NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
11/16/22 12:42 p.m.

I am ready to install a front windshield in the Tupperware Hot Rod.

What I have to install is a flat sheet of laminated glass cut to fit in the mail slot sized opening. What I am concerned about is making it look reasonable from the outside.

OEM style windshields have a black band of paint or some such around the perimeter to hide the adhesive line since it is less then homogeneous in its application and would be seen from the outside.

Traditionally, I have used the recommended very expensive primer over the black surface, applied urethane sealant and located the window in the hole. 

My plan at this point is to paint a black strip around the perimeter of the glass. Apply urethane adhesive and jam the window in place. No primer since the primer seems to have enough solvent to eat through the rattle can paint on the perimeter. Since the paint-to-window is the actual adhesion mechanism, I am a bit concerned about the durability of the bond.

The other option is to tape off the window leaving 3/4" around the perimeter, apply the primer and then try to brush on a smooth layer of urethane adhesive as a base and then a larger one to smush into the hole. The problem with this is that if it does not work, I am comited  once I start with no way out and I can see it not working.

Anyone been down this road? Am I just overthinking it?

Karacticus
Karacticus SuperDork
11/16/22 1:27 p.m.

It's more fab, but just drop a hammer on the problem by covering the edge with some trim?

There's also the option of having vinyl cut to apply to the outside of the glass to cover the adhesive. 

Kendall Frederick
Kendall Frederick New Reader
11/16/22 6:51 p.m.

It looks like it will be inset into the "box" formed by the windshield frame, correct?  How big of a gap will be around the perimeter?  Can you find some welting to fill in that gap and hide any smooshed out adhesive?

MyMiatas
MyMiatas Reader
11/16/22 9:19 p.m.

From asking and listening to a windshield installer and owner of his company. He raves about the black urethane primer that he uses for windshield installs. That primer sticks like glue and adheres to the glass like nothing else.  I would determine how much you want black from the outside and inside mask off the viewing area and clean the area being painted with acetone. Then carefully brush the primer on the surface. It does lay out nicely. Then prime the area on the car that the urethane is being applied to.  Unmask the windshield. Apply the urethane to the windshield. Carefully install the windshield and masking tape it to hold it at the height and gap you want it to be.  You only have a certain amount of time to prime and install the glass after priming.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
11/16/22 9:32 p.m.

In reply to MyMiatas :

I think you might have solved my problem. I had not considered the color of the primer, but if it is black, then it will do the job of defining a clear line all by itself. I wont need to paint the glass.

Thanks.

MyMiatas
MyMiatas Reader
11/16/22 9:53 p.m.
GaryC83
GaryC83 Reader
11/17/22 3:20 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

That's sort of what we do...

We use the pinchweld primer but actually mask off however much we see fit (even on our acrylic stuff for race cars) on the glass, spray that out of a touch up gun, then either bolt or bond in the glass / acrylic. Best way we have found To get nice *even* repeatable margins on the stuff.  

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
11/17/22 4:03 a.m.

In reply to MyMiatas :

And of course it does not ship to Canada.  Going to guess the flammable nature makes it a hazardous good and very expensive to ship.

The term "pinchweld primer" is new to me, but might help also as I look for local iteration of the product.

GaryC83
GaryC83 Reader
11/17/22 4:44 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Search for 3M 08682 (i think thats the smaller bottle...). I bet any local autobody jobber or even good auto parts store will have it or something akin to it in stock, sitting on the shelf.  Heck, might even find it on Amazon's Canadian Arm.  I want to say we pay about $25-$30 for the smaller bottles and the larger one is like $60ish, off hand. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
11/17/22 10:25 a.m.

Found it. $82 !

MyMiatas
MyMiatas Reader
11/17/22 2:24 p.m.

That will do the job. I just looked for the brand that our glass guy uses

MyMiatas
MyMiatas Reader
11/28/22 4:10 p.m.

Did you install that windshield?

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
11/28/22 8:18 p.m.
MyMiatas said:

Did you install that windshield?

Still waiting on Amazon to deliver the primer. This Thursday I expect.

But I did get the LS to idle, so that is a thing!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kRvk2At5KkuELCVC4IfLokJGCr5mgnQWLMEDr5pVzWGtCoPAA0L6OCA5TWeeSwjF