p.m.

In reply to Desmond:

Yep, give us a call. The magazine is 8 times a year; last issue mailed was October.

2 3 4 5 6
Our Preferred Partners
Bzr9l3HqbQ9SMvExBmnSkhXOKbVq7kQElU83Wy0zE5Dt5smNt4XWNCMW1RD76T7y