1 2
speedblind
speedblind HalfDork
11/29/13 11:57 p.m.

The Internet is probably the worst place in the universe to go for objective VW ownership advice. That said, I'll give you mine: I have had two MKVI GTIs and haven't had issues with either. Great cars that balance the daily commute and spirited backroads better than almost anything I've ever owned. I have one now as a daily driver and it's ideal as just that: a soft-ish, comfortable, reasonably quick and engaging driver with all of the modern goodies that have somehow become important (Bluetooth, iPod connection, etc.). It's a great balance, just like my 2004 ZHP. Another car I'd look seriously at if you want something comfortable and fun.

I can see the comparison to a Civic Si - I've driven them and they're great. I love an engine that wants to be wound out on a weekend drive, but it becomes a chore in daily life. If you're at all a fan of torque...like full torque at just above idle in any gear...then consider the GTI. The 2.0L turbo in that car is one of the sweetest engines currently available in my opinion. You will have irritating issues with it over the ownership cycle...but every time you hit third gear at full tilt and the car keeps going, it will be worth it.

nlmoschitta
nlmoschitta New Reader
11/30/13 6:21 p.m.

In reply to hotchocolate:

No problem, glad to help.

Yani
Yani Reader
12/1/13 7:21 a.m.

The ESP on cars up to 2012 can be switched on/off with VCDS by toggling the steering angle sensor accordingly. It's a 1 minute job with a laptop. From 2012 onward they changed the ABS module so that you can code it with VCDS to have a 2 stage ESP button (TCS off then ESP off).

You can't compare any German car to a beige Camry in terms of reliability. The Camry's sole existence is due to cheapness and reliability. The Mk6 GTI is well built, but it's much more complex than a rolling toaster and maintenance will be higher.

That being said I love my Mk6 TDI. I just hit 60k last week, which means the powertrain warranty is up and it's time for an exhaust and tune. It's one of the only car's I know of that you can throw a mountain of camping gear in and drive from Ohio to Road Atlanta getting >40mpg in relative comfort and silence. Then hit the Tail of the Dragon and blast around the mountain roads. Keep in mind I've upgraded much of the suspension, since a stock TDI is softer sprung than a GTI and has slightly smaller sway bars.

carbon
carbon Reader
12/1/13 5:18 p.m.

My gti wasnt complex, it was just riddled with design flaws and poorly built.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HyLAc3KnpnMLUEJE0io5yHyncSGcUMxpQsr6GK2v93yo3Wr1C8iSjrZqVdMcDN9b