1 2 3
Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
11/7/18 9:20 a.m.

I'm not a fan of the "stance" scene, or the "big goofy truck" scene that has taken over.  Both of these movements make my head tilt like the RCA dog....as I just don't get it.   Spending a ton of money to make your machine perform worse has never appealed to me.  

To be fair though..... a car set up for serious autocross duty is a pretty miserable thing to drive on the street.  "Enthusiasts" throw thousands of dollars at a car so it will drive around cones in a parking lot really fast.   That seems very silly to most "normal" folks. 

It's people spending $$ on cars....which is a good thing.   I don't have to like it, and enthusiasts (logical or not) help to pay my mortgage, so I'm not complaining.   

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
11/7/18 1:13 p.m.
z31maniac said:
Driven5 said:

Regarding their 'danger' to others on the road, I wouldn't be surprised if they can still out maneuver and out brake most trucks...Let alone lifted 4x4's.

This thing isn't out handling a school bus.

Sounds like a test may be in order...Know of any automotive publications just crazy enough to turn something that seemingly ridiculous into an article?

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
11/7/18 1:31 p.m.

I generally like it when it doesn't go to crazy. I am thinking that my next daily is going to be a bit of a mild stanced "build". Lowered, little camber and some decent wheels.

Why does form have to follow function? Why not just build something cause you like the way it looks? Or it cause it makes you happy?

NermalSnert
NermalSnert Reader
11/7/18 1:54 p.m.

^ Then that would be art :)

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/7/18 3:43 p.m.
Joe Gearin said:

To be fair though..... a car set up for serious autocross duty is a pretty miserable thing to drive on the street.

Miserable != dangerous.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/7/18 3:48 p.m.
93EXCivic said:

Why does form have to follow function? Why not just build something cause you like the way it looks? Or it cause it makes you happy?

You want to build a sculpture that looks like a car?  Knock yourself out. Trailer it to all the shows you want.  I'll check it out and I'll withhold my criticism.

But if you drive it on the public streets, then it IS a car, not a car-shaped art piece, and it needs to be safe to drive under normal conditions.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
11/7/18 4:46 p.m.

Has anyone ever driven one of these cars?  I have not.  I would suspect that once you get past some amount of camber that it would start getting easier to drive as you have less actual tire contact on the road. That would equate to less loading of the wheel and hub assembly and as such these may actually have less chance of a tire flying off as some have implied may happen. AND has anyone actually seen or have a documented case of one of these things being a safety problem?  I see more mustangs hitting things than stance cars.  So by that though process if you take this thread and add in the reputation mustangs have on the internet a stanced Mustang may be the most dangerous thing on the road?  laughlaugh

Ohhhhhh and we need more of this  LOL

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
11/7/18 4:50 p.m.

My Google fu has failed me.  I can not find a stanced Mustang photo.  Must be so dangerous that even the stance crowd won't touch it.  

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
11/7/18 4:59 p.m.
dean1484 said:

My Google fu has failed me.  I can not find a stanced Mustang photo.  Must be so dangerous that even the stance crowd won't touch it.  

Best I could do:

It's hard to hellaflush a stick axle.

NermalSnert
NermalSnert Reader
11/7/18 5:09 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDv5GMKC59g I barfed. Still a little queasy.

CJ
CJ Reader
11/7/18 5:19 p.m.

and another one

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/7/18 5:19 p.m.

I drove a stanced 90s civic once.

All ebay parts, and the cheapest available at that, installed and selected by a guy that had done a few dozen too many bong hits. Son of a guy i worked with....

Regardless, the thing rode like E36 M3, and scraped rocker pulling into and out of parking lots and driveways. He had already put two oil pans on it before i drove it and the pinch weld on the rockers were beaten flat and half ground off by the road. 

The car was originally grandmas, and had 140k on it when bong boy bought it from her. Original wheel bearings. 

He had driven it in the stanced fashion for 15k without wheel bearing failure. Also, he averaged 1000 miles from a set of tires. He would wear the shoulders and sidewalls off, so hed buy the cheapest new/used tires available that day in a size that didn't rub too bad. Wheels were 15x10 diamondracing from what i remember, with a 195/xx/15 usually. 

Really wasn't as bad as i expected when i drove it. Still see it around town, still stanced. Hes actually the giy that talked me into rustoleum paintinga car. 

This probably says something about me.....

rslifkin
rslifkin UltraDork
11/7/18 6:42 p.m.
dean1484 said:

AND has anyone actually seen or have a documented case of one of these things being a safety problem?

Yup.  A guy around here used to have a very stanced Accord.  One day a few of us saw him pull out of a gas station and take a left turn.  It was raining.  Despite taking the turn at about soccer mom pace, he lost the rear end with its tiny contact patch.  Road had one of the center turn lanes plus 2 lanes each direction.  He caught the tail about 6 inches short of the garbage truck in the far right lane...

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/8/18 7:00 a.m.
STM317
STM317 SuperDork
11/8/18 7:23 a.m.
Mezzanine said:
dean1484 said:

Best I could do:

I know we're busy complaining about stuff we don't like/understand but I need to interrupt with important matters. I don't think this is a Mustang. Looks more like a 240 to me?

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
11/8/18 8:10 a.m.
STM317 said:
Mezzanine said:

Best I could do:

I know we're busy complaining about stuff we don't like/understand but I need to interrupt with important matters. I don't think this is a Mustang. Looks more like a 240 to me?

The thing that stands out to me is: Why does it say a phonetically spelled "phallus" on the side?

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
11/8/18 8:14 a.m.

If people want to rag on stupid style, here's on I saw here at work (Ford Mo Co) last week.

n8
n8 New Reader
11/8/18 8:24 a.m.
z31maniac said:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

I just really hope that, as this scene begins fading, all of these high quality ultra wide wheels start hitting the market at nice affordable prices.  Remove stretched 195s, apply 3xx wide sticky tires, install on actual performance car.

The problem will be making them fit on anything. The wheels on that BRZ are likely 10.5-11" wide, to fit with real tires and proper amounts of camber would take some big flares. 

The twins can already fit 9.5" wide wheels and 255 wide-sticky tires without even rolling the fenders.

The extreme offset pretty much insures that they wont properly fit on anything.

Different strokes and all, I just wish the tire mounting wasn't so dangerous. These things are ready to debead at any moment. The excessive camber can't be good for the life of the wheel bearings.

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
11/8/18 8:25 a.m.

In reply to dculberson :

LOL. Pretty sure it's "Fatlace", which along with their "illest" branch is kind of a lifestyle blog/retailer catchall for the stancebro world.

But it's a terrible design for a logo, and the body line/paint job isn't making it any more clear.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/8/18 8:26 a.m.
dculberson said:
STM317 said:
Mezzanine said:

Best I could do:

The thing that stands out to me is: Why does it say a phonetically spelled "phallus" on the side?

Because it's edgy bro. It goes well with all the other stickers like "No Fat Girls" and anime.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/8/18 8:28 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:

If people want to rag on stupid style, here's on I saw here at work (Ford Mo Co) last week.

See, I don't hate that (don't really like it either). But it's not like they drive the car that low, it's on bags. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2yD0MnldhkpHg7rEnVykRGsfFKyLMpanqs7dsiXBi1ebadviExbC4eDDEBCLJbal