Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
9/16/19 2:55 p.m.

if you've never watched Cold War Motors on YouTube, then you're in for a treat. Scott is awesome. Don't believe me? Here you go:

They're working to get two old, seized straight eights up and running. As a fan of all things Packard and inline eights, this has been my favorite multi-part video series on his channel to date. But don't worry, there's a lot to see on his channel. Thankfully, no LS swaps to be seen. 

Jordan Rimpela
9/17/19 8:17 a.m.

Ah, c'mon, this series is almost as good as our new, soft t-shirts!

slowbird
slowbird HalfDork
9/17/19 9:46 a.m.

Oooh. The only thing better than a straight-six is a straight-eight.

02Pilot
02Pilot SuperDork
9/19/19 8:11 a.m.

I've now watched all five parts of this. It's oddly mesmerizing; I think it's the Canadian accents. I'm deeply envious of the stash of cars, parts, and old tools.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
9/19/19 8:14 a.m.

I really want to try and daily drive a 40s straight-8 car through a whole winter.

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
9/19/19 8:50 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

I really want to try and daily drive a 40s straight-8 car through a whole winter.

Challenge subclass? 

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
9/19/19 9:54 a.m.
Jordan Rimpela said:

You 100% missed an opportunity to add a link to the store for the new, soft t-shirts. The marketing director has nothing to fear, yet.

Jordan Rimpela
9/19/19 9:59 a.m.
Brett_Murphy said:
Jordan Rimpela said:

You 100% missed an opportunity to add a link to the store for the new, soft t-shirts. The marketing director has nothing to fear, yet.

It crossed my mind. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
9/19/19 2:31 p.m.

The straight 8 showdown has been great, but I'm waiting for the next installment of his Plymouth resurrection (for those who haven't seen it he's splicing the rusty remains of a 1960 Plymouth with the underbody and drivetrain of a 1960 Dodge.)  His metal fabrication skills are very impressive.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin SuperDork
9/19/19 3:29 p.m.

Thank you for bring these guys to my attention. I just finished the pretty much last 359 twinsticks episode where another Canadian northern boy brings an old Pete back to life. I started watching mostly because he worked on his truck in a muddy driveway through two northern Alberta winters which was kind of mesmerizing. That E36 M3 is hard enough in a warm shop.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC4hWrVWKF9aPZcxoSUz8CNw

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
9/19/19 3:43 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

I think anyone who did that back when there wasn't an alternative would roll their eyes at you.  Dad wore a fur hat, except when it was stuffed in the heaters air intake during snow flurries. Late 40s Buick.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
9/19/19 6:28 p.m.

What's the newest production car to sport an I-8 and how many did they sell?

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
9/19/19 6:38 p.m.

Pontiac and Packard had straight 8 engines through 1954.  Buick was done with them in 1953.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
9/19/19 6:45 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

A lot of people didn't drive their cars  in winter back then.

Just think of all the times you would have to put the chains on.

Heaters were good in spring and fall.   No defrosters either.

No salt, just plowed with maybe a little sand.

Fun times.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
9/19/19 6:57 p.m.

And when it got below zero, forget it, the car wouldn't start anyway.    6 volts did do much.

Just thought most of what I posted existed to the mid 50's.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YXRkafDsaQweiGWTszwVOcrDxyDSpyCkukM6iBMCA2vBjvdCloxm4g7TdXbylrup