1 2
Vajingo
Vajingo HalfDork
5/5/21 11:32 p.m.

Heard it on FB. I'm pissed. I'm not re-upping my sub if this is true. The one show I enjoyed on MTOD. Rant over. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
5/6/21 5:24 a.m.

There's been some really weird decisions with MTOD lately. Probably the most idiotic was that they cut off everyone outside the US. If you live in Europe or Australia, and they had a lot of fans there, you can no longer use MTOD. Not some weird software glitch either, it was an intentional conscious decision by Motor Trend.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
5/6/21 6:15 a.m.

Is moter trend owned by discovery?  

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
5/6/21 6:17 a.m.

And the answer is yes. I am betting that they are going to pull motertrend on demand and put it under the discovery on demand thing they have been pushing so much lately. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/6/21 6:33 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

For the most part, all of their "on line exclusive" stuff ends up on one of the cable channels.  Even the W-D stuff has eventually shown up on one of their days of all W-D.

The "streaming channel" thing is interesting- while there are a lot of people who are ditching cable to go full streaming, I wonder if it's really sustainable.  For people who have cable, who would really want to spend the extra money to stream stuff you get as part of your cable bill?

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/6/21 6:36 a.m.

Of course they did.  Not enough drama, wrench throwing or unattainable unrealistic dead lines.

Rocambolesque
Rocambolesque Reader
5/6/21 6:56 a.m.

Even the new Roadkill Garage season that just came out feels more staged and made for cable TV than before...

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltimaDork
5/6/21 7:07 a.m.

I enjoyed JYG but from the beginning I thought it was a super-niche show that was just shot as a way to maximize value while the crew was in an area for another shoot. That or a way to write off their junkyard trips. I don't think they ever expected it to last very long or go big. 

mtnbiker4evr13
mtnbiker4evr13 New Reader
5/6/21 8:02 a.m.
914Driver said:

Of course they did.  Not enough drama, wrench throwing or unattainable unrealistic dead lines.

"but... WE'LL LOSE THE SHOP!!!" Gotta love HRG though

#bringbackmonstergarage 

V6Buicks
V6Buicks Reader
5/6/21 8:24 a.m.

In reply to Rocambolesque :

I agree.  I was so excited only for the first episode to be the weakest ever.  All the tech and fun issues were cut out.  Lame.

It's time for me to go back to Youtube I guess because I don't even get my $5 worth out of MTOD.  Did anybody else here watch Roadkill Extra?  Canceling that was such a massive mistake.  I can't be alone in saying that Extras were what kept me in the app for extended periods of time.  Now I watch my one or two shows a month and that's it.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
5/6/21 8:50 a.m.

In reply to mtnbiker4evr13 :

I don't have time to wait for Scotty to look up whether these takata harnesses are real or reps, scrap metal is at an all-time high, this DC2 needs to be crushed before scrap goes down or we could lose out on some big money and even lose the yard. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
5/6/21 8:52 a.m.

Huh?

I guess I'm out in the garage while you guys are watching TV. wink

captainawesome
captainawesome Dork
5/6/21 9:02 a.m.

I canceled my subscription when the new Top Gear came out. I really wanted to like it, but nope. Before that they stopped posting anything worth a darn anymore and the RK suite of stuff was getting stale. Faster with Finnegan just seems like massive waste of time and money to make something almost worse than it started. Engine Masters was pretty good, but the lack of anything other than a v8 makes it hard to continue with new content. I miss Head 2 Head and Ignition most. The coverage for Driver Car of the Year got stripped back to snippets instead of actual episodes which stinks. HRG was one of the only shows that bridges gaps from all types of cars and tinkering, but on it's own not worth keeping the subscription. Really it just got bloated with the standard Discovery model shows unfortunately. The good news is that Hagerty is posting some really good content on Youtube now, so that's neat.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
5/6/21 9:44 a.m.
ultraclyde said:

I enjoyed JYG but from the beginning I thought it was a super-niche show that was just shot as a way to maximize value while the crew was in an area for another shoot. That or a way to write off their junkyard trips. I don't think they ever expected it to last very long or go big. 

It was either the episode with the 390/4-speed '64 Galaxie or the episode with the '70 GT-37 where Freiburger basically stated that the ulterior motive of Junkyard Gold was for Magnante to go scope out cars that he and Finn could potentially rescue. 

newrider3
newrider3 Reader
5/6/21 9:45 a.m.
mtnbiker4evr13 said:

#bringbackmonstergarage 

Well... they did. But of course, only available on Discovery Plus, not MotorTrend OnDemand. I'm not buying yet another berkeleying subscription. 

Vajingo
Vajingo HalfDork
5/6/21 9:48 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

And that was a great idea. Logistically, and it created content that went on to become my favorite MTOD show. I have now heard rumors of Steve magnante doing his old show again, junkyard crawl. Hoping for a similar show. The nitty gritty details. Also hoping that, without MTOD shouting at him "v8 cars only", he can spend some time on other cars that are of interest. Steve is a walking library or knowledge. I want him to share it like a Bob Ross painting. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/6/21 9:52 a.m.

Sad, I liked that show. I could see it being niche though. More history than anything else.

HRG, Engine Masters, Roadkill and Roadkill Garage carry it. I even enjoy Faster with Finnegan. The rest is pretty awful.

Vajingo
Vajingo HalfDork
5/6/21 9:58 a.m.
tuna55 said:

Sad, I liked that show. I could see it being niche though. More history than anything else.

HRG, Engine Masters, Roadkill and Roadkill Garage carry it. I even enjoy Faster with Finnegan. The rest is pretty awful.

Definitely. When MTOD went about acquiring all the other shows I rolled my eyes and braced for the subscription hike to pay for all the trash "pimp my ride" programs. 
I don't even click anywhere else on the MTOD page except "originals". 

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
5/6/21 10:34 a.m.

This just seems another branch of the "how do we extract the maximum amount of money from viewers each month?", and hope we don't notice. I first noticed it on Amazon Prime, where I'm already paying $120 a year for "free" shipping, but also get access to video. Now, if I want to watch anything other that B-grade movies, I find that my $120 just gets me an offer to pay more money to see what I want.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
5/6/21 10:37 a.m.

Dirt Every Day is my favorite show. Even when they're doing something ridiculous, I always learn something. 

I really loved Dirt Every Day Extra and Roadkill Extra. Lots of good info on those and I watched them all. I really miss them. 

Vajingo
Vajingo HalfDork
5/6/21 10:50 a.m.

In reply to kb58 :

Might be why this forum does so well. They keep everything grassroots. When anything that is grassroots hits critical mass, it goes down the poop hole. All famous things were great before being famous. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/6/21 12:04 p.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

Dirt Every Day is my favorite show. Even when they're doing something ridiculous, I always learn something. 

I really loved Dirt Every Day Extra and Roadkill Extra. Lots of good info on those and I watched them all. I really miss them. 

I forgot to mention DeD in my notes. Those guys are the best.

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
5/6/21 12:30 p.m.

That's a shame, I liked junkyard garage.  The rest of the roadkill franchise has continued to get more polished/commercial...MT On demand (watched via Roku) is still the best option for commercial-free content for me.  At $2/month it's pretty cheap.  Even youtube gets crowded w/commercials these days, so options are pretty limited.

EDIT: Go watch Steve Magnante's work-from-home video where he talks about his model car collection.  Really impressive stuff (for a non-model car officianato.  I didn't realize modifying model cars to get a certain custom, gasser, or funny car look was a thing. 

pirate
pirate HalfDork
5/6/21 2:11 p.m.

I'm watching less TV/Video now then anytime in the past. There are days when the only time the TV gets turned on is for the local news. I just can't watch some of the car shows at all. There are so many commercials, then after the commercial they go back and recap the previous minute or so before going to commercial. There is very little new content in a episode, couple that with all the fake drama and it not worth it for me. Then a lot of the shows have a "new product" segment which is a commercial in itself  and repeat the same products every week. I find I'm much happier reading, working on my cars out in the shop or looking at things I want to on the internet. Even the best of car shows somehow fall victim to their content being reduced to the least common denominator of their viewers. 

Vajingo
Vajingo HalfDork
5/6/21 3:44 p.m.

In reply to pirate :

I very much agree with this man. It is ridiculous the amount of ads you are subjected to on YouTube. It's enough to make you stop watching things all together

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6OEkIdT15pgFHt3x1MMsNwyPIekCP79yeR27vdL7Q9Db30TwqNG9ClSyqwzPp4gT