1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/7/16 2:07 p.m.

When it comes to Z-cars, everyone wants the original 240Z. It’s viewed as the true athlete of the family thanks to its minimal mass and lightning-fast reflexes. Plus, it’s the one that made automotive history, displacing traditional European sports cars from their perch while scoring co…

Read the rest of the story

classicJackets
classicJackets Reader
6/7/16 2:27 p.m.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a Shiro model for sale, though I would absolutely love to be able to get one. The 50th anniversary models are still pretty cool and look much better than their average counterpart IMO. The turbo was fun too, and it was a quick feeling car (compared to what I was used to).

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler UltraDork
6/7/16 2:33 p.m.

A friend of mine had an 87 Turbo for years over two stints, one in the early 2000s and one in the last 5 years or so. Black with dark grey wheels and t-tops. Great-looking car, IMO, and such an 80s-tastic interior. I like them, but my bizarre tastes run more toward the 280ZX.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
6/7/16 2:40 p.m.

These cars are so forgotten these days I see nice once for like $3000 and that's turbo models.

If you want bolt on aftermarket parts you pretty much have to get those parts straight from Japan because of it. I considered one seriously recently but researched things like that and turned it down because of it. Where I am I know no trusted people to do things like fabricate an intercooler and piping for example so aftermarket products are serious business.

You still have nistune available for engine management for this.

Non-Shiro turbo cars have a clutch LSD AFAIK shiro has the standard Nissan viscous.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/7/16 2:41 p.m.

Check the user name. Had an '88 NA through high school and first few years of college. Eibach springs, Koni Shocks, ST Sways, 240sx throttle body, Pacesetter header and full exhaust, sticky 225/50/16 tires on horrible tri-spoke wheels (they were on it when I got the car in July '98, I was a sophomore in high school.)

Electronic dash and climate control. Heavy, horrible rear suspension geometry under compression.

It was bulletproof though. I bought the car with 75k miles on it and drove it to 150k miles. I beat on that car relentlessly and the only thing it every went through was a clutch......and the craptastic 80s gauges/climate control failing.

White with ALL burgundy leather interior. Everything was burgundy. That was a really fun car to have in high school with the T-Tops.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
6/7/16 3:04 p.m.

I recall taking a Challenged priced, non turbo example for a drive that I found sitting on a used car lot sometime in the early 2000s, and walking back to the dealership on foot when it died about a half mile down the road.

Still seems like they'd be an interesting budget performance build... or possibly a good candidate for an LSx swap.

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
6/7/16 4:30 p.m.

Back in the early '90's we had club member with one. What I remember most is the rear bumper almost hit the ground on autocross launches. Man it was soft.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/7/16 4:57 p.m.

Super bonus points for painting one like Prowl or Smokescreen from The Transformers.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
6/7/16 5:58 p.m.

My father had a white NA one.. it was a nice car, but I hated the gages

Robbie
Robbie SuperDork
6/9/16 9:13 a.m.

I was sitting next to one in downtown (inside the loop) chicago traffic last night of all places. It looked great amongst all the taxis.

Fitzauto
Fitzauto HalfDork
6/9/16 9:17 a.m.

I borrow a black 88 turbo for track days when my other cars are down. Good fun until boost comes on mid-corner and then it gets quite interesting.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director, Grassroots Motorsports & Classic Motorsports
6/9/16 7:26 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: White with ALL burgundy leather interior. Everything was burgundy. That was a really fun car to have in high school with the T-Tops.

We're the '80s awesome? Now that I think about it, my '82 Accord was all blue--inside and outside.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Dork
6/9/16 9:29 p.m.

They used these z31's quite a lot on the wangan in the 90's in the hey day of the bosozoku (for those that know that underground scene well...heh)

Also, I never bought the one I test drove due to the hilarious squat under hard acceleration, the poor geometry of the IRS is to blame. (More specifically, where the spring attempts to hold back the mighty fulcrum known as a lower arm)

Redesigned arms fix it. Stiff springs bandaid the issue. "Dat toe...mm"

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
6/19/19 1:25 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:
z31maniac wrote: White with ALL burgundy leather interior. Everything was burgundy. That was a really fun car to have in high school with the T-Tops.

We're the '80s awesome? Now that I think about it, my '82 Accord was all blue--inside and outside.

I miss blue interiors. And z31s, for that matter. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/19/19 1:35 p.m.
Jordan Rimpela said:
David S. Wallens said:

I miss blue interiors. And z31s, for that matter. 

I still like them a lot. Really the only part of the styling that hasn't held up well on the 87-89 (when they rounded out the bodywork from the 84-86), is the rear overhang past the rear tire is LONG.

_
_ HalfDork
6/19/19 2:43 p.m.

It would be nice to see someone do one of these and modernize it. Reworked suspension, VQ35 power, cd009, etc. maybe tubular arms to help that squat. 

Edit: https://z31performance.com/forum/z31-performance-upgrade-forums/suspension-chassis-and-brakes/15671-the-basics-z31-suspension-options

this guy knows how. 

NickD
NickD PowerDork
6/19/19 2:54 p.m.

I could never get past the styling on these. Some '80s stuff is cool, but these have remained hopelessly hideous to me.

_
_ HalfDork
6/19/19 3:26 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

Have you seen all of the combinations? Because I can agree with you, there were some taillights and body design features that were gross. But then there were some that were totally awesome  

alfabeach
alfabeach New Reader
6/19/19 4:16 p.m.

I miss my 1985 300ZX, a great long distance cruiser. Custom exhaust and koni's.

Tomwas1
Tomwas1 New Reader
6/19/19 4:53 p.m.

Have had 17 zx's. A mix of s130s and z31 cars. Actually had an 80 2plus 2 last year for 9 months, so!d it to get a 97 m3 coupe. Bucket list you know... I love the last gen 280zx and first gen 300zx, even had an 84 ae in the mix for a short time... Fantastic car. If the right one came along again it would be in my driveway... Have done the rear crossmember job in my driveway with multiple scissor jacks and a lot of cursing... Nissan wanted $1k bucks to do the job, was a great accomplishment when it was all said and done.... Buy one and love it...!!! Lasts years 280 and the ae I had about seven years ago...

Billatmystic
Billatmystic
6/19/19 8:23 p.m.

You guys must be younger than I thought not to remember how the 280 and 300 were crucified by the reviewers and commentators  about Datsun/ Nissan turning the lovely 240z sports car into a love boat/pig!

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
6/20/19 8:15 a.m.
Billatmystic said:

You guys must be younger than I thought not to remember how the 280 and 300 were crucified by the reviewers and commentators  about Datsun/ Nissan turning the lovely 240z sports car into a love boat/pig!

They were, but it's been 30 years now since the last Z31 (U.S.) was sold. Should that stigma still follow these cars around, or is it finally time to let that sentiment go and just embrace them? Especially when you consider what David wrote above:

Way, way back in 1996, a little magazine called Grassroots Motorsports pitted the 240Z against a 300ZX. The test cars were prepared for SCCA Improved Touring S competition, and our drivers included the day’s best: Grayson Upchurch Jr., a supporter of the newer alternative, and longtime 240Z driver and tuner John Williams. We performed the test at Road Atlanta, back before they filled in the dip.

After his session in the 300ZX, Williams proclaimed it the slower sibling. Then we looked at the lap times: It circled Road Atlanta just as quickly as his trusted steed.

(Emphasis added by me)

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
6/20/19 8:27 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Remember the 2000s?

All blue exterior, interior and a blue top:

NorseDave
NorseDave Reader
6/20/19 3:25 p.m.

My dad had an '85 Turbo.  Bought it used in '86 with something like 32k mi on it already.  The steering rack failed within a month, so that got replaced under warranty.  Next thing to go was the alternator.  At 183k mi.  Other than regular oil changes, and maybe a set of spark plugs, that was it for maintenance.  When he finally let it go in like 2001, it still pulled hard on its original clutch.   Loved that car, the analog dash and cloth (velour?) seats made for a very comfy place to spend a few hours.  Rust eventually got the better of the body.  

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy SuperDork
6/20/19 6:08 p.m.

When I was 12-13, this car was all I wanted (Ok, Fiero, too, later MR2). They look good to my old eyes, if they haven't been too fancified.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vhnfaywtdV7kUirEk4D04JGVzjPkdQk4Lud6K18Fca8JSVtwqIFtOGnhLFGR72d7