1 2
RexSeven
RexSeven UberDork
2/9/15 5:47 a.m.

I'm going to test-drive a 2012 Evo X MR this week with the flappy-paddle gearbox. I asked about the little brother Ralliart in an earlier learn-me post but those are actually fairly rare in my area, as are Evo VIII and IX models that aren't totally worn out/riced out. This particular X is loaded and the price and odometer readings look good, but are Evo Xs too hardcore for daily-driver duty? I know the transmission fluid is a special (and expensive) type, but otherwise are there any real mechanical weak spots or downsides?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
2/9/15 6:29 a.m.

They need another oil cooler and trans cooler for track or non-gentle street use, I know that.

You might want to beef up the plastic gas pedal stem.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
2/9/15 7:26 a.m.

My personal experience (with other peoples cars) is that any level of aggressive driving will set off overheat lights on the transmission. Other than that they seem to be solid used as intended.
All three of the IX's that I know are down with engine issues. At the same time. It seems much more common in the IX world to just go 30psi and E85 until something pops. The heat issues in the X keep people from doing as much stupid.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim UltimaDork
2/9/15 8:47 a.m.

I didn't find mine too hardcore for DD use, that's what I bought it for. The transmission was fine in daily use, too.

One known weak spot is the hydraulic pump unit for the AWD control system - they corrode as they're right next to the rear wheel. I actually just got a letter from Mitsu that on my model year they extended the warranty on them from 30k/3 years to 100k/10 years. I'll have to check the letter again, I think this covers the 2008-14 model years.

Weakest point IME in looking at Evos both here and in the UK isn't the car but the previous owner(s). Check very carefully for mods and mods that have been reversed.

RexSeven
RexSeven UberDork
2/9/15 5:15 p.m.

I saw a cone air filter in one of the photos. Which gives me a little pause. If that's the only mod, it may still pass muster for me. As for the transmission, it is everloving cold where I am so I doubt temperature will be a problem for now! When spring rolls around I would upgrade the cooling and replace the fluid.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
2/9/15 5:38 p.m.

Just wanted to say "good thread title".

Knurled
Knurled UltimaDork
2/9/15 6:53 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: My personal experience (with other peoples cars) is that any level of aggressive driving will set off overheat lights on the transmission.

Were you left foot braking? Applying the brakes is supposed to automatically partially disengage the active clutch even if throttle is applied. I've heard of avid LFBers causing the trans to overheat in one lap.

If anything this is a good excuse to break oneself of that habit

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
2/10/15 8:36 a.m.

Is there any legit reason to use simultaneous LFB anymore? Like the scandinavian flick, that's an obsolete technique for cars with horribly broken handling (and/or turbo setups) IMO.

If you want to use your left foot on the brakes for quicker brake/gas transition and maybe have a little overlap, that would be understandable.

Knurled
Knurled UltimaDork
2/10/15 12:51 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

I do it to prevent the trans from upshifting. If I had manual control, it wouldn't be necessary.

EvanB
EvanB UltimaDork
2/10/15 1:09 p.m.

I do it to go fast.

petegossett
petegossett PowerDork
2/10/15 2:15 p.m.

In an FWD car it's a great way to balance the car and change its yaw all the way through a corner. Plus applying the brakes on corner-entry while you're still on the throttle can help induce rotation/prevent oversteer.

The same tricks often work in AWD cars too.

RexSeven
RexSeven UberDork
2/13/15 7:34 p.m.

So, the Evo X MR I was looking at was sold. While I look for others, I do have a question: Between the GSR (5-speed manual) and MR (6-speed DCT), which one would you prefer? I've been a good ol' stick 'n' clutch kind of guy most of my life but I want to try at least one flappy-paddle car and the Evo's is the best around from what I've read.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim UltimaDork
2/13/15 7:59 p.m.

Depends if you drive it on the highway a lot - a bunch of reviewers have complained that fifth gear on the GSR is too short so you end up with a buzz box. No such problem in the MR.

<subliminal message>My MR is still for sale</subliminal message>

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
2/14/15 8:47 a.m.

That DCT gearbox is a serial wallet rapist that's only really better for track use, but on the other hand it seems wrong for a modern and powerful car to have only 5 speeds. Especially if the ratios aren't good.

RexSeven
RexSeven UberDork
2/25/15 8:06 p.m.

Seems like no dealer is willing to let me test-drive an Evo. Grr... there's a nice one-owner 2008 MR I have my eye on and the Audi A3 and 2013 WRX I tried leave me a little cold. On the one hand, the Evo's reputation precedes itself. On the other, I'm reluctant to purchase a car sans test drive. What to do?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim UltimaDork
2/25/15 8:13 p.m.

When I bought mine, I ran into the same problem.

I pointed out to the salesperson that I had just driven five hours and if he wanted an easy $45k sale wander out the door, I'd be game.

Funnily enough they didn't have a problem letting me drive it after that little speech.

turtl631
turtl631 Reader
2/26/15 4:02 a.m.

I dove a new one here in Wisconsin no problem, then bought an S2000 instead. They practically threw me the keys.

stan_d
stan_d Dork
2/26/15 6:45 a.m.

I test drove a new evo when they first came out. The salesman pulled it off the showroom floor. He drove it down to a curvy road and went to one end and turned the car over to me. I believe the comments were "You are responsible for your own tickets." Then all I heard was "too fast, slow down. " The tires weren't even complaining yet. The thing is the turbo SAAB I was driving felt a lot faster than that car.

That was the only time I ever went and test drove a car with no intension of buying. I couldn't afford it then.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
2/26/15 6:52 a.m.
RexSeven wrote: Seems like no dealer is willing to let me test-drive an Evo. Grr... there's a nice one-owner 2008 MR I have my eye on and the Audi A3 and 2013 WRX I tried leave me a little cold. On the one hand, the Evo's reputation precedes itself. On the other, I'm reluctant to purchase a car sans test drive. What to do?

Leave the flatbill hat and brightly-laced shoes at home, show up in shorts and socks w/ sandals, the sales guy will toss you the keys and tell you to keep it overnight if you want

evildky
evildky Dork
2/26/15 3:00 p.m.

Run away! The EVO X is fast and fun and a total pile of E36 M3.

RexSeven
RexSeven UberDork
2/26/15 6:45 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Leave the flatbill hat and brightly-laced shoes at home, show up in shorts and socks w/ sandals, the sales guy will toss you the keys and tell you to keep it overnight if you want

I don't wear flatbills and it's wayyy too cold to wear anything but boots right now. My GRM beanie might be a bit much though...

evildky wrote: Run away! The EVO X is fast and fun and a total pile of E36 M3.

Elaboration please? The interior is nearly Saturn cheap and I'm under no illusions that this car's running costs will be low, but they seem to be reliable if maintained...

evildky
evildky Dork
2/27/15 10:52 a.m.

I have a friend with an EXO X, I have driven that car a lot and it's awesome...... when it doesn't break. The engine has been out of that car at least twice a year, the clutch has been an issue, the transfer case has been an issue, the differential has been an issue (I had no idea anyone ever made a differential so complicated with so many moving parts). Keeping it closer to stock would make for a much more reliable car but even the less modified cars have a way of self destructing on a regular basis. If you have a tow rig and don't mind yanking the drivetrain periodically have at but you've been warned. The seats are actually quite nice but will violate you if you try sliding in.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
2/27/15 12:14 p.m.

What is transmission maintenance like for this car?

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer SuperDork
2/27/15 12:17 p.m.

In reply to kanaric:

Sounds like drive, blow up, replace!

Sorry, I'm not help there really.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
2/27/15 1:05 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: They need another oil cooler and trans cooler for track or non-gentle street use, I know that. You might want to beef up the plastic gas pedal stem.

The transmissions overheat very easily on the road course.

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ID/2108/Project-EVO-X-Keeping-the-engine-oil-and-SST-tranny-cool.aspx

I think it would make an awesome all-weather daily driver, though! Just look into insurance cost, first. When I was shopping for a car a few years ago, the cost of insuring an Evo was insane!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
enfxW6RcXxBtmWRtO2jICNKLOSXaWpfAK69xEkoHO2P9gIoYZ7lzyLECCHZlmfjO