bluescooby
bluescooby New Reader
8/14/13 8:14 p.m.

Because of THIS

1991 Alfa 164S... no accident damage, donated vehicle, "runs and drives..."

Paint looks like it's seen better days, the rear wheels look like they have an awful lot of positive camber (or are my eyes screwy?), and I don't even want to think about the maintenance history (which is surely nonexistent). Also it's not in Atlanta, which is a problem because that's where I'm at. Every logical cell in my brain is telling me to leave it be, but I just can't help but want to buy a $250 (well, now it's up to $425) Alfa that runs (or used to up until very recently).

I know how GRM feels about the 164, but is there any bloody good reason (aside from the many good reasons I've listed) that I shouldn't be in New York with a trailer by this weekend?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UberDork
8/14/13 8:24 p.m.

You should buy it. Looks like at least as much fun as a kick in the nuts.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
8/15/13 5:15 a.m.

Not necessarily. I see quite a few "donation" cars when I go to IAA (Copart's competitor). People will take the tax write-off and donate to a charity, who in turn just sells it at a salvage sale. An Alfa 164 is an excellent candidate for that. A timing belt replacement may cost more than it's worth.

They were good cars back when they were new. We sold a couple dozen at our dealership before Alfa bailed again and didn't have much trouble with them. HVAC system gave the most fits, as I remember. Fast car, in spite of it's girth.

Tyler H
Tyler H SuperDork
8/15/13 6:00 a.m.

I hope the oil pressure gauge is broken.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
8/15/13 6:11 a.m.
Tyler H wrote: I hope the oil pressure gauge is broken.

I was thinking the same thing.

sachilles
sachilles SuperDork
8/15/13 9:25 a.m.

I didn't realize they did RV's through co-part. I did not need to see that.

16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
8/15/13 10:26 a.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: It has a salvage title. Good chance it's a sandy car

Where did you see that? Looks to me like it has a regular New York title.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
8/15/13 12:47 p.m.
1988RedT2 wrote: You should buy it. Looks like at least as much fun as a kick in the nuts.

bluescooby
bluescooby New Reader
8/16/13 2:00 a.m.

I managed to avoid the temptation, with a little help (icy stares) from my lovely wife. Every time she hears the ACR clatter to life she wonders why I would need a second car that barely runs...

Also apparently the majority of the auctions require you to present some manner of business license to bid, or otherwise pay through a broker. Hidden charges, sneaky sneaky...

Back to browsing AutoTempest...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qrNQ7OUfUOoYttJTwsscuh2GVKxIZ2T9KRQmnWIi4Zv2SdBabCc0wVhG288zQjZA