1 2 3
bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/26/21 7:43 a.m.

Now that the track hangover is wearing off and the realization that the thing happened and that's done it's time to figure out what's next. 

First, the Rio needs to get prepped for One Lap. I'll pick up a pair of front struts and swap back o the factory suspension for this winter. New tie rods are a must. Possibiliy are fab'ing a new muffler section to get some tone. Probably rear bearings/hubs. They're 8 years old with 100k miles. Just eliminate a possible weak point. And I might do a rear sway bar. 

The truck.... I think some felpro umbrella type seals for the valves are a start. And mayne a new foot for the disributor hold down.

What is everyone else doing?

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/26/21 8:28 a.m.

Build a garage. Lighten, rebuild the suspension and get the Civic running.

Whether that all gets done before next autocross season idk.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
10/26/21 8:29 a.m.

I have this coming into the shop to get finished up and painted. Actually going to do topcoat since that has gotten stupid expensive to farm out. Favour for a friend.

The car is actually a roller  with stop and steer at this point. Just need to install the 427 and a few hundred other details

And of course the mid-engine Morris needs to come off the back burner. That should be going full steam once the weather gets cold and the principal person with the vision decides its more fun to work in a warm shop with cold beer than a freezing shop with frozen beer.

Other than that, it should be a quiet winter.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
10/26/21 8:48 a.m.

Duster: engine coming out for gaskets, and back in. 

Neon: dead engine pulled, fresh from the scrapper 2.4 in

Miata: fluid changes, alignment tweaks, and new intake and throttle cable setup.

Project 2.0: parts collection and rust repair. Hopefully figure out how to get it logbooked.

dps214
dps214 Dork
10/26/21 8:56 a.m.

Rallycross and mountain biking. Probably some minor cayman suspension upgrades in between.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
10/26/21 9:02 a.m.

Weeknight sim racing.  No off season.

Also mountain biking, hiking, etc.

kevinatfms
kevinatfms HalfDork
10/26/21 9:03 a.m.

My plans this winter for both race cars and both daily drivers:

Fiesta ST - wheel bearings/hubs, coolant flush + Mountune radiator, HSD coilover install + alignment, front tow hook, c39 hybrid turbo + downpipe + tune, cold side charge pipe, inlet pipe.

Elantra Chump Car - VIR North Course Champ Car race in December 3-5, OBX LSD install + Tiburon 5 speed swap, ported intake manifold, ported throttle body, 2.25" exhaust system, new fuel pump + sender, new hood and trunk with fresh panels, new hood/trunk pins, onboard lap timer...the list goes on and on after the VIR race.

21 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Livernois tow tune and front mount intercooler upgrade, Sumo Springs, Motofab level kit and Ford Performance red tow hooks, front window tint.

21 Explorer ST "Wife Rocket" - Livernois 93 tune, front window tint.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
10/26/21 9:05 a.m.

I need to get Susie running.  I'm gonna need to do some electrical and clutch work, finish hanging the exhaust.  I def need new tires.

Friend that works at a shop can get me 4 Kumho KU22s for $415ish

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and MegaDork
10/26/21 9:15 a.m.

I may replace the engine in the G35. I may not. 

Probably going to finally finish the boat and do some camping instead. 

wae
wae UberDork
10/26/21 9:17 a.m.

Neon is getting reliability updates.  New valve stems in every wheel, depinning the wires that aren't used, re-grounding megasquirt and the sensors, fixing the switches and relays for the accessories.  And maybe an hydraulic handbrake if I'm feeling punchy.

GL350 needs to get itself back together in time for the AEM so I can get my settlement check.

Miata needs to be welded back together and painted.

Truck needs to have its exhaust manifold studs replaced.  Should also do something about the seats, put the new rearview mirror and cupholders in, fix the power locks (a-berkeleying-gain), change the trans fluid, and redo the wheel hub vacuum system.  But let's stay realistic here.

RV needs a new awning.  Need to smoke test it to find out why I'm getting an EGR code.  Need to fix some cabinetry.  I'd like to sell it after we get back from the Rolex.

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
10/26/21 9:29 a.m.

I plan to hunker down, light the fire, spin a lot of vinyl and catch up on my reading. 

Already did my automotive chore - washed them, disconnected the batteries or plugged in trickle chargers, put covers on them and put them to bed.

Put in my time lying under a car looking outside at the falling snow.

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP HalfDork
10/26/21 9:36 a.m.

I plan to rebuild the front suspension on the GMW as well as an overall tune up to hopefully be running better and less poppy/backfiring for spring. May try and clean up some rust starting to show it's self as well depending on how cold the garage gets.

Once I'm back home I plan to spend as much time as needed getting the Intrepid running consistently.

APEowner
APEowner SuperDork
10/26/21 9:47 a.m.

We don't normally have an off season here in Albuquerque but our local track is doing a river of lights thing for the holidays so I've got until January to get a Miata together.  I have to decide if I'm going to fix the 22 car, which needs an engine or build the car I bought from AnthonyGS.

If I build the blue car I need to decide if I'm going to pillage the #22 car for parts or fix it and sell it.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/26/21 9:50 a.m.

T-9 swap into the GT6 along with rebuilding the seats with new foam.  Some more interior work as well to get it ready for a few long trips planned for 2022.

Clean up and sell the E350.

Get the Jetta parts car out of my back yard.

Start weight training for cycling.

If the GT6 work gets finished, start on the Spitfire engine swap.

NON-car: chip away at the overwhelming number of projects to get my house into more presentable condition.

Set up my Wahoo Kickr for Zwift training so I can actually climb next year without feeling like my heart is going to explode at 195 BPM. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/26/21 10:02 a.m.
  1. Jaguar needs new water pump
  2. Truck needs rockers, shocks (maybe lowering kit), sunroof fixed, running boards
  3. Van needs snow tires swapped on (in a month or so)
  4. One trailer needs to be sold, other needs new tires, hubs re-greased, brakes checked, wiring checked, maybe some additional tie downs and a quick lick of paint
  5. Closets need renovation, gas insert fireplace needs installed, roof leak needs fixed
  6. Would love to get the MGBGT driving
  7. Need to get Red the X1/9 moving

I guess you eat an elephant one bite at a time, right?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/26/21 10:39 a.m.

Try and figure out what next season's hot 200TW tire is in 225/45/15 and then fail to order them in time.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
10/26/21 10:43 a.m.

It's only down to the mid-fifties here, our off season is really July & August (110 out side)

I do take the week of Christmas off so I've got a couple of things planned:

Get some storage boxes mounted on the open trailer.

Upgrade the rear wheel cylinders on the Datsun.

Replace the hood on the Outback (it's got a crease) 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/26/21 10:44 a.m.

Figure out what, and if, I'm going to buy a car in the spring. We both work from home permanently now, so we've been sharing the Mazda 3 for 7 months without a problem. 

It seems silly for me to go out and spend $30k or more on a car, that is only rarely going to be driven. 

chaparral
chaparral Dork
10/26/21 10:52 a.m.

New trailer, mine is shot. Must be smaller to fit behind a VW Golf, must be able to have a lid on it to avoid damage to my karts when towing in the rain. 

New ribvest. 

nocones
nocones UberDork
10/26/21 10:58 a.m.

Fix brake lights on 1954 Willy's

Get rid of 2001 Miata

Work on V2 of LMP360 with goal to have it ready for HPDE at Hyperfest 2022 to scout out for UTCC 2023. V1 was what was at the challenge this year.  V2 is the NA 2.5 with all the aero and paint to look like the renders for 2022 $2000 challenge.  V3 is with a budget busting extra $1000 for RFP1s and probably a WRX motor for UTCC.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
10/26/21 11:32 a.m.

The supercharged Miata kicked some serious ass this year (won my class, 8th overall, set FTD once, was second for raw at about half the events and in the top 10 at the rest), so I'm reluctant to change too much. But a local guy has concocted some crazy geometry-correcting delrin/spherical rear upper control arm bushings that he is going to lend me a set next year, with option to buy at season's end. I also want to get some weight out of the car, since its about 150lbs over the Xtreme Street B weight minimum. Maybe one of those Antigravity batteries and some aluminum race seats, which should cut about 70lbs out total

tb
tb Dork
10/26/21 11:45 a.m.

Easy :

Push the challenge miata into the corner and not think about until spring. I'll work on tuning and tweaks occasionally before next October. 

Moderate difficulty:

Shop for a new toy to do casually fun things in. Autocross, track days, driving schools, etc. Needs to be cool and easy to own but I am not sure about other criteria yet so I don't know what I am looking for yet... 

Difficult:

Convince my wife to sell her car. It is awesome and tastefully modified to a nice point, but isn't used much and takes up time and energy while not fulfilling any specific role. Plus, it isn't getting any younger. She is emotionally attached but not to an insurmountable degree.

Impossible:

Teach wife to operate standard transmission. Yeah, lots of us have been there... it has been a decade since the last attempt and that didn't end well. Next fun car will have a stick and she is capable of learning a valuable, basic life skill. Might need a teacher that isn't me since so she isn't as anxious.

Optional:

Look for a trailer for the miata and other assorted toys. I rent when I need one but owning could be useful and easier.

Look into a sim rig and try video game racing again. It never scratched my itch before, but occasionally it catches my attention as a possible fun diversion and helpful as a learning tool.

Making this brief list has been useful and reading other replies will give me more ideas

drock25too
drock25too Reader
10/26/21 11:52 a.m.

Got talked into pit crew duty for a friend at the Modster Mash this Thursday night.  $10,051 to win dirt modified show.  Then home improvements to may the wife happy.  And take her to meet new grandbaby in New York this spring.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
10/26/21 11:54 a.m.

Mostly trying to not end up with another vehicle that blows up during the first event that I attend and then promptly ensures that I can't take part in any other event before the end of the seasion.

That, and get some work done on a couple of motorcycles, the Maxton and then get stuck back into the 911.

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom UltimaDork
10/26/21 12:02 p.m.
  1. Leave the house every weekend. My wife brilliantly pointed out that this is important enough to prioritize, and it's already helping even before the depths of winter.
  2. Finish the garage, at least short of the stuff that kinda needs to wait 'til after the weather (awning, pavers). So build garage doors, finish siding, wiring, insulating, get it drywalled, lift installation, railings.
  3. Turn 50.
  4. Move out of storage unit and into shop.
  5. Get back in to some sort of rhythm with riding the trainer and doing strength and yoga. I've already blown cyclocross season, so I've got my eye on the Echo Red 2 Red mountain bike race I've been meaning to do for years. Mostly I've been lucky with aging aches and pains, but it's becoming clearer that there's a world of difference how I feel when I exercise and when I don't. Digging trenches for the garage while not doing yoga was a clarifying moment.
  6. Put the Ranchero back to move-under-its-own-power and send it down the road. I was too slow, and my dad needs modern safety, comfort, and reliability, not a toy.
  7. Get the MGB to "baseline" for autocross season. Bushings, dampers, springs, brake lines, swap the rebuilt SUs back in place of the Weber. Generally get ready to try out a "slightly improved over stock" version before I start making big changes.

That's already really optimistic, though I'd love to get the Wolseley blown apart and the shell sent off for dipping.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CbL0u86egGZTOxe8xGMa1SDnk03UIJpopfh5JwINa8qEDr3YHsAJwLyBfwwLa8uh