1 2
Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
1/7/22 3:18 p.m.

For as much as people talk about the superior Aluminum cab, I hope Ford didn't make it from the same stuff as 3.0 and 3.8/4.2 timing covers, DPFE sensors, and fuel pump modules.

STM317
STM317 UberDork
1/7/22 3:30 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
STM317 said:

Anybody know what the body of the Chevy will be made of? I'm guessing steel since they're not highlighting anything new and exciting. Early reports say the Hummer has a steel bed too, so anything different would be surprising here.

We're all expecting these EVs to need less maintenance during their lives, and potentially have several hundred thousand miles of life. But as somebody who lives in the rust belt, I can see body rust potentially sending otherwise useful Silverados to the big suburban garage in the sky while the aluminum Fords could theoretically carry on.

You say that as if rust isn't already what kills Chevy trucks smiley

The Fords have steel frames, no?  Cabs don't make a truck scrapworthy, junk frames do.  

Having rusted out cab mounts repaired can be a significant enough percentage of the value of an older truck to send it down the road just the same as something like a transmission replacement might.

bigeyedfish
bigeyedfish Reader
1/7/22 4:27 p.m.

In reply to STM317 :

And then you have morons like me buying trucks with bad transmissions and rust because they're cheap...

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
1/7/22 5:29 p.m.

I would buy an electric Macerick sized truck if it was built by anybody but GM or Ford.

The Rivian is neat. The Cybertruck is intriguing. The Maverick Hybrid is much closer to my needs.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
1/7/22 6:21 p.m.
STM317 said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
STM317 said:

Anybody know what the body of the Chevy will be made of? I'm guessing steel since they're not highlighting anything new and exciting. Early reports say the Hummer has a steel bed too, so anything different would be surprising here.

We're all expecting these EVs to need less maintenance during their lives, and potentially have several hundred thousand miles of life. But as somebody who lives in the rust belt, I can see body rust potentially sending otherwise useful Silverados to the big suburban garage in the sky while the aluminum Fords could theoretically carry on.

You say that as if rust isn't already what kills Chevy trucks smiley

The Fords have steel frames, no?  Cabs don't make a truck scrapworthy, junk frames do.  

Having rusted out cab mounts repaired can be a significant enough percentage of the value of an older truck to send it down the road just the same as something like a transmission replacement might.

Rust=. Body, brake lines, transmission lines, bolts, nuts, fasteners of all sorts. Wiring,  suspension, exhaust system.  
     While I repaired some of those, having doors flap in cold weather letting -50 windchill in, fenders with big holes in them.  Etc.     Plus even if the engine/trans/ etc is still working, it's embarrassing to drive around in a rust bucket.  Not to mention what's going to fail next? Fuel line? Gas tank?  Brakes?  Headlights?  
   Frames?  They aren't Toyota's. The frames don't fail while still under warranty.  In fact I don't remember an American truck frame that was rusted through.  I suppose one or two had to but nothing like the stack of Toyota frames one commonly sees. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
1/7/22 6:36 p.m.

I would think GM could react pretty quickly if they thought Ford could grab more market share due to a more conventionally styled EV truck. That roller skate they have looks like changing the upper structure would be pretty easy. Actually, I'd expect them to have plans in the works, but in the end both trucks are crew cab short boxes, so not much difference to me yet.

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
1/7/22 6:51 p.m.

Does either company make a long bed, extended cab, no frills, 9 second 0-60, fleet truck with 300-350 miles of range for less than $40k?

If not, the numbers dont work and I'll keep buying used gassers and running them into the ground. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
1/7/22 7:42 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

0-60 times seem to be related to the battery's charging speed more than anything else.  If power can get crammed into the battery faster, it can be squeezed out faster.  Much different dynamic than ICE power limitations.

I mean, I guess if you want a truck that takes 40 hours to charge, then you can get something that takes that long to get to 60...

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/7/22 7:43 p.m.

I'm not sure we know exactly what's available to the fleets instead of individual sales. But used ones won't be available right away, so you've still got one or two gassers in your future regardless.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/7/22 7:46 p.m.

I should mention that the shop manager for Janel's company (heavy highway construction and aggregate sales, aka gravel pit) is really excited about electric pickups. He thinks they make really good sense. That's based on expected TCO, not 0-60 time, initial purchase price or cool factor. He's all about the decreased maintenance costs and the fact that he knows exactly how his vehicles are used.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
1/7/22 8:02 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

In a previous life, we had fleet managers crawling all over the place wanting us to do CNG conversions on their existing pickups strictly for the reduced maintenance costs and ability to refuel overnight at home base. 

EV trucks will be even better since electricity is cheaper than CNG and maintenance costs drop through the floor.  They were thrilled to be able to stretch OCIs out 3x a gasoline truck!

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
1/7/22 11:08 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

0-60 times seem to be related to the battery's charging speed more than anything else.  If power can get crammed into the battery faster, it can be squeezed out faster.  Much different dynamic than ICE power limitations.

Well, you do also need a motor that can use all of the power that the battery is capable of spitting out, but yes.  The incremental cost of making the motor more powerful is much lower than the incremental cost of adding the battery capacity.

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
1/8/22 10:18 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

The big battery and the single motor is going to be slower than the big battery dual motor. But as of now you can't get the big battery in a 2wd single motor truck. They are pushing the high margin trucks and I dont see anything being built as a work or fleet truck 

Nobody I know in a service or construction business needs or wants a 4 door short bed work truck with a 4 second 0-60 and a 300 mile range. A large majority of us would buy a cheap slow truck with range, cargo capacity, and the ability to carry two men and their tools. 

I spent close to $20k on fuel and truck maintenance in 2021. Build me something I can use that costs less to operate and I'll buy it. Hell, I'll buy 3 of them. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LN1SyVlFKBlnZf857JWtXivf8W3LCkaTnrh6dWWMxgCURYuorGgVzdvbZ5XFcJDo