1 2 3
Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
6/9/17 7:55 p.m.

I don't think the 996 will be a collectible, either, because it has no endearing values. It was Porsche's first attempt at a rear engined appliance.

When it appreciates in value, it will do so because everything's value curve is hyperbolic and not asymptotic. Hell, Chevy Vegas have appreciated in value. Yugos have appreciated in value, and they were so E36 M3boxy that the people who were assembling them were laughing at how bad they were at car-ing.

Rufledt
Rufledt UberDork
6/9/17 8:28 p.m.

So if they stay (relatively) worthless, does that mean they can be scooped up and turned into gutted track cars without a second thought? Stage rally 911, anyone?

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller Reader
6/10/17 6:20 a.m.

As far as his beliefs that the 996 won't be collectable, he may be correct. I don't care. But I don't buy cars as investments I buy them for enjoyment. I think he's too harsh on the 914.

Back in the 80s I bought my 914 to get time at the local track. It was cheap buy in. Fast enough compared to the cars of the 80s and handled better, with some suspension changes, than most 80s cars. It's still a blast to drive and holds its own at an autocross just not with me driving it. It's the same reason I have a Miata. I'm not going to sell it to pay for my retirement but it clicks all the right boxes.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/10/17 10:07 a.m.

I chatted with Peter Egan last weekend at the Moss Motorfest. He seems to be doing well and enjoying semi-retirement.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ToRF3rYbsXOCpXVkjUvY9W030TsjlKMjI2K5CmlxmIJq7TJNzSzD6TeBPD0rFlI5