vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/6/20 12:26 p.m.
Cedricn said:

Wow, ive never seen such support for a car mag, impressive fan base i must say! 

Oh, but GRM is more than just a car mag. It's a way of life!

bigben
bigben Reader
4/6/20 2:03 p.m.

I just voted for GRM with my wallet too.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
4/6/20 3:14 p.m.
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) said:
Cedricn said:

It's also a family business, and many of us have met the family personally. Even those who haven't interact with them on the board. Let me put it this way, I've had a C&D subscription since 1986. But if C&D asks me to help them out right now, I'm not likely to do it. When GRM asked, I did it without hesitation. 

GRM is more than a magazine. It's the staff, the website, the forum, the events, and it's all of us, too.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/6/20 3:39 p.m.
Cedricn said:

I did a fly and drive last year and ran into mechanical problems. I had multiple offers to come and help me that were multiple hours away......like.....8 hours away

This isn't really a fan base, it's a community. Or an asylum lol

wae (Forum Supporter)
wae (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/6/20 3:43 p.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:
Cedricn said:

I did a fly and drive last year and ran into mechanical problems. I had multiple offers to come and help me that were multiple hours away......like.....8 hours away

A long time ago at a Challenge far far away, JG was talking about one of the teams at the awards banquet - I think it was Hong Norr - and he referred to them as being more like a gang than a club.  I think that applies here.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle SuperDork
4/6/20 4:59 p.m.

Pandemic helping hand extended via subscription and a new hat. I'm trying to go very easy on expenditures right now due to a nervous job situation but I spend a lot of time here and I want to help. 

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 SuperDork
4/6/20 5:23 p.m.

Where is the link to subscribe to the online edition?

have you guys thought about a monthly subscription option like other news?  I d pay a few bucks a month rather than regularly forget to renew. Yes, I know the math might have me paying more. Which would probably be good for you as a business. 

Nitroracer
Nitroracer UltraDork
4/6/20 7:53 p.m.

Just placed my order for a few things from the merchandise store and sent a few dollars through PayPal.  I may not be one of the most vocal members here, but this is one of the most valuable places I go on the internet and I would hate to see it go.  I've been around for over 10 years, I can't remember when I first found out about GRM or how I found it but the people here are the best and I feel like I fit right in.  You can learn about literally anything that you are willing to take a few minutes and write a logical paragraph about because the membership base covers such a vast range of knowledge coming from genuinely helpful people.  If the corona-craziness comes to an end in a reasonable number of weeks and months this might even be the first time I get my self together and have a car to compete at the Grassroots $20XX Challenge, and I even bought the car from another member on here.

#SupportMotorsport

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
4/6/20 10:48 p.m.
Nitroracer said:

If the corona-craziness comes to an end in a reasonable number of weeks and months this might even be the first time I get my self together and have a car to compete at the Grassroots $20XX Challenge, and I even bought the car from another member on here.

#SupportMotorsport

I have a feeling that for anyone who doesn't get their car finished, or who just wants to come hang out, we can have a pre-event draft. All of the teamless bodies stand in a line, and all of the teams tke turns picking additional members, just like kickball in elementary school. 

Bottom line: Do not think that not having a car precludes you from making a heck of an impact at the event. It's worth the effort to make it, car or no car.

Cedricn
Cedricn New Reader
4/7/20 12:58 a.m.
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) said:
Cedricn said:

My real name is George Rooney in case anyone cares.

You get that impression from time to time :) its kind of hard to meet the GRM people though when you are on the other side of the globe, i enjoy the mag and the forum anyway, ive always liked good quality paper mags! 

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/7/20 6:51 p.m.
wae (Forum Supporter) said:
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:
Cedricn said:

A long time ago at a Challenge far far away, JG was talking about one of the teams at the awards banquet - I think it was Hong Norr - and he referred to them as being more like a gang than a club.  I think that applies here.

Gang is apt, and not one of those mamby pamby Hollywood gangs.

This is more a gang armed with sharks. Sharks with freakin LASERS!

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
4/7/20 7:36 p.m.

Gotta chime in here.  I've been a member of the GRM family since 1985 on a number of levels - freelance writer, photographer, fan, and regular forum contributor.  This is an absolutely unique community, one I don't want to ever do without.  I'm extending my subscriptions to both mags and ordering some swag tomorrow.

GRM team, you are all the best, look for a personal letter from me soon.

Hasbro (Forum Supporter)
Hasbro (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/7/20 8:13 p.m.

Some of you might be interested in this. The bigger the ad, or several smaller ads, the more the advertisers will be encouraged to buy space.  https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/does-the-forum-really-want-to-place-an-ad/170881/page1/

Brett_Murphy (Forum Supporter)
Brett_Murphy (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/7/20 8:34 p.m.
Uncle David said:

Felt guilty, sent money, and created an account, in that order.  I might even do a real post sometime.  

Welcome, we're glad to have you. 

Brett_Murphy (Forum Supporter)
Brett_Murphy (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/7/20 8:41 p.m.
Cedricn said:

You get that impression from time to time :) its kind of hard to meet the GRM people though when you are on the other side of the globe, i enjoy the mag and the forum anyway, ive always liked good quality paper mags! 

You might have that impression, but I'm sure somebody from this side of the globe will turn up in your neck of the woods sooner or later and wouldn't mind having a local guide for good food, if you're willing. 

Also, if you're able to, please post up some arbetstraktors. 

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/7/20 11:25 p.m.

Note to self:  Friday call GRM, resub, and get a T-shirt.  If I fail to do so, I owe the first person to claim it Saturday equal value in GRM swag.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/8/20 7:14 a.m.

In reply to Cedricn :

The longer you stick around, the more this becomes true.

Nicole Suddard
Nicole Suddard Marketing Coordinator
4/8/20 9:19 a.m.
Nicole Suddard said:

Hey folks!

For everyone who asked about the 10 year subscriptions, I'm working on getting that added as an option on the online form up so you won't have to call in to sign up. :)

Thanks so much for your support! I'm fairly new to this (relative to everyone else on the staff and everyone else with my last name), and reading through this thread I have been continuously amazed with how dedicated you all are to this community and to supporting what we do. Y'all are awesome. 

As a token of my gratitude, I will post the tried-and-true recipe I use for challah in the bread thread. 

Update: 10-year subscriptions are now available at the "Buy a Subscription" link in the site header. Or you can just click here. 

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
4/8/20 10:13 a.m.

Thanks for that Nicole!

Powar (Forum Supporter)
Powar (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/8/20 10:21 a.m.
Nicole Suddard said:
Nicole Suddard said:

Hey folks!

For everyone who asked about the 10 year subscriptions, I'm working on getting that added as an option on the online form up so you won't have to call in to sign up. :)

Thanks so much for your support! I'm fairly new to this (relative to everyone else on the staff and everyone else with my last name), and reading through this thread I have been continuously amazed with how dedicated you all are to this community and to supporting what we do. Y'all are awesome. 

As a token of my gratitude, I will post the tried-and-true recipe I use for challah in the bread thread. 

Update: 10-year subscriptions are now available at the "Buy a Subscription" link in the site header. Or you can just click here. 

Excellent! This is my second 10 year sub to this magazine. That's crazy to think about.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
4/8/20 11:58 a.m.
Jim Pettengill said:

Gotta chime in here.  I've been a member of the GRM family since 1985 on a number of levels - freelance writer, photographer, fan, and regular forum contributor.  This is an absolutely unique community, one I don't want to ever do without.  I'm extending my subscriptions to both mags and ordering some swag tomorrow.

GRM team, you are all the best, look for a personal letter from me soon.

All this is 100% true and we value you and all your contributions over the years, but you left out the most important part: "AW11 MR2 owner."

klipless (Forum Supporter)
klipless (Forum Supporter) Reader
4/8/20 8:05 p.m.

Thanks for adding the 10 year option to the subscription page. I'm betting that you guys will come out the otherside a-okay.

I'm in for 10! 

JohnHaag1
JohnHaag1 New Reader
4/8/20 9:50 p.m.

Perhaps someone already broached this idea. I'm just spitballing here and I haven't thought through everything. What if we offered some things, such as tools or parts or services, to others in the GRM community to raise some funds? For example, I'm getting older and doubt if I will ever get around to learning to MIG weld. I bought a new Millermatic Challenger 172 welder some years back but I doubt I have used it for more than two hours. If someone in the community wanted it, ALL money would go to GRM. I am guessing many of us have a surplus of tools, parts or talents that others could use.

Possible issues to consider in these tough times: money might be tight; shipping costs/hassle; concern about catching the virus; trust of getting the money to GRM, etc. Obviously local pick-up instead of shipping would be a lot easier. One obvious concern, though, is how many people in the Denver, CO area might be part of the GRM community and might want a MIG welder? Thoughts?

John

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
4/8/20 10:53 p.m.

In reply to JohnHaag1 :

I don't know how viable it is, but I really like this idea. Goods or services sold to fund GRM makes sense.

A biology society that I belong to has an auction at its annual meetings where donated items are auctioned off, and the money goes to a scholarship fund to help students attend future conferences. That's what your idea reminds me of.

stroker
stroker UltraDork
4/9/20 6:12 a.m.
JoeyM said:

In reply to JohnHaag1 :

I don't know how viable it is, but I really like this idea. Goods or services sold to fund GRM makes sense.

A biology society that I belong to has an auction at its annual meetings where donated items are auctioned off, and the money goes to a scholarship fund to help students attend future conferences. That's what your idea reminds me of.

Reminds me of the annual communal  "garage sale" at my church.  The funds go to Habitat for Humanity.  I considered posting the idea days ago but didn't think it was feasible. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wtZwlHdrtFTAY5P5wY0mhjNIuNNKFUmIuL9ZmTa23gtlLInHnTMYfBBlcuN90isj