Toyman01
Toyman01 UltimaDork
11/7/14 6:08 p.m.

I stopped by the local LKQ today with my son. While he was pulling the parts he needed, I walked the yard to see if they had anything interesting.

First up was a Thunderbird Super Coupe. Basically stripped to the shell. I forgot to shoot a picture of it.

Then in the back of the lot were these.

I always hate to see them. I wonder how many of them sat for years because the owner was going to restore them one day.

I did score this:

It's the furnace out of a mobile pet washing van. New, $1000+; used, $200-$400; LKQ, $25. They didn't have the foggiest idea what it was and took my offer. Works like a charm.

Will
Will SuperDork
11/7/14 6:28 p.m.

That 64-66 T-Bird still looks reasonably solid.

GVX19
GVX19 Reader
11/7/14 6:33 p.m.

What is it??!?!?!?

Opti
Opti Reader
11/7/14 6:47 p.m.

I like LKQ, Ive dealt with the same guy at my local LKQ as long as Ive been in the auto industsry. They have so mnay cars nationwide, that they have good stuff, and to them its just car part, so you can get most stuff for the less common car pretty reasonable.

Example going rate for a C5 cluster is 300-600 for a used on. Bezel alone is worth like 60-80 and the buttons are another 80. Bought a complete one from LKQ for 125 shipped. To them it was just a gauge cluster for a car

Toyman01
Toyman01 UltimaDork
11/7/14 6:51 p.m.
GVX19 wrote: What is it??!?!?!?

It's a propane furnace for a RV. I've been looking for a stupid cheap one for several years for a project.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
11/7/14 7:02 p.m.

I think I have some new controls for an RV propane furnace. My father bought them to install and then sold the RV. He asked me to put them on eBay and I forgot all about them. I'll have to see what I have.

dean1484
dean1484 UltimaDork
11/7/14 7:03 p.m.

Those cars in those photos are in better condition than many cars up here in the rust belt.

dean1484
dean1484 UltimaDork
11/7/14 7:04 p.m.

If that is a 65 t bird I had one exactly like it.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non HalfDork
11/7/14 7:31 p.m.

Those cars has no business being in the junkyard.

ncjay
ncjay Dork
11/7/14 7:39 p.m.

I've always figured someone could make a nice living buying these cars and getting them back on the road. That T-Bird should bring a nice price back in running condition, never mind fully restored. A tiny piece of me dies each time I see cars like this, knowing they are probably destined for the crusher.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
11/8/14 7:37 p.m.
ncjay wrote: I've always figured someone could make a nice living buying these cars and getting them back on the road. That T-Bird should bring a nice price back in running condition, never mind fully restored. A tiny piece of me dies each time I see cars like this, knowing they are probably destined for the crusher.

if the cars were that easy to save and if there was enough money in it, the junkyards would do it and sell them as runners.

windsordeluxe
windsordeluxe New Reader
11/9/14 8:02 a.m.

you don't need the thermostat sold by the RV parts dealer to control a Suburban Propane Heater. I hacked a Honeywell digital programmable thermostat to operate the furnace in my motorhome. it is overkill, but I had the thermostat sitting in a drawer after I installed the Nest in the house.

Toyman01
Toyman01 UltimaDork
11/9/14 8:11 a.m.

In reply to windsordeluxe:

I snagged the thermostat while I was there. It's nothing but a simple close on fall temperature switch.

Knurled
Knurled PowerDork
11/9/14 8:16 a.m.
novaderrik wrote: </cite if the cars were that easy to save and if there was enough money in it, the junkyards would do it and sell them as runners.

You've no idea how many perfectly good parts we scrap at work just because the space is more valuable NOW than any potential future earnings from maybe selling it later. And believe me it's difficult to stop myself from extracting things from the scrap pile Every so often we purge the stuff we do save because we figure if we had no use for the connectors from X wiring harness or whatever, we probably won't need it ever.

Junkyards are like that, too, with even more distancing from the products. It's all just metal. In the end it's a balance between potential income vs. time spent. Speaking to one local operator, he said that as a general rule, anything over five years old goes straight to the shredder unless it has some interesting value, then it stays for two weeks before being picked apart and then shredded. 80/20% ratio of insta-shred to making it to the yard. Sure, that's a nice MGB... but the previous owner didn't want it for some reason, and who has time to go over that when 30 more cars are coming in today?

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
11/9/14 8:36 a.m.

Can you even grasp the stuff that must've gotten shredded/scrapped/melted over the years?

I shudder to think.

It's like watching older WW2 movies where they burn and flip and otherwise destroy all that old military iron like MB's and Command Cars.

Or CHiPs, Quincy, Rockford Files, A-Team or Emergency! Where all those 60's, 70's and 80's land yachts are junked

Knurled
Knurled PowerDork
11/9/14 8:39 a.m.

Pushing planes off of carrier decks is the one that always gets me.

Toyman01
Toyman01 UltimaDork
11/9/14 12:10 p.m.

I hate to see them and always hope all the good is gotten off of them before the shredder get them. There are 6-8 of them just about every time I'm there. Tempting to find out what they want for them, but I definitely don't need another project.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 New Reader
11/10/14 8:22 a.m.

There is an Opel GT, two MGBs (one of which is a GT) a Triumph TR6, and an e23 BMW 745 Turbo in my local yard. It's painful to see. There's also a GTV6 in another nearby yard that popped up on here earlier. Unfortunately, my garage is already at capacity. :(

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
X5XSS0INGJYPxV6WS5FYhMQkpbFEp6xhbkSdRW3AwFTxYFiRbqVnFk6aC5xyM7Cn