Skobie New Reader
9/25/22 7:12 p.m.

Fox platform Mercury Cougar with way, way too much plastic surgery 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
9/25/22 7:17 p.m.
NickD said:

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Fortunately it didn't break an engine part. It broke a control arm or a subframe and an axle. Unless those are unique to the W8 cars

Nope, generic B5 parts, or at least shared with the B5 S4.  I think the arms are generic B5, I dunno about the uprights, and the brakes and axles are S4, complete with the goofy 4 pads per caliper front brakes that they glommed from the A8.

B5s were prone to the front subframes rusting AND the rear upper control arm/shock mount rusting.  It was the creepiest thing, the rear upper control arm would be flopping around in the mount because all the metal in the vicinity had turned back into ore and fled the vehicle.  You'd unbolt the mount, and the tub would be perfect behind the mount where it was attached.  Paint wouldn't even be mussed.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
9/25/22 8:45 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
NickD said:

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Fortunately it didn't break an engine part. It broke a control arm or a subframe and an axle. Unless those are unique to the W8 cars

Nope, generic B5 parts, or at least shared with the B5 S4.  I think the arms are generic B5, I dunno about the uprights, and the brakes and axles are S4, complete with the goofy 4 pads per caliper front brakes that they glommed from the A8.

B5s were prone to the front subframes rusting AND the rear upper control arm/shock mount rusting.  It was the creepiest thing, the rear upper control arm would be flopping around in the mount because all the metal in the vicinity had turned back into ore and fled the vehicle.  You'd unbolt the mount, and the tub would be perfect behind the mount where it was attached.  Paint wouldn't even be mussed.

This looked like the rear of the front control arm was hanging down, and when it separated it pulled the CV joint apart. The whole car was rather rusty. When it pulled up for tech, I just assumed it was a regular rusty Passat and then the driver opened the hood and there was the engine cover with W8 on it. It sounded pretty awesome on course too, and was fairly fast

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
9/25/22 9:05 p.m.

In reply to Skobie :

I saw an absolutely mint one the other day. It would be fun to toss the full catalog of performance parts at one.

Skobie
Skobie New Reader
9/25/22 9:39 p.m.

In reply to buzzboy :

Was thinking more along the lines of converting horns to full locomotive 

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
9/25/22 10:34 p.m.
LopRacer said:

There was some sort of body kit on it, but a tasteful one at least.

Looks just like a F355 to me.

Stories of Standards—The Music of Stevie Wonder - KUVO

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
9/25/22 10:36 p.m.
Skobie said:

In reply to buzzboy :

Was thinking more along the lines of converting horns to full locomotive 

Por que no los dos?

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve Reader
9/26/22 11:35 a.m.
Skobie said:

Fox platform Mercury Cougar with way, way too much plastic surgery 

If you prefer your fiberglass baroque automobiles in the Japanese variety, you could always spring for the Mitsuoka Le-Seyde, based on the S13:

Skobie
Skobie New Reader
9/26/22 11:42 a.m.

In reply to AMiataCalledSteve :

First time ever for the terms "fiberglass" and "baroque" to appear in the same sentence. Double points for immediate adjacency; triple points for the absence of any negating modifiers.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
10/1/22 1:07 p.m.

A SAAB 9.7x with an intact hood.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
10/1/22 1:10 p.m.

I was not paying much attention and thought this was a Maverick in front of me.  Those things are everywhere.

Then I heard the V8 blop-blop-blop and noticed the badges.  I was today years old when I found out that Ford made these.

Explorer Sport Trac Adrenalin.

Same intersection where I had the close encounter of the Biturbo kind

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
10/1/22 8:52 p.m.

A C8 Z06, a Ginetta G19. Sorry, no pics. It was a nice fall day in Detroit though so a dash cam would have come in a handy for all the cool cars!

P3PPY
P3PPY Dork
10/1/22 9:41 p.m.

my highschool crush here. #1020 or so out of like 1400, or so the engine plate said. Has like 15k on the odo. Excellent shape inside and out, owner very happy to talk about it. 
I didn't know much about these before, but that hood is a significantly more tasteful way to add nostrils to the Firebird than the typical T/A WS6 bumps. 
He even took the time/$1,700 to order Firehawk tires for it. 

adam525i
adam525i Dork
10/1/22 11:22 p.m.

Right hand drive BMW 530d imported from the UK based on the mph speedometer spotted in Steinbach Manitoba

RabidBullFrog
RabidBullFrog New Reader
10/3/22 3:39 a.m.

NEO Cars and Coffee were at Summit Racing today. A few other RHDs made it out.

RabidBullFrog
RabidBullFrog New Reader
10/3/22 3:44 a.m.

Plus the first one of these I've seen in person.

And another car show in the afternoon revealed this unicorn.

EricM
EricM SuperDork
10/3/22 4:58 a.m.

The X11 was my childhood dream car.  I didn't have very big dreams.

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
10/3/22 8:23 a.m.
adam525i said:Right hand drive BMW 530d imported from the UK based on the mph speedometer spotted in Steinbach Manitoba

I wonder how that made it in, being less than 25 years?  I know non-US E39s are considered "similar enough" and can be imported from a crash safety perspective, but I would have thought emissions concerns would still prevent importing one with an engine that wasn't sold in the US. 

Slippery
Slippery PowerDork
10/3/22 9:04 a.m.
rslifkin said:
adam525i said:Right hand drive BMW 530d imported from the UK based on the mph speedometer spotted in Steinbach Manitoba

I wonder how that made it in, being less than 25 years?  I know non-US E39s are considered "similar enough" and can be imported from a crash safety perspective, but I would have thought emissions concerns would still prevent importing one with an engine that wasn't sold in the US. 

Canada

adam525i
adam525i Dork
10/3/22 10:17 a.m.
Slippery said:
rslifkin said:

Canada

We get our cool cars 10 years earlier than you guys!

johndej
johndej SuperDork
10/3/22 10:52 a.m.

McLaren Elva and Buggati Chiron on display at the Wynn Las Vegas. Would rather see them out being driven.

Rons
Rons HalfDork
10/3/22 11:30 a.m.

In reply to EricM :

The Citation was a car that when 19 year old me heard the hype before it came out - stud, reality once it came out - dud.

Slippery
Slippery PowerDork
10/3/22 1:29 p.m.

I dont think I have ever seen a "stepside" Tacoma in person. 

clownkiller
clownkiller Dork
10/3/22 1:57 p.m.
Rons said:

In reply to EricM :

The Citation was a car that when 19 year old me heard the hype before it came out - stud, reality once it came out - dud.

I walked by the Chevy dealer on my way to elementary school. They had a line of those in the front. Cool looking back in the day.

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
10/3/22 4:26 p.m.

This came by me at about 85-90mph, looked to be in great shape.  Then promptly pulled over to the side of the road.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eInhxnGimQfMN00fAYIneYAYaAPjjL0ogz8b5QL57uxfKcQv01Q46S1clxE1tVV8