CAinCA
CAinCA Reader
3/23/21 5:52 p.m.
TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) said:

One of the new electric Mach thingies from Ford.  Reminded me of a Cayenne.  Didn't hate it but it didn't change my life either.

I just saw a white one over the weekend. Not great, not terrible either.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
3/25/21 9:25 a.m.

jeep

LopRacer
LopRacer Dork
3/25/21 2:18 p.m.

Spotted this on the way to pick up the kiddos yesterday, yes I am stopped at a traffic light, I see them for sale farily regularly but this is one of only a few I have seen driven locally.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
3/25/21 2:29 p.m.

In reply to LopRacer :

Feels weird seeing one on the "wrong* side of the road.

Every R32 that I have seen imported to the US was that color, too.  ("every" = like three)

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
3/25/21 5:41 p.m.

Slippery (Forum Supporter)
Slippery (Forum Supporter) UberDork
3/25/21 6:59 p.m.

Is this legit or some dealer bs package?

3/25/21 7:05 p.m.
Slippery (Forum Supporter) said:

Saw a Suzuki Cappuccino today. Took me a bit to figure out what it was. No pics. 

Saw it again!

3/25/21 7:09 p.m.

My dad had an '89 just like this one, his was a 5 speed LX. What a great car! Had 350k miles on the original clutch when he got rid of it. 

Have not seen one in ages. 

lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter)
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
3/25/21 7:19 p.m.

Do junkyard unicorn sightings count?

I had to go to the local recycling center today and took some time to go walk through the carcasses lying around. To my surprise there was a Supra turbo in the back of the yard. NO RUST!!!!!! Would be a great project car IF I needed another project.

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath SuperDork
3/26/21 5:34 a.m.

What a find! Those MKIII Supras are magnificent cars. 

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
3/26/21 6:21 a.m.

In reply to Slippery (Forum Supporter) :

Dealer package... I was going to guess Florida before I saw the plates, lol! 

3/26/21 8:06 a.m.

In reply to Saron81 :

I expected that was the case. Thanks. 

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/26/21 10:10 a.m.
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) said:

Do junkyard unicorn sightings count?

I had to go to the local recycling center today and took some time to go walk through the carcasses lying around. To my surprise there was a Supra turbo in the back of the yard. NO RUST!!!!!! Would be a great project car IF I needed another project.

That's probably worth buying, then shipping to the rust belt states so someone with a mechanically perfect car with crusty body can swap parts over.  I love this generation of Supra and I've never understood the attraction of the silly melted soap bar IV gen cars.  These III gen cars had a real racing pedegree too.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
3/26/21 10:23 a.m.

In reply to Slippery (Forum Supporter) :

The carbureted cars disappeared quickly up here because the filler necks would rust, fill the fuel tank with sediment and dirt, and the carb would get all sorts of problems due to rust particles.

The LX-i models lasted much longer, because the EFI had better filters, so they had a chance to die by rust instead of being taken out early by mechanical problems.

3/26/21 12:24 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Yeah, the carb system in that car was insane. It probably had 3 miles of vacuum hoses. 

I had an '88 Prelude SI at the same time and it was much simpler even though it was a different engine. 

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
3/26/21 1:56 p.m.
Slippery (Forum Supporter) said:

Is this legit or some dealer bs package?

I vote for the latter... a legit Guy Harvey package ought to have a sailfish airbrushed across the whole length of the truck.

FMB42
FMB42 Reader
3/26/21 2:10 p.m.

That's a cool Supra for sure. The early versions of that inline 6 had some issues. Fortunately, said issues were ironed out. I'm not sure, but I think that Toyota's JZ series of engines were manufactured by Yamaha.

Shadeux (Forum Supporter)
Shadeux (Forum Supporter) Dork
3/26/21 2:18 p.m.

I got behind one of these yesterday. First one I've seen. Striking.

FISKER Karma specs & photos - 2011, 2012 - autoevolution

Somebeach (Forum Supporter)
Somebeach (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
3/26/21 6:22 p.m.

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath SuperDork
3/26/21 8:34 p.m.
FMB42 said:

That's a cool Supra for sure. The early versions of that inline 6 had some issues. Fortunately, said issues were ironed out. I'm not sure, but I think that Toyota's JZ series of engines were manufactured by Yamaha.

The US got only 7m engines. Those are good but they have headgasket issues. Toyota only called for 55ish pounds of torque on the head studs for some reason. I'd bet you dollars to donuts that Supra is in the junkyard because of a head gasket.

1jz swaps are popular but they were only ever factory on RHD Supras so it's not as simple as you'd think to upgrade. If I had another MK3, I'd pull the valve covers, torque the head bolts to 85 pounds and enjoy the otherwise fine 7m

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
3/26/21 9:12 p.m.

In reply to DaewooOfDeath :

It's basic Internet knowledge nowadays to retorque the head bolts for a long and fruitful headgasket life.

I mean, look.  I'm a Ford and Mazda nerd who got sucked into Volvos because I hate rust (see: Ford and Mazda nerd) and I know this.

I was a Mopar guy as a kid, but I wasn't born with rich enough parents to be able to afford a Valiant, let alone a B-body or (makes sign of the Pentastar) an E-body.  Ref: rust

johndej
johndej Dork
3/26/21 9:33 p.m.

In reply to Slippery & Pete :

I've got my eyes peeled for an 89 lxi hatchback and an 88 prelude si. First cars for myself and youngest brother. Middle brother had a 93 celica which I haven't seen in a while also.

3/26/21 9:45 p.m.

In reply to johndej :

I had a '90 GT-S back in the mid 90's :)

Pattyo
Pattyo Reader
3/27/21 7:53 a.m.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder SuperDork
3/27/21 8:38 a.m.

Not really a unicorn but nifty!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JUWjJyWdKNSJgWbtPS9zc3RFgntXUSHMGVibZy2UDH5r5q5YzhVMWVkhTcJ3HzuE