mslevin
mslevin New Reader
3/10/22 6:32 p.m.

I've reached a point in the development of my car where I need to learn a lot more about tires- temps, how they respond, etc, to be able to adjust and tune tire pressures, alignment, and suspension settings. For context, this is for my M3 built to compete in NASA ST4. Running on NT01 now, will likely move to Hoosiers later this year. My first ever race is in two weeks! Aahhhh!!

Where should I start? What tools do I need? Right now in terms of tire data, I have a nice Longacre tire pressure gauge and that's it. Do I need a temp-compensated gauge? Pyrometer? Temp gun? IR sensors built into my data acquisition so I can do Forza-style live tire temp overlays on all my videos? I monitor shoulder wear, rollover, and general wear patterns on my tires, but I'm a data-driven individual and would like to put some numbers to it.

Point me towards some info and I shall consume it, gratefully. TIA!

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf HalfDork
3/10/22 7:44 p.m.

When I was racing I learned that you want tire temps NOT from the surface but in a bit so a Pyrometer with a probe (IR only gets surface temp) is best. Be consistent with how deep you probe to get useful numbers.

We charted everything; temps, tread depth, pressures hot and cold.

Understanding the data and what adjustments, if any, they suggest is important. Also get driver input on feel of the car after changes.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/10/22 8:02 p.m.

FWIW, there's a story in the next issue detailing how to test in order to determine correct tire pressures. 

amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter)
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
3/10/22 10:20 p.m.

How about a driving coach?

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
3/11/22 7:29 a.m.

How much racing experience do you have?  Not knowing this it is tough for me to make recommendations re needed tire data. 

mslevin
mslevin New Reader
3/11/22 12:05 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

FWIW, there's a story in the next issue detailing how to test in order to determine correct tire pressures. 

Oh sweet! Good thing I just renewed my print subscription :-)

mslevin
mslevin New Reader
3/11/22 12:07 p.m.
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) said:

How about a driving coach?

I'd love one and likely will work with one at some point, but for now I'd like to build my skills to be able to make my own decisions. Buying a pyrometer is also a one-time cost, vs $500+/day for coaching.

mslevin
mslevin New Reader
3/11/22 12:09 p.m.
dean1484 said:

How much racing experience do you have?  Not knowing this it is tough for me to make recommendations re needed tire data. 

No racing experience yet- first race is at the end of the month. I have a good amount of HPDE/track day seat time, with 17 events in my current car since it was built (June '21) and about 20 additional in other cars in the last 5 years.

The car has a full data acquisition system in it so I'm familiar with using data to make decisions, and am willing to dive in headfirst into whatever you can recommend! 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/11/22 12:51 p.m.
mslevin said:
David S. Wallens said:

Oh sweet! Good thing I just renewed my print subscription :-)

Whew! Look for an extra helping of tire content in the May and June issues.

ChrisTropea
ChrisTropea Associate Editor
3/11/22 1:09 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

This video we did with Andy Hollis might be helpful too.

How To Properly Set Tire Pressures For The Track

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
W4D4rdFUZSViiwx5Nu4OxzE1rLSqKitqpfn731fxY3ay9Kt61jVze7o0K86UIZoO