Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
9/10/18 3:45 p.m.

How much clearance is needed between the tire and the upright? The new wheels came in for the G35 and they might be a little bigger than I thought. 

I only have about 3/8" clearance between the wheel and the upright. The tire may be a little closer once I get them in. How tight can it be. 

Next question. How close can it be to the calipers. Looks like it will be about 1/8" These are not sliding calipers so that clearance shouldn't change other than whatever flex is in the assembly. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UltraDork
9/10/18 3:55 p.m.

I'd say your fine.  We run that much space on our champcar.  Never had a problem.

Especially with short sidewalls.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
9/10/18 5:59 p.m.

I agree that it'll probably be fine. Do you have enough stud to throw on 1/4 inch spacers? The wheel clearance will work but the tires might want a little breathing room. 

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
9/10/18 6:07 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

I ordered two sets of 5mm spacers just in case. 

tr8todd
tr8todd Dork
9/10/18 6:19 p.m.

What you just described is pretty much every TR8 that has upsized to 15X7 wheels and big brakes.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
9/10/18 6:32 p.m.

Yeah, I've seen less clearance on other cars without an issue. Unless you run tall tires and pull a ton of Gs you should be fine.

mazdeuce - Seth
9/10/18 7:10 p.m.

And excellent wheel choice too. laugh

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
9/10/18 8:16 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Cool. The bronze wasn't my first choice in color, but that was all they had in a 9" wheel. Now that they are here, I'm really liking them. 

mazdeuce - Seth
9/10/18 8:25 p.m.

Same reason I have bronze, but like you, I kinda dig them.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
9/10/18 8:37 p.m.

For a strut car, a credit card width is fine.

Usually on a DWB car the control arm hits the inside lip of the wheel (at/near full lock) before you run into upright clearance issues.  (see:  Miata)

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
9/11/18 10:14 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

For a strut car, a credit card width is fine.

Usually on a DWB car the control arm hits the inside lip of the wheel (at/near full lock) before you run into upright clearance issues.  (see:  Miata)

This. For brake to wheel clearance, you only need to account for flex and thermal expansion, which is approximately nothing.

wspohn
wspohn Dork
9/11/18 3:55 p.m.

Depends on how hard you drive.  I had some tires on my TVR race car once with 1/2"clearance between tire and rear upright.  Ripped the sidewall out in the first hard lap - they sometimes flex more than you expect.  And I was running higher than street pressures, too.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hLMlQb3Xnsq2R8Tu4E9TK0EY2vwG8bCFM2cuFt7YuOrrC68bfWM05wd3vROKI7Yx