4 5 6 7 8
darkbuddha
darkbuddha HalfDork
10/18/17 9:18 p.m.

The current part of this I find most distressing and annoying at the moment is that I can't find a hotel room for Thursday night.  We might still drive up and just sleep in the cars.

With regard to the noise of all this rhetorical garbage, I too support free speech, almost completely without limits.  But there are times, when reason and sense and morals and ethics guide one, that one should not be so free with their speech, even if they have the right to be.  For example, free speech allows me to say:  berkeley THE NAZIS!  Well, except that GRM has the good sense to modify my sentiment by substituting a more appropriate word in place of my colorful language, and do so with reasonable and understandable justification.  But still, seriously, berkeley the nazis.

See everyone (that can make it) at the Challenge.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
10/19/17 7:44 a.m.
markwemple said:

Hate speech (to over simplify) is designed to incite, like painting a swastika on a Jewish Temple....

No, that's vandalism. Unless you're the Jews who own said building, in case it's a total WTF.

In America, the line gets crossed when you call for people to commit a crime - and that's generally covered under incitement or conspiracy laws, not hate speech per se.

Driving a car through a crowd of protesting Nazis wouldn't be as funny in real life as it was in the Blues Brothers, but the scene does sum up the collective American reaction to Neo-Nazis: The very idea of the Illinois Nazi party is an absurdity, something that belongs with the rest of the surrealism in the movie rather than in real life. There's a lot to be said for not feeding the trolls.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
10/19/17 8:13 a.m.

In reply to darkbuddha :

Someone posted they have a spare bed at the host hotel. Don't remember who or which thread though. 

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy New Reader
10/19/17 8:18 a.m.
markwemple said:
FuzzWuzzy said:

In reply to markwemple :

But hate speech IS legal. It's literally saying something that someone else doesn't like.

Don't like it? Don't give them attention.

No. That's the point. Hate speech is not protected speech.azes me how many people don't understand this. Heck, our Current AG probably doesn't. Hate speech (to over simplify) is designed to incite, like painting a swastika on a Jewish Temple. Funny how Nazis and rednecks plaster their symbols everywhere here without issue but, in Germany the only place a swastika is legal is in a museum. Makes you wonder about us. (or them, I guess) Let's hope that all is fun and the crazies stay far away!

That's vandalism...It amazes me that people think people saying something you don't agree with is illegal.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
10/19/17 8:28 a.m.

FYI I've been in Gainesville for 11 hours and haven't seen a swastika, Alabama man dressed like a ghost, or a tiki torch khaki wearing bag yet.  Just smiling happy challengers

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
10/19/17 9:23 a.m.
markwemple said:
FuzzWuzzy said:

In reply to markwemple :

But hate speech IS legal. It's literally saying something that someone else doesn't like.

Don't like it? Don't give them attention.

No. That's the point. Hate speech is not protected speech.azes me how many people don't understand this. Heck, our Current AG probably doesn't. Hate speech (to over simplify) is designed to incite, like painting a swastika on a Jewish Temple. Funny how Nazis and rednecks plaster their symbols everywhere here without issue but, in Germany the only place a swastika is legal is in a museum. Makes you wonder about us. (or them, I guess) Let's hope that all is fun and the crazies stay far away!

You should spend some time on Popehat. Ken White is pretty much the leading authority on free speech outside of the Supreme Court. Plus he writes with a good sense of humor and watching him tear those Prenda pricks a new one was one of the funniest controversies I've ever seen.

More relevant, the second link down is him debating with another expert about hate speech. You'll probably find that interesting.

darkbuddha
darkbuddha HalfDork
10/19/17 12:33 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

Thanks for the tip, but we've decided to just drive up Friday morning.  We're just down in Sarasota, so we should be there in under 3 hours, unless there's a huge back up because of this UF speech garbage.  I guess we'll leave extra early.

joey48442
joey48442 PowerDork
10/19/17 1:13 p.m.

In reply to FuzzWuzzy :

I think when people say they don’t like sushi it should be illegal. 

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
10/19/17 1:17 p.m.

In reply to joey48442 :

I don't like sushi.

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy New Reader
10/19/17 1:19 p.m.
Bobzilla said:

In reply to joey48442 :

I don't like sushi.

Looks like you're going to jail for hate crimes against Japanese culture.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
10/19/17 1:21 p.m.
joey48442 said:

In reply to FuzzWuzzy :

I think when people say they don’t like bacon it should be illegal. 

FTFY

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/19/17 1:39 p.m.

That's racist.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
10/19/17 1:48 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

your FACE is racist! bahahahaha

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago SuperDork
10/19/17 2:15 p.m.
fasted58 said:
joey48442 said:

In reply to FuzzWuzzy :

I think when people say they don’t like bacon it should be illegal. 

FTFY

Sushi > bacon. #hottake #banbacon

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
10/19/17 2:17 p.m.

In reply to thatsnowinnebago :

that there just ain't 'Murican

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
10/19/17 2:26 p.m.

if fish were meant to be eaten raw, fire would have never been invented. 

Crackers
Crackers HalfDork
10/19/17 2:32 p.m.
Bobzilla said:

In reply to Crackers :

I doubt their parents feel they are human garbage. Perspective people. The world isn't black and white. 

I really hope you can at least appreciate the irony in your statement given whom you're defending. 

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
10/19/17 2:57 p.m.

In reply to Crackers :

I'm not defending anybody. I'm pointint out that there are shades of grey instead of black or white, A or B, etc etc etc. Are American Indians trash because they are taught to hate white people because they're white? It's all about perspective. Yours is different than others. advocationg violence on someone because of their opinions isn't very open minded. in fact its the very problem we as a country have right now. The inability to actually discuss the true issues for fear of being labled a racist, or bigot, or mysoginist or any other multitude of names that really don't apply.

For some reason we really love to label things that don't need labels. 

joey48442
joey48442 PowerDork
10/19/17 3:15 p.m.
Bobzilla said:

In reply to joey48442 :

I don't like sushi.

I don’t think the first amendment was whipped up to cover statements that outlandish. 

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy New Reader
10/19/17 3:31 p.m.
fasted58 said:

In reply to thatsnowinnebago :

that there just ain't 'Murican

Bacon flavored sushi sure would be American, though.

If we have bacon soap, bacon sushi should be easy peazy.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
10/19/17 3:37 p.m.
FuzzWuzzy said:

Bacon flavored sushi sure would be American, though.

If we have bacon soap, bacon sushi should be easy peazy.

Use the bacon to wrap a log of cold mashed potatoes. Maybe put some green peas in the middle. Make something that looks like a California roll. Voila, a sushi look alike! Sounds good but might be a bit tricky to get the bacon wound around the potatoes without burning your fingers.

RevRico
RevRico UltraDork
10/19/17 5:13 p.m.

Having had bacon in a sushi roll, they go perfectly well together. 

I mean, spam sushi is a thing, surely bacon is a better choice?

But if you really wanted to get fancy about bacon and sushi, you'd make a bacon weave like for a taco shell, and bake it most of the way so it's crispy but pliable, and use it instead of rice or soy paper. 

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
10/19/17 5:52 p.m.

Is this a thread about the Challenge or something else. ?frown

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
10/19/17 6:41 p.m.

Yes

Crackers
Crackers HalfDork
10/19/17 6:48 p.m.

Well, you can hope in one hand, and I guess bacon sushi in the other.

4 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vaBmVxTgoqDkgT9hsCmanlJ1dQXRApnXxF5JMLHOFWUQPGblAiyxMXPtBgnqj07F