Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
2/5/22 5:08 p.m.

I know it's been asked in previous years, I thought this year might have different circumstances...

Is it time to shop for new tires for the BRZ yet?  I'm not a fan of the Federal RS-RR tires that I bought from a local friend last year.  They're ok but make me real uneasy in the rain, and seem a bit noisy.  I mostly bought them because they were on nice Rota Titan wheels, a good price, I trusted the buyer, and I knew the 255/40-17 would fit with a small spacer.

Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 PLUS at $165 seem like a good deal.  Spirited daily driving, probably half a season of autocross (nowhere near the pointy end of the results), and never say never to a casual track day.

There are cheaper options but that sounds like quality stuff and it made their Top 4 list.

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
2/5/22 5:19 p.m.

Any particular reason for picking an all season tire?  Something summer-only is going to better serve you for autocross and lapping days.

dps214
dps214 Dork
2/5/22 7:27 p.m.

So far i really like the dws06+ as an actual all season tire...but there's no way they'd hold up to a track day or probably an autocross for that matter. Unless you're going to drive it in the snow you want some form of summer tire.

And sadly the time to be shopping for autocross/track tires was six months ago before all the prices went up.

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
2/5/22 7:46 p.m.

I put Firestone Indy 500s on the G35 and instantly fell in love with them on and off the track. While not as sticky as some tires I've run, they are much more enjoyable and predictable to drive. 

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
2/6/22 9:23 a.m.
red_stapler said:

Any particular reason for picking an all season tire?  Something summer-only is going to better serve you for autocross and lapping days.

Nope, I read this as a Sumer Performance tire.  D'oh.  I had Firestone Indy 500s on the Abarth and a set for the WRX, and really liked them.  Have to go back and check the size.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
2/6/22 9:33 a.m.

In a Conti, ECS is the summer tire you want.   A little pricier than the 'Stones, though...

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
2/6/22 9:35 a.m.
Rodan said:

In a Conti, ECS is the summer tire you want.   A little pricier than the 'Stones, though...

Yup, the ECS is the summer companion to the DWS06.  I've been DD-ing the E38 on them for a few years and they're great.  They're a bit loud on any pavement that's less than perfectly smooth and they're not the longest lasting, but they feel good and they have tons of grip.  Their wet grip (and standing water performance) is downright spectacular, which makes them a great DD tire in my mind. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Iolxzvuuob1CQuqCS9JIuvtCmzcUnSlG6ctF7xcOvSQBlJY60kRJhN8QhFlIF0bw