3 4 5 6
sachilles
sachilles Dork
2/13/11 3:34 p.m.

Yet the windscreen is one of the big variables with subaru. You get different ones even within the impreza line, where everything else is like legos.

Evan
Evan New Reader
2/13/11 4:05 p.m.

It doesn't seem like using a non-Subaru windshield would be much of an issue. Windshields are readily available for most cars for a few hundred bucks and I'm not sure how many people actually would pull and reuse the windshield from the donor car.

forced4
forced4 New Reader
2/14/11 9:50 a.m.

Well, I must keep my WRX a bit longer

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
2/14/11 10:08 a.m.
MrJoshua wrote: No insult intended, but it would be amusing if GRM got and thoroughly tested a car R@T and C@D couldn't get. :D

Just wait...this is gonna be good.

peter
peter New Reader
2/14/11 11:37 a.m.
Tom Heath wrote: Just wait...this is gonna be good.

The next project car?

imirk
imirk New Reader
2/14/11 11:40 a.m.

What? This is the internet: We wait for no thing and no one!

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
2/14/11 11:45 a.m.
Evan wrote: It doesn't seem like using a non-Subaru windshield would be much of an issue. Windshields are readily available for most cars for a few hundred bucks and I'm not sure how many people actually would pull and reuse the windshield from the donor car.

Agreed. The windshield probably won't be a big deal. Other glass, however, may be. The one big question will be the doors. Will they have roll-up windows? Reusing the WRX windows or something else? Hard top glass? it'll be interesting to see how they overcome these issues as these are some of the same questions I haven't seen adequately resolved (to my liking) in the Smyth TDI car. Going to a simplistic and window-less door design like the Cobra has could limit the usefulness of the car beyond being an occasional w/e toy.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
2/14/11 11:58 a.m.

FFR sketches

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
2/14/11 12:08 p.m.
imirk wrote:
What? This is the internet: We wait for no thing and no one!

Lawyers>internet.

Let me say this, though. Sharpen your pencils and/or photoshop skills.

imirk
imirk New Reader
2/14/11 1:42 p.m.

or call John Sibal?

EvanB
EvanB Dork
2/14/11 1:50 p.m.

Winning design gets a free kit?

peter
peter New Reader
2/14/11 2:32 p.m.
Tom Heath wrote: Let me say this, though. Sharpen your pencils and/or photoshop skills.

Will sharpening my clay carving tools be a waste of time? I do better in 3D than I do in 2D...

vwcorvette
vwcorvette Reader
2/14/11 6:17 p.m.

How much longer do my pencils have to wait?

imirk
imirk New Reader
2/15/11 9:08 p.m.

is it the 15th yet?

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
2/18/11 10:18 a.m.

So, my FFR newsletter included this gem:

Have you ever wondered what would happen if you stuffed a Subaru WRX motor into something that's mid-engined, rear-wheel-drive, and weighs less than 2,000 lbs.? Because that's the next Factory Five car - a two-seater built around inexpensive and indestructible Subaru running gear. The styling isn't finalized, but I'm imaging something that looks like Lancia Stratos. And if you don't break into a creepy serial-killer smile every time you imagine an affordable, WRX-based Stratos, then you are some kind of weirdo. The car's new wheelbase is locked in at 95" which is a little longer then an Exige." - Ezra Dyer, Automobile Magazine

Didn't see that in the past couple pages.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
2/18/11 11:10 a.m.

In reply to ReverendDexter:

Ezra Dyer may envision a Lancia clone, but you might envision something completely different. I really liked the VW EcoRacer concept car. Maybe if I used some elements of it with some cues from a Lotus 7, drew it up all pretty like and submitted it for a contest...

Seriously, I'm working on getting some updates for this. It's going to be awesome, but I want to give real information and not rumors.

Soon. Awesome. (You can quote me on that!)

T.J.
T.J. SuperDork
2/18/11 11:55 a.m.

I'm no artist or car designer, but this contest is a big deal. I forsee that they are going to get a lot of entries that look very similar resulting in some unhappy people who think the winning design is very similar to their design. If there is a prize of a free kit I'm in. I have an idea, not sure how well I could put it to paper or computer screen though.

Looking forward to the details on this one.

Type Q
Type Q HalfDork
2/18/11 1:17 p.m.

The last I heard, Tom Matano, the head of Mazda design when the Miata and FD RX7 were produced, was teaching design at a college here in the SF Bay area. I would love to see what some of his students could come up for this platform.

Chet
Chet New Reader
2/18/11 1:25 p.m.
neon4891 wrote: FFR sketches

In my opinion all the great body designs have basically been done years ago.

Lookup the Sportech By Dave Piontek ( 1993 ! ) and see if It doesn't look a lot like the sketch.

Chet

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
2/18/11 1:37 p.m.

Looks like my CAD packages are going to be getting a work out.

dyintorace
dyintorace SuperDork
2/18/11 2:08 p.m.
Type Q wrote: The last I heard, Tom Matano, the head of Mazda design when the Miata and FD RX7 were produced, was teaching design at a college here in the SF Bay area. I would love to see what some of his students could come up for this platform.

You should make sure he/they know about it. What a cool class project!

dyintorace
dyintorace SuperDork
2/18/11 2:10 p.m.
Chet wrote: Lookup the Sportech By Dave Piontek ( 1993 ! ) and see if It doesn't look a lot like the sketch.

Is this what you mean? If so, good gosh, I hope the new FFR car is prettier than this!

sachilles
sachilles Dork
2/18/11 2:15 p.m.

The sketch reminds me of the other subaru based kit car, but the sketch is about about as generic as you can get. Stratos, would be to die for, and I have the subaru drivetrain...or two or three.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy SuperDork
2/18/11 6:42 p.m.

I'd like to see something that looks like the Yamaha OX99-11.

peter
peter Reader
2/18/11 8:00 p.m.

well, at least I know the originality of my design won't be corrupted by this thread. I'd suggest that those cars had been designed by the blind, but I think that would be an insult...to the blind.

3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
G2DDDkSIIVDNloXAMeuovICDPU0tfgXq1A2pdkiF3pTymEXWuK7nNrI1cQm9SB3H