1 2 3
gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
4/17/21 9:15 a.m.

I love the rear end styling.

I really dislike the front end styling.

Interior is a big meh for me, but that's basically every modern car. I'm not a big fan of screens, or at least none that I've had the opportunity to try so far.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
4/17/21 9:21 a.m.

In reply to dps214 :

They could lose the twin turbo V6 in favor of a lightweight naturally aspirated four-cylinder, which would allow more lightweight transmission and rearend, which would allow lighter duty suspension work.

Mazda have no problem selling NDs.  Subaru and Toyota sell enough Frisbees that they felt it worthwhile to engineer a second generation.  If you want some big dumb meathead burnout machine, Chrysler has that market covered, and the proposed 400Z is lacking in all of those qualities because it doesn't make 700hp.

gunner (Forum Supporter)
gunner (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
4/17/21 9:32 a.m.

Flipping through the photos I picked up early Z car cues from the front, current Z car from the side and I love the rear but can't place it in their line, I'm sure it's there somewhere. More proof you can't drive a spec sheet. I hope they sell a crap ton of them. I'm not a buyer new, can't afford that, but I applaud the effort to sell us more cool cars before we go all autonomous pod.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
4/17/21 9:41 a.m.

I like it. Best looking Z since the Z32.

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
4/17/21 9:57 a.m.

I think it looks great yes

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
4/17/21 10:12 a.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:

I like it. Best looking Z since the Z32.

Agreed. Z32 is my favorite Z car. 

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
4/17/21 12:05 p.m.

This is the problem with styling and Japanese cars.

The original 240Z was a home run no matter what angle you looked at it from while the 300ZX was a lump failure, stylistically.

This car has an improved read aspect but they have managed to keep the same blocky heaviness in the front end that made the 300 ZX so unattractive.

Japan still batting only two notable successes - original 240Z and Toyota 2000GT, with close calls on the original NSX, the 

And, sadly a continuing F grade on all Lexus (Unless you are into Predator movies), Supras (if they'd made the  4th gen look less like a jelly bean with a handle on back....) and the latest version might look good but only in a Bizarro universe, and Nissans, and a close but  no trophy to the S2000, and latest generation of Miatas.

The 2022 RX7 or RX9 or whatever they will eventually call it looks promising  as far as one can predict based on prototypes and photo shopped ideas, but we'll have to reserve judgement unto we see an actual production model.

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
4/17/21 12:25 p.m.

In reply to wspohn :

Whew good thing all of that is pure opinion. 

Because I have an unpopular opinion on the 240z. I can name 5 Japanese cars that I think look better than it and you didn't name a single one lol. 

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
4/17/21 1:10 p.m.

I didn't care for the wedge 80's 300ZX but the Z32 chassis 300ZX still looks really good to me today.  240's and 260's looked great as well.  Hell, I think the 350Z still looks good overall.

I think the front of this new 400Z just looks a touch bland, like they really needed more bumper and less grill up front to make it look great.  As it is I think it looks pretty good.

As for wanting to own one?  Eh... I should be all about this thing, I think, but I can't see spending my money on it.  For a fun 2nd car kind of purchase I think I'd rather have a new Ecoboost Mustang, preferably a convertible.  The upcoming RX-9, should it actually happen, also seems more interesting than the 400Z. 

j_tso
j_tso Reader
4/17/21 1:34 p.m.

People are only complaining about the front bumper because Nissan took it off before they could.

If there was one it would be useless as a bumper because it would be so low.

wspohn said:

Japan still batting only two notable successes - original 240Z and Toyota 2000GT, with close calls on the original NSX, the

wat

mblommel
mblommel Dork
4/17/21 2:26 p.m.
dps214 said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
mblommel said:

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I've seen figures of 3,200-3,300 lbs. Supposedly it's marginally lighter than the 370Z. Believable. After all isn't the chassis basically a 370?

Still unpleasant, but lighter than the 370Z is a step in the right direction.  Color me curious.

At this point in safety requirements and reliability and interior quality expectations, I'm guessing it's pretty hard to get a car with a real drivetrain and a roof under 3000 without a bunch of exotic materials.

But what about the new BRZ/86? Those are 2800 lbs-ish right?

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
4/17/21 3:38 p.m.

Yeah, it’s 50-50 to my eyes. I like the rear, but the front looks bland and unfinished. Like they wanted to ape the 240z, but made it boring. Side view is too 350z. At least it’s not completely ugly though like the GTR front.

I won’t buy one though, so no one cares what i think.

Someone said Rx7 or 9? That’s an exciting possibility!

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
4/17/21 4:07 p.m.

I think it’s a good looking car. Simplicity is rare these days and I like the styling cues they pulled from different generations of Z cars.

If it does end up with 400+ turbocharged horsies moving less than 3500lbs it’ll be something pretty good.

My dad’s the Nissan fan in our family so I’ll be trying to convince him he needs one.

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
4/17/21 5:37 p.m.

I'm good with it.

Skip the bright blue seats and option me a manual trans. I'll be shopping for a used one in 15 years or so. Hope these turbo motors hold up. If we are lucky, there will be a lower cost NA model along soon afterwards.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
4/17/21 10:00 p.m.

I like it, it is just a 370z with some lipstick and the Q60S powerplant; but, can't beat the price range and what it offers. 

Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
4/18/21 12:50 a.m.
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) said:

The pedestrian impact rules really limit what designers can do with the front.  sad

There are enough currently produced examples otherwise to effectively prove that the only inability to sculpt the nose around pedestrian impact rules lies in the laziness of the designers.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/18/21 7:28 a.m.

Every time I see 400z in the title I think it reads 40 oz

Works every time.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
4/18/21 7:57 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to dps214 :

They could lose the twin turbo V6 in favor of a lightweight naturally aspirated four-cylinder, which would allow more lightweight transmission and rearend, which would allow lighter duty suspension work.

Mazda have no problem selling NDs.  Subaru and Toyota sell enough Frisbees that they felt it worthwhile to engineer a second generation.  If you want some big dumb meathead burnout machine, Chrysler has that market covered, and the proposed 400Z is lacking in all of those qualities because it doesn't make 700hp.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who questions the need of that much performance potential.

It's kind of ironic that the more and more performance cars get, the less and less you can use them on real roads- and by that I don't mean illegally, but just basic space on the road.  I'm not sure I want to own a car that the only time during the day there's enough space on the road to use it is when I'm sleeping.

And while there's a LOT of talk about track days and whatnot- the population that actually take their cars out to a track day is incredibly small.  For a company like Renault/Nissan, it's not a market that you can make any  money on.

I get it that Ford does this all the time, with odd Mustangs and whatnot- and I honestly question every single one of those, too.  A good question is the potential market for Mustangs v Z cars.

calteg
calteg Dork
4/18/21 8:57 a.m.

I don't care for the styling, but I'm glad it exists.

I think it makes a lot more sense if you think of it as a baby, RWD GT-R . 

With a downpipe, exhaust and a tune I suspect this thing will be nipping at 500 warranty voiding horsepower

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy Dork
4/18/21 10:58 a.m.

I like it a lot, I think they did a great job with the styling. It is not easy to make it look like the original Z with current pedestrian crash standards. The whole car needs to be quite a bit larger to keep the proportions from looking goofy. I'd love to see this parked next to an original Z for scale. Hopefully they were able to keep the weight down. I think 400HP is plenty for this segment. Nissan doesn't seem as eager to chase paper numbers as much as others, their horses seem to be a bit bigger do to the overall performance of the engine. I would not be surprised if a 400HP Z ended up being a fair bit quicker than a 5.0 Mustang. 

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
4/18/21 5:00 p.m.
wspohn said:

This is the problem with styling and Japanese cars.

The original 240Z was a home run no matter what angle you looked at it from while the 300ZX was a lump failure, stylistically.

This car has an improved read aspect but they have managed to keep the same blocky heaviness in the front end that made the 300 ZX so unattractive.

Japan still batting only three notable successes - original 240Z, Toyota 2000GT and the FD RX7, with close calls on the original NSX

Fixed it for you.

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
4/19/21 12:06 p.m.

I think that the FD has a lot of merit but left it off as the front end looks somehow a tad squashed.  Pretty good, though.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/19/21 2:55 p.m.

ATTENTION: The article says mid-40s as a starting price. 

All the talk about $34k is months old and not true. Every article about the car the last month or so has mid-40s as the starting the price. Not sure why people expected it to be only a few thousand more than the starting price of a BRZ.

So I figure with $50k or more with options or higher trim levels.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/19/21 2:56 p.m.

That being said, I really like it and have always been a Z-car fan. But they will really have needed to step up the interior quality for me to buy one based on how crummy my 350Z interior was.

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
4/19/21 3:08 p.m.

Crazy the z32 sold for 40k in 1990 and the 370z is cheaper lol. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CudtBkgb2fI6HUsObavr35Ng7dd7CrBo1tC7p3cgnZXVu2ow6hv3mPwplM49QWue