1 2
logdog
logdog UltraDork
9/22/18 4:13 p.m.

Mrs Logdog and I have decided to add a full size van back into the fleet.  We currently have a minivan that we bought about a year ago to replace a Savana that had been around a few years.  The minivan works pretty good as the dog hauler/hardware store runner/camper/racetrack van but we really miss the room of the full size.  The search has just started and already I am reminded of how much I hate dealing with Craigslist.  We are also using Facebook Marketplace but its all the same headaches.  I think in a lot of ways its easier to deal with an enthusiast type vehicle, even if the seller is clueless, than a general market vehicle.  You deal with some crazy when Jeep shopping, but a general market vehicle seems so much worse.

Im in the north, I have realistic expectations of what a 2-4k van will be.  I know it will have some rust and other issues.  I expect it to need things like brakes/battery/tire/etc.  I try to buy the best body I can find and worry about the mechanicals later.  But dealing with the sellers is already driving me nuts!

Van 1- 2000 Ram 1500.  Contacted and asked if the vehicle was a 6 or 8 cylinder.  Was told they "didn't know".  It was advertised as "rust free", which I take with a grain of salt, but the pictures looked promising and it wasn't too far away so we asked if we could come and look at it.  Im assuming the seller was abducted by aliens because they seem to have dropped off the face of the earth.  That was 3 days ago.

Van 2- 1999 Ram 1500.  Pictures looked ok.  Seller was unable to answer any questions so we schedule a trip to look at it.  We get there and it actually looked decent at first glance.  Then the seller started telling us all the things that weren't in the ad or said on the phone/email.  The sliding door doesn't open (no biggie), It wont go above 55mph (kinda important), there is a light on the dash (actually the MIL, ABS, Brake were all on), It "idles weird" (I believe it was only running on 3 cylinders), wipers don't work (their "mechanic" friend said it was "just a wire somewhere").  Mechanicals aside, it was priced good and the body seemed ok.  They also forgot to mention they painted the inside.  The owner was a Ithica NY free spirit and the cargo area was decorated with glitter paint, finger paintings, carpet shapes glued to the wall and miscellaneous other decorations.  Ok... Its nothing that cant be fixed. So I start looking under it and it looked really solid until I got to the front frame horns.  They were so far gone Im pretty sure I could have ripped the bumper off by hand.  The upper control arms looked like they were a pothole away from being a free spirit themselves.  So we passed.  The pictures they posted online were taken before the interior was decorated.  

Van 3- 2002 Chevy Express - Seller said it needed a couple things to pass inspection.  They posted a single picture but the rockers still looked present so we contacted them to ask what they were told it needed to pass.  Never heard back.

Van 4 - 1998 Chevy Express - Several pictures, van looks good, its fairly close, we decide to just try and go look at it.  Contact seller and ask if we can come see it today if they have it.  We get back "yes".  We ask what time and are told their cousin is driving it so they have to see what is up but maybe we can see it tomorrow if the cousin gets back with them blah blah blah.  So we are waiting to see how that goes. 

Apparently the easiest way to scare off a seller is to ask if you can come look at the thing they are trying to sell. 

Once we find one we still have to deal with the meetup at Sketchy Joes Discount Tag & Title/ Bait Shop to do the paperwork that PA requires (I really miss the Michigan title transfers but that's a whole other rant)

Maybe we will buy a van, maybe we will not. 

If there are any GRMers selling a solid body full size van let me know.  Prefer GM or Dodge.  Ford if its older.  I always hated working on 4.6/5.4s.  Im totally willing to travel far away if I have a deal lined up, I cant hop on a plane to Atlanta without having something set up first.

Wish me luck!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
9/22/18 5:11 p.m.

Full-size vans down here are usually high mileage but cheap and rust free.

If you're interested in a fly and drive, ill put eyes on it in the Charlotte area 

rdcyclist
rdcyclist Reader
9/22/18 5:34 p.m.
logdog
logdog UltraDork
9/22/18 5:37 p.m.

I can only imagine the fun of trying to buy something from Craigslist in California considering I can't get people in Wilkes-Barre to call me back!laugh

I will be in LA for 10 days next month though...

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
9/22/18 6:15 p.m.

Dude, that sucks. On the flip-side, I’m the guy that lists every issue, no matter how minor, and prices accordingly...which is why I either get zero calls, or “I’ll give ya 1/10th of your already reasonable price” calls.

Sucks you don’t need another minivan. I’d sell you a nice mazda5. Tiny dent in rear passenger fender. Knob for radio volune doesn’t work, but steering wheel does....

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Reader
9/22/18 6:18 p.m.

I am also looking for a $2k-$4K  full size Chevy Express/GMC Savana in the Los Angeles area , 

The problem out here is they all seem to have 200K-300K miles on them , 

And with no yearly safety inspection they all seem pretty worn out , 

Where do you look for lower mileage vans ?

ThatsNoUsername
ThatsNoUsername HalfDork
9/22/18 9:30 p.m.

If you think craigslist for cars is bad, try musical gear.

Cooter
Cooter Dork
9/22/18 10:06 p.m.

I highly recommend buying from one of the Government Surplus auction websites. 

They are where I bought my Doge Van, and many other vehicles, including an incredibly reliable (albeit rusty) 2004 Sprinter for $900. 

rdcyclist
rdcyclist Reader
9/22/18 10:06 p.m.

Actually, I don't have much trouble with Craigs here in the SF Bay Area. Might be cuz it's the original location. Don't know. If you're gonna out here, I can line up some possibles... Gonna hafta drive it back though...

logdog
logdog UltraDork
9/23/18 7:18 a.m.

In reply to Cooter :

That's a good idea.  I never checked them out before so I guess I have a project for today while I am waiting to see if Van 4's cousin gets back from down by the river.

logdog
logdog UltraDork
9/23/18 7:23 a.m.
poopshovel again said:

Dude, that sucks. On the flip-side, I’m the guy that lists every issue, no matter how minor, and prices accordingly...which is why I either get zero calls, or “I’ll give ya 1/10th of your already reasonable price” calls.

Sucks you don’t need another minivan. I’d sell you a nice mazda5. Tiny dent in rear passenger fender. Knob for radio volune doesn’t work, but steering wheel does....

I found a 92 Ford 5.0 E150 the guy kinda laid stuff out in the ad like you.  I haven't reached out to him yet because I am still trying to decide if I want to go the Ford route. His description is swaying me to at least look at it.  

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
9/23/18 7:58 a.m.

I am buying a 93 dodge 350 van no rust and less than 100 thou. paying 1500.  I serviced the tranny and found 2 strips that can only be drum/ clutch band material so in the Near future we will go to PaP and get a unit with O.D. it has 4.10 gears so yea.  really Loong van.

logdog
logdog UltraDork
9/23/18 7:11 p.m.

We never heard back on Van 4 and the cousin situation so I think it's safe to assume that one can be crossed off the list.

Van 5 - 92 E150 mentioned above- Seller responded pretty quick and said it was sold.  

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Reader
9/23/18 7:31 p.m.

the last GMC Savana I bought was a good deal but only 1/2  ton , 

I wished it was 3/4 or 1 ton after I owned it for awhile , 

also  I like a sliding side door but other only like  the pair of  side "barndoors"

and lastly can you live with a MaxiVan  thats about 2 foot longer  than the stock van , all on the tail ?

I know how lazy I am , and everything would be piled on the tail making  steering "interesting"

Thats  the things that I think about when I am looking for a van

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/23/18 11:03 p.m.
logdog
logdog UltraDork
9/24/18 6:37 a.m.
californiamilleghia said:

the last GMC Savana I bought was a good deal but only 1/2  ton , 

I wished it was 3/4 or 1 ton after I owned it for awhile , 

also  I like a sliding side door but other only like  the pair of  side "barndoors"

and lastly can you live with a MaxiVan  thats about 2 foot longer  than the stock van , all on the tail ?

I know how lazy I am , and everything would be piled on the tail making  steering "interesting"

Thats  the things that I think about when I am looking for a van

Our Savana was a 1/2 ton but it had the 5.7 which was nice.  99% of the time it was enough van for us.  It's a shame the rust finally won on that one.

We also much prefer the sliding side door but it's not a deal breaker because it's so uncommon in comparison.  Short wheel bases are not being considered.  The regular long wheel base is the ideal.  The Ford and Dodge tail draggers would be considered if the right van came along.

I am in hotels 3 nights for work this week so I will have plenty of time to look around the internet for the next batch of contestants. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/24/18 6:51 a.m.

In reply to logdog :

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/24/18 6:51 a.m.

Dood, did you look at my linky?

logdog
logdog UltraDork
9/24/18 7:07 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

I did.  The Govdeals website does not play nice with my phone.  That's one of the places I want to dig around.

For those that have bought from government auctions, are they typically tow away pickup only or can you drive off if it runs?  

Cooter
Cooter Dork
9/24/18 7:09 a.m.

In reply to californiamilleghia :

I've owned a few Dodge MaxiVans, and my buddy has had several Ford Supervans and unless you are carrying 3 big blocks against the back doors, there is no way you will even notice a difference in steering.

I picked up this one about 4 years ago for $400 off FB, replaced the rear shackle hangers (Tech tip- check them on the Dodges; they can rust out even if the rest of the van is rust free.  Rock Auto still carried the shackle hangers cheap the last time I checked. The front rails at the steering box is another trouble area you alluded to), loaded up a bunch of furniture and furniture and household to deliver for a client, and promptly drove it from Chicago to Portland, OR and back without issue. (Picked up the tow dolly and 4 speed OD Aspen wagon on the way home in Wyoming)   Deals are out there.  This one was a Church Bus, and is still going strong as DD/minihouse that takes its current owner from coast to coast to work on boats.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/24/18 9:17 a.m.

In reply to logdog :

I assume you can drive it away, if it runs. The only ones I'd think wouldn't let you do so usually state "Must Be Towed" in the description. There is usually a number you can call for clarification. 

logdog
logdog UltraDork
9/25/18 3:15 p.m.

Well.... Thanks to ebay I have solved the problem...

hmmmm......Does this thing have....... 3 pedals?!?!?!

ThatsNoUsername
ThatsNoUsername HalfDork
9/25/18 3:22 p.m.

In reply to logdog :

Manual with a 300? Score

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
9/25/18 4:13 p.m.

probably a 240...

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/25/18 4:36 p.m.