3 4 5
Javelin
Javelin UltimaDork
4/9/12 6:32 p.m.

How are your rear shocks? Because mine are dead. Luckily I have a new pair of KYB's I'm going to try and swap on this week before autocross #2 on Sunday.

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
4/9/12 7:18 p.m.

Shocks are decent. I'm still going to throw Koni's at it, though.

The plan for now is M030 sways with poly bushings, Welt 250 pound springs, 30mm solid torsion bars, and Koni yellows.

I have a few other things to finish up before I tackle the suspension, but it's coming soon.

Javelin
Javelin UltimaDork
4/23/12 9:20 a.m.

New shocks

The right rear shock on the 944 has gotten so bad that the car is starting to lean. After figuring out that the M456 Sport Suspension uses Boge shocks I was able to get these KYB Gas-A-Just’s to replace the rears. Not exactly a performance upgrade, but they will at least get the car back to factory performance levels while I save up and spec out the full suspension re-do for the winter off-season.

Goodies

Gotta give a shout out to my #1 parts supplier and advice line manned by two of GRM’s best and brightest (Maroon and Duke). These are going on the car ASAP!

PseudoSport
PseudoSport HalfDork
4/23/12 9:41 a.m.

I love this thread. I might just have to buy a 944 after I’m done with the 280Z.

Uncoiled
Uncoiled Reader
4/23/12 9:51 a.m.

Awesome thread, quick thing I noticed, e30s share the same power steering reservoir as a 944!

Javelin
Javelin UltimaDork
4/23/12 10:32 a.m.

In reply to Uncoiled:

Oh man, that's good to know! Nice catch.

skywalker01
skywalker01 New Reader
4/23/12 1:09 p.m.

Frugal Germans! Why make something when you can get it from someone else?

Javelin
Javelin UltimaDork
5/12/12 8:06 p.m.

Haha! Fixed it!

The 944 has been suffering from some clutch weakness lately. I measured the clutch fork travel on Friday, and found it to be at 14mm. Factory tolerance is 15-18mm. So I ordered up a new one (NAPA had the OEM one, imagine that) as after I pulled it it was apparent what had failed. Water was seeping into the bore, which rusted it, allowing fluid to bypass the cylinder and air to enter the system.

Plopped the new one in this afternoon, and then it wouldn't bleed! Come to find out, Hans or Helmut decided that while feeding the clutch hydraulics off the master cylinder reservoir was brilliant, it wasn't hard enough to work on so they stuck the feed line on the friggin top!!! So I trimmed the line, plugged the MC hole, and attached a spare Ford clutch reservoir. Filled with fluid and bled the sucker (gravity) in 15 minutes. Ha-ha!

Put the starter back in (seriously Porsche, seriously?!?) and went on a test drive, the clutch is solid as a rock. Yeeeessss!!!

Came home and washed the old girl, we're ready for some racing tomorrow!

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UltraDork
5/12/12 10:16 p.m.
skywalker01 wrote: Frugal Germans! Why make something when you can get it from someone else?

Like land!

turboswede
turboswede PowerDork
5/12/12 10:43 p.m.

Yeah that clutch hydraulics solution was a bad idea overall.

Oh and watch the firewall, they like to crack around the clutch MC after a lot of abuse....

Glad you were able to fix it cheaply and elatively easily!

turboswede
turboswede PowerDork
5/14/12 2:27 p.m.

Selling it already?

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/3004070117.html

the season isn't even over yet!

Javelin
Javelin UltimaDork
5/14/12 3:17 p.m.

"Other opportunities may be presenting themselves"

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/27/12 11:08 a.m.

Bump so it can get into our new project car section.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson Dork
7/27/12 11:25 a.m.

??? do you still own it?

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
7/27/12 11:31 a.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson:

Nope! I got offered double what I had in it, so it's long gone. It's most of the way to being a Spec 944 car now.

Raudel
Raudel
11/27/12 3:45 p.m.

too bad you sold it, if you are interested in a 944 S2 (3.0L) let me know, I may be selling mine, 135k original miles.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson SuperDork
11/28/12 6:42 a.m.

Is that the rare 944 S2 Canoe edition?

3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oXejA1A3kmBH8Z6E9sg0dbi6ApNAIeY8FQKLZFYvqPRtkdjtMUh6dIaZnIU1KhFZ