Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit HalfDork
10/28/13 10:02 p.m.

Looking for your thought on this car. A 1993 BMW 325i, the car has 200K and is over all in rough shape, the car needs front brake pads and rotors and the engine has a solid tap noise coming from about the center of the engine. I am not a BMW guru, should I even get involved in this car or just keep moving.

Pros: Starts right up, no CEL or other lights, trans feels good (no test drive yet), cheap E36, RWD, and I kind of like it.

Cons: Tapping noise, small oil leak from rocker cover, seat trashed, body is rough.

I am a bit pressed for time as my DD is all but totaled http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/oh-deer/73169/page1/ So I do not want to waste my time with another project due to school.

http://york.craigslist.org/cto/4138418879.html

Thanks for the input fokes.

Paul B

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
10/28/13 10:12 p.m.

Tap noise up top? My gut check is lifter tick. Didn't these use HLAs? Probably one has just completely collapsed (and the others aren't far behind).

(This advice is worth exactly the price paid for it.)

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit HalfDork
10/28/13 10:30 p.m.

It could be a lifter tap but my concern is will this fail and take out the engine, or just make noise for the next 100K miles and never fail. The Chrysler 2.2 and 2.5 engine develop wrist pin slap but I have never seen one fail.

MINIzguy
MINIzguy New Reader
10/28/13 10:35 p.m.

A lot of BMW autocross guys have lifter tap due to the high G-forces. They usually overfill and that cures it most of the time.

It could be that this motor is slightly underfilled and topping it off could solve the problem.

plance1
plance1 Dork
10/28/13 10:36 p.m.

run away

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
10/28/13 10:52 p.m.

from the looks and description.. that better be an almost free BMW. The 325 sedan is not worth much to begin with.. and in that condition?

fornetti14
fornetti14 HalfDork
10/29/13 6:04 a.m.

I had a '92 that developed a tapping/"popping" sound. Turns out one of the spark plugs were loose.
My E36 loved heavy weight Mobil 1 oil. Nothing else would keep it quiet after 150,000 miles.

02Pilot
02Pilot HalfDork
10/29/13 7:14 a.m.

I'd be more worried about how old the cooling system is than the top end noise. BMWs tend to get a little noisy as they age, but it's rarely fatal in my experience; as noted, a little overfilled with heavy oil is the generally accepted remedy.

At $1000 it's overpriced IMO; if you could get it for half that it might be interesting to see how long you could keep it going.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltraDork
10/29/13 8:10 a.m.

My daily driver is an E36 that's now at 216K miles. The top end noise could be a VANOS solenoid, or it could be a quart low on oil. Or he could be running it on 10W-30 oil (the factory recommends 15W-40). If it is a collapsed lifter, it's something you can fix when you get around to it.

If the radiator hasn't been replaced in the last 50,000 miles, replace it.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
10/29/13 9:55 a.m.

Unless the plan is to make a toy/track car, I can't imagine this being worth the hassle.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke HalfDork
10/29/13 10:25 a.m.

If you aren't looking for another project, then this is not the droid you're looking for.

cdowd
cdowd Reader
10/29/13 10:27 a.m.

I'd buy, but then I am a gluten for punishment.

Powar
Powar SuperDork
10/29/13 10:35 a.m.
clutchsmoke wrote: If you aren't looking for another project, then this is not the droid you're looking for.

Exactly my thoughts. If you don't want a project right now, just fix the Omni that you already know and like, or find a used manual-equipped Protege/626/MX6/Probe/Corolla/Camry/Accord/Civic/CRX/otherautomotivecockroach

LuxInterior
LuxInterior New Reader
10/29/13 11:26 a.m.
cdowd wrote: I'd buy, but then I am a gluten for punishment.

Yes but, $1000 is too much bread...

cdowd
cdowd Reader
10/29/13 11:29 a.m.

In reply to LuxInterior:

That is true, but it don't think it ever says how much it is.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KoglHtR86EcuJX78i8euSPAEsmkA6kkHIuxXwnC8Z1lDwcHvuZRh3uMV3HxkcVdS