AAZCD
AAZCD HalfDork
4/3/20 11:31 p.m.
captainawesome said:

Yes to pint glasses. I can imagine shipping glass can be a pain though.

One individual can order/buy an order of glasses with donated money, then sell them as a fundraiser. Shipping would be some work, but it could double the initial donation with the proceeds. Coffee mug, Pint glass - either would be cool. Permission to use the logo for a limited run or use an 'off-logo' design. I'll have extra money again next Friday and I'd buy a pair or donate as long as there's not a Miata on it.  wink

Unofficial, I'm thinking: 'New Year Game' meets Seth T-Shirts, fundraiser type thing done by fans, not official GRM.

Example... https://www.discountmugs.com/

oldopelguy (Forum Supporter)
oldopelguy (Forum Supporter) UberDork
4/3/20 11:46 p.m.

I'd by a set of filter word glasses. 

I'll be drinking out of the e36 m3 glass though, you get stuck with the berkeley one.

 

Brett_Murphy (Forum Supporter)
Brett_Murphy (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/4/20 1:52 a.m.

100% in for pint glasses. I drink everything out of them.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
4/4/20 8:27 a.m.

You know what I have been looking for, for a while, that I would totally buy?

 

Remember in the 90s (at least), it was common to have college/university stickers in your car's back window?

 

I have been looking for a UC Berkeley one forever.  There may be rights issues with that, though.

 

(I had "Cardassian Military Scool" in my Subaru.  A decade later, I bought my Golf from someone who had "Starfleet Academy" on it)

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
4/4/20 9:10 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

You know what I have been looking for, for a while, that I would totally buy?

 

Remember in the 90s (at least), it was common to have college/university stickers in your car's back window?

 

I have been looking for a UC Berkeley one forever.  There may be rights issues with that, though.

 

(I had "Cardassian Military Scool" in my Subaru.  A decade later, I bought my Golf from someone who had "Starfleet Academy" on it)

I could go for a "Berkeley this E36 M3" window sticker.

AAZCD
AAZCD HalfDork
4/4/20 10:13 a.m.

"Berkeley this E36 M3" ...What's the graphic going to be on that T-Shirt and how much $ for two stickers and a short-sleeve?

Which reputable, currently unemployed, SuperUltraUberDork wants to gather donations, and organize the mailing?

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/4/20 10:17 a.m.
eastsideTim said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

You know what I have been looking for, for a while, that I would totally buy?

 

Remember in the 90s (at least), it was common to have college/university stickers in your car's back window?

 

I have been looking for a UC Berkeley one forever.  There may be rights issues with that, though.

 

(I had "Cardassian Military Scool" in my Subaru.  A decade later, I bought my Golf from someone who had "Starfleet Academy" on it)

I could go for a "Berkeley this E36 M3" window sticker.

This must happen!

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/4/20 10:41 a.m.

I started to initiate a new topic with some thoughts that I had this morning. I changed my mind and decided to post it here since the Suddards and GRM leadership have been active in this discussion. 

It's great that we've had the opportunity to bump the cash flow for GRM.

We have to be realistic, though. I'm sure it's a minor bump, and there's got to be a big difference between income and expenses once a lot of the magazine and website advertisers drop out.

I'm wondering if this site generates enough traffic to be able to sell more general type advertising.

I'm thinking of ads for consumer products that aren't directly related to our hobby. Perhaps snack foods, beverages, etc. Political ads would probably be a minefield, though.

As awful as the click bait ads are (you won't believe what she did next when she ate the five foods you should eat every morning that you should never feed your dog), even CNN has them on their web pages. These things generate revenue, and revenue is what this company needs right now.

One of my biggest concerns about this would be the potential for negative reactions from the forum membership.

While I would prefer not to see the forum diluted with clickbait ads, or more advertising in general, we are talking about GRM's survival here. 

The forum membership, and subscribers to the magazines need to be prepared for changes that we may not like, and to remind ourselves that hard times require hard choices. 

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
4/4/20 2:05 p.m.

In reply to AAZCD :

Double bonus if the "well that didn't take long" is on the bottom of the pint glass, with GRM logo on the side. 

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
4/4/20 2:07 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

I see that idea and raise it with a 

"Berkeleying Dork" window sticker idea

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS Dork
4/4/20 3:03 p.m.

I recommend a GRM bucket hat folks.  I use mine alot at the race tracks and outside yard work.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
4/4/20 3:43 p.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

you won't believe what she did next when she ate the five foods you should eat every morning that you should never feed your dog

Well?  What happened?  Tell me about the berking golf shoes! 

The0retical (Forum Supporter)
The0retical (Forum Supporter) UberDork
4/4/20 6:02 p.m.
eastsideTim said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

You know what I have been looking for, for a while, that I would totally buy?

 

Remember in the 90s (at least), it was common to have college/university stickers in your car's back window?

 

I have been looking for a UC Berkeley one forever.  There may be rights issues with that, though.

 

(I had "Cardassian Military Scool" in my Subaru.  A decade later, I bought my Golf from someone who had "Starfleet Academy" on it)

I could go for a "Berkeley this E36 M3" window sticker.

Someone make this happen.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/4/20 6:41 p.m.
The0retical (Forum Supporter) said:
eastsideTim said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

You know what I have been looking for, for a while, that I would totally buy?

 

Remember in the 90s (at least), it was common to have college/university stickers in your car's back window?

 

I have been looking for a UC Berkeley one forever.  There may be rights issues with that, though.

 

(I had "Cardassian Military Scool" in my Subaru.  A decade later, I bought my Golf from someone who had "Starfleet Academy" on it)

I could go for a "Berkeley this E36 M3" window sticker.

Someone make this happen.

I'm thinking windshield banner with a GRM logo at the end.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/4/20 7:43 p.m.

Ordered some hats today

wake74
wake74 New Reader
4/4/20 8:06 p.m.

Heck, if my wife can prepay for future haircuts to help her stylist, the least I can do is re-up early, and buy some swag.   How can haircuts cost that much, I have no idea.  I can tell by the credit card notification when she's just gone in for maintenance, and when she's in for the full overhaul :-)

And I noticed I just passed 10 years as a subscriber, man I'm getting old.  Mostly just a lurker on the forum, but love the magazines.  Keep up the great work!

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
4/4/20 9:42 p.m.

OK finally got online and subscribed to both publications. (I did uncheck the auto renewal though.......professional habit as a contracts guy).

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
4/5/20 12:32 a.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

I started to initiate a new topic with some thoughts that I had this morning. I changed my mind and decided to post it here since the Suddards and GRM leadership have been active in this discussion. 

It's great that we've had the opportunity to bump the cash flow for GRM.

We have to be realistic, though. I'm sure it's a minor bump, and there's got to be a big difference between income and expenses once a lot of the magazine and website advertisers drop out.

I'm wondering if this site generates enough traffic to be able to sell more general type advertising.

I'm thinking of ads for consumer products that aren't directly related to our hobby. Perhaps snack foods, beverages, etc. Political ads would probably be a minefield, though.

As awful as the click bait ads are (you won't believe what she did next when she ate the five foods you should eat every morning that you should never feed your dog), even CNN has them on their web pages. These things generate revenue, and revenue is what this company needs right now.

One of my biggest concerns about this would be the potential for negative reactions from the forum membership.

While I would prefer not to see the forum diluted with clickbait ads, or more advertising in general, we are talking about GRM's survival here. 

The forum membership, and subscribers to the magazines need to be prepared for changes that we may not like, and to remind ourselves that hard times require hard choices. 

The money you guys are sending in is not the difference between living and dieing for us... at the moment. Every day is a new day, though. In two more issues we may be faced with far more harsher realities than we currently are.

Your $$$upport does a few things, though, in addition to taking the edge off the general bilpaying, which we could definitely use right now. First, it dopes something we've had plans for for years but never the impetus to make it exist. That being the "GRM Fanclub" or some such name. Basically a gate-kept area for supporters to have easier access to legacy content, club only content, first crack at event tickets, exclusive behind the scenes content, easy staff access, and more. Now we're been kind of forded into making it a reality, so don't be surprised if everyone who agreed to be a forum supporter get drafter into a focus group at some point.

The other thing it does is it shows our advertisers what a dedicated, engaged fan base we have. Advertisers don't like casual eyeballs. They'd rather spend more money on fewer, higher quality impressions. And we respect the hell out of that by trying to gatekeep stupid crap off the ad roles. So no whistling mufflers or underhood neon. Just the cool stuff. 

So, yeah, if you signed up to be a forum suporter, be patient. There's certainly more coming for you than just that forum title and smug satisfaction.

And this is also a great time to post on your favorite advertisers social media and thank them for keeping us in the ad mix. That means a TONNN to both them and us. You have no idea. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
4/5/20 7:38 a.m.

Trufax:  I am granting GRM $25 a month.

 

More trufax:  This is way less than 1% what I take home every month after Caesar's due.

 

I feel a little bad because GRM's very existence is more than 1% of what gets me through the day.

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Dork
4/5/20 10:25 a.m.

Pint glasses would be neat. More shirt options would be amazing. Wish I could put more towards the forum but with a tater tot on the way my options are limited. $4.69/month it is. No clue if the email I used is the one I use here though

Hasbro (Forum Supporter)
Hasbro (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/5/20 10:51 a.m.

I'm really slammed with work lately (not complaining) so not sure if this has been brought up. What about a group of us chipping in and placing an ad in the mag to show advertisers our support? The size of the ad would be determined by the donation amount.

russde (Forum Supporter)
russde (Forum Supporter) Reader
4/5/20 4:35 p.m.
JG Pasterjak : smug satisfaction.
 

How did JG know I'm feeling smug?

Uncle David
Uncle David None
4/5/20 4:54 p.m.

Um, Hi.  I'm new.  Well actually, I'm (a lot) closer to old, but I'm new here.  I've been lurking for a looong time. I've been enjoying the generally mature, low drama, adult behavior (for a public internet forum, and yes, I'm serious), broad acceptance of all things automotive, and in depth knowledge of obscure automotive and other topics.  Felt guilty, sent money, and created an account, in that order.  I might even do a real post sometime.  

iwannarace
iwannarace New Reader
4/5/20 5:18 p.m.

Just bought a fancy hoodie. I look forward to rocking my first grm gear! Be well guys!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/5/20 5:27 p.m.

In reply to Uncle David :

Welcome to the posting side of GRM. We're all glad to have you. 

For you and everyone like you...we're all looking for entertainment lately. Feel free to throw up a topic. Sometimes even what seem like trivial pursuits end up being rather interesting dialog. 

Our Preferred Partners
qql7laAluPtdvoUlmqrHmZz0fwSL8ijl9tvWJTmPF1S9szKajzeYtrVv6BmXjbaN