1 2 3
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
6/4/21 9:56 a.m.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/40921/jay-leno-confirms-tesla-model-s-plaid-set-a-production-car-quarter-mile-record

Telsa's cars have been famous for their straight-line acceleration ever since Ludicrous Mode dropped so many years ago. Recently, unconfirmed reports suggested the electric automaker may have secured the quarter mile record for production cars at a recent test of the Model S Plaid in California.  With little more to go on than the word of an anonymous source, one could be forgiven for holding a skeptical view of the claim. It seems that Jay Leno has put that speculation to rest, though, claiming to have made a record-breaking pass in the car himself in a phone call to Spike's Car Radio, reports Tesmanian.

Reports of the record attempt first dropped in mid-May, with Drive Tesla Canada citing a confidential source who claimed to be on site for the attempt. Occurring at Auto Club Famoso Raceway in Bakersfield, California, the informant quoted the Tesla Model S Plaid as laying down a 9.23 second pass with a trap speed of 152.16 miles per hour. They also noted that Jay Leno was in attendance, and that the famous Tonight Show host set a 9.50 second pass, albeit with two passengers on board. 

Leno himself shared his account after phoning in to Spike's Car Radio, a podcast that speaks broadly on automotive topics. "I tell ya what I did, I went up to Famoso Dragway in Bakersfield, in a Tesla Plaid. I made one pass, I drove up, had the NHRA guys there to make it official," Leno told Spike Feresten, host of the podcast. "I turned a 9.247 at 152 miles an hour." A link to the podcast is embedded below; Leno begins discussing the Tesla run at 13:50 in. 

Leno's retelling lines up with the previous account in key areas, namely that the record was set at Auto Club Famoso Raceway and that he himself was present. Notably, he doesn't claim that his time was a record, which is an important detail given the prior numbers quoted were marginally quicker than Leno's time—9.23 seconds versus 9.24, and a trap speed of 152.16 mph versus 152.09. While Leno claims to have only made one pass, it's likely that he was referring to a pass aiming at the record, as a slower run with passengers wouldn't set a competitive time. 

The National Hot Rod Association haven't yet spoken as to whether the Tesla Model S Plaid has bested the record, currently held by the Bugatti Chiron Super Sport at 9.4 seconds. However, given Leno's standing in the car community and reputation, his word can likely be counted as truth when it comes to his own timeslips. It's expected that Tesla will announce the time officially when the first Model S Plaid is delivered on June 10. Notably, the company have updated their Model S page on the Tesla site, quoting a 9.23 second quarter mile time with a 155 mph trap speed.

Further supporting the story is an anonymous source that contacted The Drive by email following the initial post, who stated "I’ve seen video and spoken to someone who was at the Tesla Plaid test in Bakersfield and the number in the story y’all published today is legitimate. Leno was there as were two Tesla supplied drivers. The head of design from Tesla was also there." Expanding on the run, the source said "It’s not any different than what you’ve seen a 3 or, frankly, one of those eCopo Camaros look or sound like. Lots of tire noise and, unlike the Camaro, it looks like a piece of cake to drive."

It seems that Tesla may have the crown for now, though competition is always waiting in the wings. With that said, competitor Lucid have only quoted a quarter mile time of 9.9 seconds for the 2021 Lucid Air, with a prototype only going a touch quicker at 9.245 seconds down the strip. It could be some time until the record falls again; Bugatti held the title from 2018, after all. With the Tesla Roadster still under development, though, the electric automaker may still have some trump cards up its sleeve.

This makes me seriously wonder where we'll be in 5 years. You know the other EV companies aren't going to just let Tesla keep this record.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
6/4/21 10:12 a.m.

The insane thing is, that in spite of some questionable build quality aspects, this is in essentially a luxury car. 

Wth regards to improvements to be found in 5 years, as for straight line speed and raw power, I don't need anymore. What's already available in (more than) enough. Charging speed is all that matters and when we're nearing and/or to the point that you can get 200-250 miles of range via charging for 15-20 minutes. Then all that's left is to continue to expand the charging network. If you can get me 300-400 miles of range in 15-20 minutes, even better. 

And not the side track or derail the thread, but the expansion of the charging network is going to come quickly. As EVs are currently at least owned by persons of means with discretionary disposable income. Meaning if I have a place of business with a charging station and I can attract EV owners to outside of my business where they will be for 15 to 20 minutes, then I have attracted a higher end clientele. I have been pushing for us to add four Tesla superchargers at the brewery, the other owners do not see the benefit and that's in spite of one of them being the owner of a roughly 2 year old Leaf. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/4/21 10:25 a.m.

Captain, are you talking Superchargers or destination chargers? The latter are a whole lot easier and more likely for a business. Around here, we're definitely seeing that sort of thinking - put in a destination charger (basically Level 2, so it could be a more universal Level 2) to attract EV customers.  That's exactly what KJW Distillers in Ouray have done, and when we were taking a trip to Ouray last year we had it on our list of places to stop in if we needed a bit of juice. Hotels have had it figured for a while.

Superchargers are all owned by Tesla, I think. They require a fairly hefty electrical infrastructure. It's worth contacting them to ask. You could also look at Electrify America or EvGo as they're more universal and I'm not sure they have as strong an overall plan and thus might be a little more flexible.

Other manufacturers will continue to chase the acceleration records because it's basically a side effect of traction control and battery size. And it's good bragging rights even if anything faster than 12s is basically "as fast as you'll ever be able to use". Kinda like Nurburging lap times.

mdshaw
mdshaw Reader
6/4/21 10:38 a.m.

Captain, Where is your brewery? Are you part of Harvest Hosts? We're always looking for more places to park for the night on our travels. Would be cool to stop by if you have enough parking space.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/4/21 10:42 a.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:You know the other EV companies aren't going to just let Tesla keep this record.

Are you sure?  It only took Porsche almost ten years to market a car that is as fast as the Tesla model S, and it sells for twice the price.  Is anybody with the resources to be a mainstream player even trying?

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UberDork
6/4/21 11:03 a.m.
1988RedT2 said:
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:You know the other EV companies aren't going to just let Tesla keep this record.

Are you sure?  It only took Porsche almost ten years to market a car that is as fast as the Tesla model S, and it sells for twice the price.

Well, zat is ze Germans doing ze German things.  For the most part these large companies are lumbering beasts that take a large amount of time to move in a new direction, but when they do they get going.  Ford showcased the basis for the Lightning in 2019 and ordering for that will begin in fall of this year.

Once the others actually decide to get into this, it'll be a brand new era of horsepower wars.

6/4/21 11:05 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

We were considering either. We're in a bit of a charging desert, there are chargers about 3 mi away in two directions. However three blocks from us there is a farmers market on Saturday mornings, which one attending the number of EVs that I see at least 10 if I stick around for longer than a half hour. 

There are some serious disagreements going on amongst brewery ownership regarding capital investments and where and what direction to make them. Having been a consultant on the professional side previously, I will likely be selling my stakes soon to remaining ownership and remaining close to them, but from a business and profitability side some of the directions that they want to take make no financial sense. My decision is strictly business (and doesn't have to do with EV charging, which I think is absolutely beneficial, but isn't a hill that I'd die one) thusly I'll save that for another thread. 

We're in the Waverly neighborhood of Baltimore. We're on an island a bit between Remington, Charles St and Lauraville/Hamilton. There's redevelopment going on along 33rd street, but so far nothing business redevelopment wise that walkable to us.  

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
6/4/21 11:07 a.m.

I'd have to believe tire tech wouldn't allow for too much faster.... unless we're going to start putting 4 wrinkle walls on them. 

STM317
STM317 UberDork
6/4/21 11:10 a.m.
1988RedT2 said:

Are you sure?  It only took Porsche almost ten years to market a car that is as fast as the Tesla model S, and it sells for twice the price.  Is anybody with the resources to be a mainstream player even trying?

It took 10 years for it to make financial sense for Porsche to enter the market. It's not like they were trying and failing. As $/kWh continues to fall, EVs become more and more financially viable for the established companies.

Starting next year Kia will sell an affordable EV that does 0-60 in 3.5. I think that's more representative of what the future holds where pedestrian stuff gets really quick (kind of how minivans and entry level pony cars have 300+HP now) rather than the fastest of the fast which will become tire limited at some point. Not sure everything will be runnin sub 3 sec 0-60s, but I think sub 4 sec will be really commonplace.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/4/21 11:12 a.m.
1988RedT2 said:

Remember the 1800 "HP" lotus that isn't even as fast as the old Tesla family sedan?

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
6/4/21 11:15 a.m.
Saron81 said:

I'd have to believe tire tech wouldn't allow for too much faster.... unless we're going to start putting 4 wrinkle walls on them. 

What is a car's max decel rate with ABS? then pretend that is a flat acceleration and calculate the 1/4 mile time with that and I bet you'd find your "ideal" 1/4 time on street tires.   

6/4/21 11:16 a.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

I believe that you will see the mainstream players all get involved in a big way. And several of  them proclaiming that they're stopping internal combustion engine development is already highlighting that. 

There are three aspects that create prestige or sex appeal in vehicles (outside of styling which is subjective). Performance, luxury and being green. Most people when they think of performance think either straight line or top speed (we're not most people on here, we're the niche that cares about handling). An EV platform allows for all 3 aspects to be had in a single vehicle. The reason why the F-150 lightning is such a big deal is because of the fact that most luxury vehicles sold in the lower 48 are in fact pickup trucks. I don't believe that ever manufacturer is going to chase sub 3 second 0 to 60 times or sub 11 second ETs, but I do think that most will have an EV offering that does 0 to 60 in the 5-second range and runs around a 13-second quarter mile within the next three to seven years. And if they don't, they're operating under the fallacy that they want to protect a current Halo vehicle and perceive that they will be deteriorating their brand if they build an EV that has greater straight line speed potential. Doing so would be cutting off their nose to spite their face. I don't know for sure that any manufacturer is doing or thinking along these lines, but I find it suspect that GM isn't in development of an EV monster. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
6/4/21 11:22 a.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:
Saron81 said:

What is a car's max decel rate with ABS? then pretend that is a flat acceleration and calculate the 1/4 mile time with that and I bet you'd find your "ideal" 1/4 time on street tires.   

some quick googling shows a 1/4 falling off a building (1G) to take almost 9 seconds exactly. Good car on solid street tires seem to be able to pull about 1.2 out of the brakes, which means an 8 second 1/4 should be possible. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UberDork
6/4/21 11:27 a.m.
STM317 said:

Starting next year Kia will sell an affordable EV that does 0-60 in 3.5. I think that's more representative of what the future holds where pedestrian stuff gets really quick (kind of how minivans and entry level pony cars have 300+HP now) rather than the fastest of the fast which will become tire limited at some point. Not sure everything will be runnin sub 3 sec 0-60s, but I think sub 4 sec will be really commonplace.

This is a great point I thought about getting into above.  0-60 and 1/4 mile times are for flagship cars.  No company makes money on their flagship cars.  People want to know what load they can carry, how many kids and dogs fit in the back of the thing, how far they can get between recharging/how fast they can recharge, stuff like that.  Once companies start making money on the beans and potatoes they'll start cooking the steak.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/4/21 11:35 a.m.

In reply to captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

GM's EV monster is called the Hummer :)

Want to run your new street Tesla in an NHRA event? Here's what you need!

9.99 seconds (6.39 1/8th) or Super Gas or 135 mph
NHRA Chassis Certification
NHRA Competition License
SFI jacket & pants 3.2A/5
SFI neck collar & gloves 3.3/1
SFI 29.1 flexplate / 30.1 flexplate shield (AT equipped cars)
Full Face Helmet meeting Snell or SFI specifications

150 mph
Parachute

I really, really, really want to see a parachute in the Telsa optional equipment for this car. How's that for marketing?

6/4/21 11:45 a.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Those flagships usually came at the expense of efficiency or luxury to get that straight line performance. You either had to make 600+ HP and drink fuel or cut out creature comforts in order to save weight. That's no longer the case with EVs, that can be presented in a have your cake (speed) and eat it too (luxury and/or utility). The only thing that really loses out, for now, and will be the last thing that technology addresses and will remain the most expensive aspect as it is created, is lightweight for agility. Battery tech will get there, but it won't be cheap as it does. In the meantime wider, stickier rubber helps with handling and the cost of wider stickier rubber is offset by lower operating cost. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
6/4/21 11:50 a.m.
1988RedT2 said:

The Porsche is a much nicer place to sit, touch, drive, service and it fits the needs and wants of the usual Porsche buyer. Porsche does not do product testing with cars sold to live customers its just not their way. Even the 918 was pulled back from what the engineers could do a the time.  I think a lot of the major players are timing this right with the new electric stuff being launched. Even my i3 was still a partial solution from BMW when I had it. 

STM317
STM317 UberDork
6/4/21 11:50 a.m.
Saron81 said:

some quick googling shows a 1/4 falling off a building (1G) to take almost 9 seconds exactly. Good car on solid street tires seem to be able to pull about 1.2 out of the brakes, which means an 8 second 1/4 should be possible. 

You might be right. The new Rimac runs mid 8s and makes the latest and greatest 1000hp Ferrari hybrid look slow:

Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
6/4/21 12:00 p.m.

The more impressive the numbers get, the more they leave me cold... It's an odd feeling.

Shadeux
Shadeux Dork
6/4/21 12:14 p.m.

Not that the bread and butter consumer market are going to have numbers like these, but I see a limitation on how quick they can accelerate just for the comfort of the average consumer. I'm reminded of Cadillac "detuning" the V series because some buyers complained they were too fast. I've met Boomer Zo6 owners that switched to a regular Corvette because the Zo6 was just too much to deal with. The average person juggling their cellphone and latte is suddenly pinned against their seat and they have no idea whats happening and by then they've driven through the whole damn Winn-Dixie.

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and MegaDork
6/4/21 12:16 p.m.
Driven5 said:

The more impressive the numbers get, the more they leave me cold... It's an odd feeling.

Quoted for truth. 

Give me a basic truck that can do an 8-10 second 0-60, has a 500+ mile range, and can tow 5000 pounds 250 miles, for under $40k. Then we can talk. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/4/21 12:24 p.m.
Toyman01 + Sized and said:
Driven5 said:

Quoted for truth. 

Give me a basic truck that can do an 8-10 second 0-60, has a 500+ mile range, and can tow 5000 pounds 250 miles, for under $40k. Then we can talk. 

Can you get that today regardless of fuel? The 2WD F150 is close but with a 23 gallon tank I don't think it'll hit your towing range requirement.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
6/4/21 12:37 p.m.
Driven5 said:

Yeah, I'm kinda with you. The technical feat of making a big luxury sedan that quick is impressive, but at some point, the numbers become irrelevant. It becomes a question of "How fast is fast enough". Maybe I'm getting old, but I can't imagine even WANTING that kind of acceleration in my street car. I'd get sick to my stomach.

Rigante
Rigante New Reader
6/4/21 12:42 p.m.

I'm thinking of changing to Tesla power in my build, the range puts me off, motors are pretty cheap but batteries are still a lot, but then you have so many less parts to install and the future servicing is so much cheaper.  This whole rear cradle is self contained and has a 350-400bhp motor. 

Tesla 3 rear cradle on youtube

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
6/4/21 12:56 p.m.
Shadeux said:

Not that the bread and butter consumer market are going to have numbers like these, but I see a limitation on how quick they can accelerate just for the comfort of the average consumer. I'm reminded of Cadillac "detuning" the V series because some buyers complained they were too fast. I've met Boomer Zo6 owners that switched to a regular Corvette because the Zo6 was just too much to deal with. The average person juggling their cellphone and latte is suddenly pinned against their seat and they have no idea whats happening and by then they've driven through the whole damn Winn-Dixie.

People always buy what they want and don't need and get buyers remorse. The Z06 is the king of that because its just streetable you think you can deal with it and 70 days later when the newness is gone you know you should have bought the Grand Sport.

The cars that sit in the intersection always feel like this. Like the 911GTS, just buy a base car, Turbo or GT3 really the other options are just mid points that don't meet most peoples needs except pricing. 

Also 9.2 is way way way to fast to be going in a car that is not caged. I know that the software would keep it pointed in a straight line but whats the point then. All they need is to use the cameras to launch perfectly off the tree every single time and you are just a passenger. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bYQsSds8BtAFGewDDzY69Nwp7X7iawW9t4J1XQaRsH0OLWCfEC3xpfwR9bTllmQF