1 2
crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
5/6/21 6:28 p.m.

Can somebody explain the logic of banning content in certain countries? I've seen several companies do that (content not available in this country) and I don't know why. I'm sure there is a reason but on the surface it seems like just missing out on money. 

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and MegaDork
5/6/21 7:01 p.m.

In reply to crankwalk (Forum Supporter) :

Probably corporate deals at the international level or government compliance at the international level. 

Vajingo
Vajingo HalfDork
5/6/21 8:06 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 + Sized and :

For some things it's definitely government compliance. Believe it or not, There are English words that we can't say in other countries. My cat's name is Kiki. Can't say that in Malaysia area. It's a vulgar word for vagina. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr PowerDork
5/6/21 10:19 p.m.

I like the regular content on mtod.  However, the thing that clinches it for me is all of the races that are on there.  I think it might be the only place to see Australian supercars.   I like the touring car coverage as well.  Good stuff!

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
5/7/21 6:31 a.m.
Vajingo said:

In reply to pirate :

I very much agree with this man. It is ridiculous the amount of ads you are subjected to on YouTube. It's enough to make you stop watching things all together

I watch a lot of YouTube. Some of the best content is on there nowadays.

There is a subscription option (of course) to get rid of the ads. We did it for Hulu and it is worth the money. I've been able to tolerate it on YT so far. While some of it is YT's fault, the embedded ads are usually to be blamed on the content creators. When they choose to monetize they can decide where in the video and how many ads get placed. Most creators don't go overboard with the ads but some do, and I generally won't subscribe to the latter's channels.

More annoying are the product pitches within the videos. Junkyard Digs does this sometimes and it's really grating. I get it; you're making your living off of YT and if someone wants to give you money to blather on for 60 seconds about their product it's hard to refuse. But still...

All of it is far more tolerable than the endless commercial breaks on 'regular' TV. Which I pretty much never watch anymore. Between YT, Hulu and Prime I find plenty to watch. Netflix exists only so I can watch Ozark. smiley

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
5/7/21 8:08 a.m.
ddavidv said:
...itches within the videos. Junkyard Digs does this sometimes and it's really grating. I get it; you're making your living off of YT and if someone wants to give you money to blather on for 60 seconds about their product it's hard to refuse. But still...

I finally found irrefutable proof for the existence of the human soul. Watching a video from someone I thought highly of (past tense) blather on about a product that no one watching cares about, I clearly saw the light go out of his eyes, replaced by dollar signs.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
5/7/21 8:09 a.m.
Vajingo said:

In reply to kb58 :

All famous things were great before being famous. 

Quote of the week. Things AND people.

captainawesome
captainawesome Dork
5/7/21 8:31 a.m.

You can run a program called Ghostery or similar to get rid of Youtube ads. Not sure if this is Firefox specific or not, but there are plenty of options. No cost involved and the only ads I see now are the presenter throwing it in the first 2 minutes of a video. I just manually skip the ad jargon and watch the content I came to see.

Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter)
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
5/7/21 10:12 a.m.
NickD said:

There's been some really weird decisions with MTOD lately. Probably the most idiotic was that they cut off everyone outside the US. If you live in Europe or Australia, and they had a lot of fans there, you can no longer use MTOD. Not some weird software glitch either, it was an intentional conscious decision by Motor Trend.

Maaaan, you scared the carp out of me...  I called home to Mrs. Hun, MTOD works for us (no IP hider).

I am bummed about Junkyard Gold though.  I kinda always knew it was going to happen, so I kind of made it a point to re-watch the episodes on a semi-regular basis (trying to inflate the number of views a bit).  I could tell that Steve was REALLY into what he was doing, and it was cool seeing him get excited about simple stuff I would have never known nuthin about.

Vajingo
Vajingo HalfDork
5/7/21 10:27 a.m.

In reply to Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) :

I did the same thing. Went back and Binged the first season last night, just to rub it in whoever's face it is that sunk the show. 

Ndotym1360
Ndotym1360
10/17/21 6:34 a.m.

Motor trend you've removed one of the shows why

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
10/17/21 6:40 a.m.

^Canoe is bumming me out all over again.sad

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
10/17/21 7:59 a.m.

The irony is they bumped a thread complaining about advertising with advertising.  

wawazat
wawazat Dork
10/17/21 4:55 p.m.

If I stumble across an episode of Hot Rod Garage on cable I'll watch it.  Same with RK or Faster with Finnegan. I can't justify paying for the channel though. 

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
10/18/21 6:19 a.m.

BTW Steve Magnante has his own YT channel now and is doing short junkyard crawl videos.

wheels777
wheels777 UltraDork
10/18/21 7:06 a.m.

JYG was a favorite

Junghole
Junghole SuperDork
10/18/21 11:38 a.m.
ddavidv said:

BTW Steve Magnante has his own YT channel now and is doing short junkyard crawl videos.

That YouTube channel is actually pretty old, and came out before junkyard gold. I have heard that he's going to go back to the junkyard crawl into some more episodes though, so I am looking forward to future releases of new episodes

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
10/18/21 9:38 p.m.

I don't know if it's the same channel but there are dozens of new videos on it now. He's also live with Uncle Tony's Garage about once a month (Sunday nights).

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3XtqvWP7eFfKZ53cH8FozHsJYlOb67l6Df9xEXna9SAaPimaccCaIHrk4kE2YRkL