racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
7/6/18 4:13 p.m.

Given the shorter wheelbase and shape of the back, I think it might be a Talbot 90, maybe as early as 1950.  You need to run him down and ask!  

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
7/6/18 6:24 p.m.
wlkelley3 said:

In reply to chief8one :

Switch electronically engages/disengages overdrive. Believe it will work in gears 2-4. Simple to use, supposed to let off on the gas pedal and flip the switch to engage/disengage overdrive and get back on the gas. It will work just flipping the switch with gas pedal pressed but letting off the gas will prolong the life of the overdrive. This type is common on many older British cars. MG, Triumph, AH and others. Even on some Volvos. Seen it used in other gears like 2 & 3 when racing, used right it can shift quicker than actually shifting gears.

The Corvette's 4+3 would engage Overdrive in 2-4. (So it wasn't just a clever name.)   MGBs would only allow it in 3rd and 4th, and there was a vacuum switch where you HAD to let off the throttle or push in the clutch to permit it to shift.  I spent a lot of road miles verifying the function on a rubber-bumper that I had all apart and completely rebuilt its overdrive, which needed a new case but we made it work with some clever machining and some sourced Oilite material.  That experience is what directly led to me getting my '81 RX-7 with the mindset of leaving it Simple and Stock As Possible.  (I was looking for an MGB when I found my first RX-7, back in 1998....)

I would like to say that the 740 Turbo only allowed it to be engaged in 4th, but it has been a while and I didn't spend much time in that car, only 300 miles or so.

I will allow that the turbo made noises almost exactly like the turbos in that Ruf "Yellowbird" Nurburgring video. ("Faszination" or also called Lap1 and Lap2 online)

noddaz
noddaz SuperDork
7/7/18 12:11 p.m.

Maybe not a unicorn, but slightly different.

yupididit
yupididit SuperDork
7/7/18 12:57 p.m.

Another from work 

oldrotarydriver
oldrotarydriver Reader
7/7/18 5:24 p.m.

Question: what vehicle would you least expect in a Lowes parking lot near the lumber yard?

Answer:

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
7/10/18 7:02 a.m.
stroker said:

In reply to kazoospec :

Didn't know the Brits flew those...

????????  It's a DeHavilland Vampire, which IS a British plane.  Who the heck else is going to fly them if the country of origin doesn't?

NickD
NickD UberDork
7/10/18 7:48 a.m.

Was at an autocross this weekend and someone was running a Monte Carlo Yellow Saab 9-3 Viggen convertible. From what I've read, there were only 68 Monte Carlo Yellow Viggens total

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
7/10/18 9:15 a.m.

The Ace Of Spades rally made a stop in Columbus and my buddy talked me into going to see the cars.   Did not expect to see a Radical with plates. 

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
7/10/18 9:19 a.m.

Saw this while going out to dinner last night. 

oldrotarydriver
oldrotarydriver Reader
7/10/18 2:53 p.m.
Knurled. said:
johndej said:

Haven't seen it in the flesh but someone is selling a Mazda RX-2 on craigslist

This post is useless without a link.

LINK ME.

DAMMIT MAN, WHERE"S THE LINK???

This?

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/cto/d/73-mazda-rx2/6622125963.html

stroker
stroker UltraDork
7/10/18 6:25 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:
stroker said:

In reply to kazoospec :

Didn't know the Brits flew those...

????????  It's a DeHavilland Vampire, which IS a British plane.  Who the heck else is going to fly them if the country of origin doesn't?

My bad, I thought it was a T-37 and forgot about the twin booms.  The Vampire had a side-by-side two-seater model?

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
7/11/18 9:36 a.m.
stroker said:

My bad, I thought it was a T-37 and forgot about the twin booms.  The Vampire had a side-by-side two-seater model?

try of origin doesn't?

No problem.  There were a couple of two seat versions .  The DH113 was a night fighter that replaced the Mosquito and the trainer dubbed the DH.115.

Other notable features.  It's egg shaped fuselage was made of plywood like the famous Mosquito.  It was the first jet aircraft to take off and land from a carrier.  It was the first jet aircraft to fly across the Atlantic.  It initially held the world altitude record at just over 50K feet.  Finally it was the first operational British fighter to be able to go 500mph.  Another amazing aircraft designed and built with the massive material constrains of WWII.  

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
7/19/18 9:31 p.m.

Saw a Fisker Karma at DD today. Canada plates in S FL.

[URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/South%20Florida/20180719_102410_zpswmkjrthl.jpg.html][/URL]

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
7/20/18 5:07 a.m.

I don't follow new car releases at all but I did see a rip off of the nickel and dime concept from a few years back.  Only one I've seen so far and still has the temporary tags whilst parked at my place of work.  I kinda liked it and I really don't care for the brand.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
7/22/18 7:03 a.m.

Harlequin Golf, on a car hauler that also had a '55-56 Vic and some other oddballs.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 Dork
7/23/18 8:32 a.m.

Saw a Pontiac Solstice coupe yesterday. Not enough time to grab a picture though. I didn't even realize there was such a thing!

RossD
RossD MegaDork
7/23/18 8:52 a.m.

I saw someone had a '80 or '90ish converted school bus that had a full length frame but with half the cab. The back half had a dove tail deck with some ramps and a shorty '50s "COOL BUS" hot rod style.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
7/23/18 11:39 a.m.

And just now, an immaculately stock looking Corrado VR6, tooling up the road.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
7/27/18 8:55 a.m.

spotted at work

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
7/27/18 9:09 a.m.

^Now that's hard to beat in terms of rarity! Does it run?

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
7/27/18 9:15 a.m.

I think that it runs, I have never seen it in motion however

Ram50Ron
Ram50Ron Reader
7/27/18 9:57 a.m.

In reply to pilotbraden :

I thought GM rounded all of these up and told the owners that their cars went to go live on a farm.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
7/27/18 9:59 a.m.

^Most of them, around 40 of them escaped the big charging port in the sky.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
7/27/18 10:05 a.m.

This one lives in the Regional Technology Center building at Mott Community College. It usually sits in the lobby at the southwest entrance. It appears to have some smashed bugs on the nose. I thought that GM  only leased them ,so they could maintain control over them.

I will get better photos when it is moved out of the corridor

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo Dork
8/2/18 1:39 p.m.

Spotted my dream car in the wild, a Lexus LF-A cruising in the carpool lane in traffic. Not enough room for him to let that engine sing but it still made my day. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OjjIouyLO3ai1B05KIrH0BnbeHIXv7aYSu5Syhfxb94ms7o3BReqjw8SrrmcsonK