Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
5/5/22 1:26 p.m.

A coworker is interested in getting into some track events or autocross. We both used to be in the DC are but now he is near Tioga, PA.

Which clubs can I link him into? 

I told him to think about doing some autocross then maybe a driving experience or school. That way he can minimize risk to losing his own car. Then decide if he want to join OUR WORLD of grassroots motorsports. 

tooms351
tooms351 Reader
5/5/22 1:44 p.m.

Watkins Glen raceway is about half an hour away from Tioga county. Try finger lakes region scca.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane UltraDork
5/5/22 1:51 p.m.

Yeah, The Glen is the closest non-circle track venue I know of.  MassTuning is doing a weekend there this year, NASA NorthEast just did their first weekend of the year there.

I believe Susquehanna region of the SCCA used to run Autocrosses near Williamsport, PA.  Central PA region runs around State College, but that's probably 2-3 hours away from Tioga.   I think there's a North East SCCA region, that had a few autocrosses near Wilkes Barre, but I might be mistaken on that.

dps214
dps214 Dork
5/5/22 2:24 p.m.

As others said finger lakes is probably the closest. Looks like their autocross site is about 1.5hrs away and is one of the better sites in the country, maybe the best asphalt site left at this point.

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
5/5/22 4:08 p.m.

Ok fingerlakes SCCA and Watkins Glen. 

I will let him know.

Any good go kart racing groups?

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/5/22 7:24 p.m.

Wellsboro, PA is right up there and host several rally events a year, though that won't help with vehicle preservation. 

Furious_E (Forum Supporter)
Furious_E (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
5/5/22 8:25 p.m.

In reply to WonkoTheSane :

Williamsport would be Central Penn, I think.

Susquehanna's sites have all been around the Harrisburg area, at least since I've been running with them (2014.) It would be a haul from Tioga, but our current Elmerton site is pretty decent and we love newbies. 

NEPA region is a really great group as well. They have a few sites up around Wilkes-Barre, but the real gem is Pocono Raceway. Best auto x site I've run, hands down. Courses are long and fast AF (for an autocross anyway.) Need to get myself up there for a track sprint one of these days.

Captdownshift is right though, that's rally country up there. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
5/5/22 8:28 p.m.

Maybe EMRA?

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane UltraDork
5/5/22 10:18 p.m.
Furious_E (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to WonkoTheSane :

Williamsport would be Central Penn, I think.

Susquehanna's sites have all been around the Harrisburg area, at least since I've been running with them (2014.) It would be a haul from Tioga, but our current Elmerton site is pretty decent and we love newbies. 

NEPA region is a really great group as well. They have a few sites up around Wilkes-Barre, but the real gem is Pocono Raceway. Best auto x site I've run, hands down. Courses are long and fast AF (for an autocross anyway.) Need to get myself up there for a track sprint one of these days.

Captdownshift is right though, that's rally country up there. 

Ah, you're right!  It was NEPA that had a site in Willadelphia, but I moved out of PA a decade ago at this point, so my memory is hazy and out of date.

AZP installs is doing a track day at Pocono this coming Monday, being put on by NASA NE.

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
5/6/22 1:36 p.m.
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

Wellsboro, PA is right up there and host several rally events a year, though that won't help with vehicle preservation. 

He claims to not be interested in rally but I will pressure him to go spectate this year!

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
5/6/22 1:37 p.m.

Thanks all, helpful as usual. 

I forwarded all this info and links to him for the thread and clubs. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XOrI33fzb8EEjjNMSM83lEmZMkX9k6PLeyQF34AFek5HBzJX13G0hXpBKGeoAnCh