ultraclyde
ultraclyde Dork
4/15/12 7:59 p.m.

okay, it's time for a new set of tires on the Mustang. I'm running the stock 17x8 rims, and I've been very happy with two consecutive sets of Fuzion ZRi s in 255/50/17. They were cheap ($125) and gripped really well, and I got 30k miles out of 'em. Unfortunately, they don't make them in that size anymore.

Obviously, I'm looking for summer high perf tires, no snow around here. I'm down to either Nitto 555s or khumo ecsta ASPs , both will run me just under $800 installed.

Any opinions on either of these for DD use with the occasional autox?

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Dork
4/16/12 9:21 a.m.

Okay....bumping this back to the top......I've found Khumo Ecsta SPTs for a little less money......Anyone run those? How'd you like them? Anyone?

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

iceracer
iceracer SuperDork
4/16/12 9:34 a.m.

I had a set of SPT's. Very good tire. Even wear was good.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero Dork
4/16/12 9:39 a.m.

I <3 SPTs.

I ran them as a DD, rain and AutoX rubber for long time.

They are AWESOME in the wet and did very well at dry events when I was too lazy to change tires. I would still run them, but they do make them in the size I need anymore

stumpmj
stumpmj Dork
4/16/12 10:03 a.m.

I'll throw in a vote of support for the Nittos. I had them on my 350Z. They wore fine and held up great for a couple of trackdays.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH UberDork
4/16/12 1:23 p.m.
ultraclyde wrote: Okay....bumping this back to the top......I've found Khumo Ecsta SPTs for a little less money......Anyone run those? How'd you like them? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

I've run SPTs, excellent street tires and pretty good track tires, in terms of overall value for money they're top notch, my top recommendation for DD tires in a hot climate. Mine didn't lose dry grip until they were over 5 years old and wet grip was good until the treads got down to about 25%. In fact I drove to work on those old crusties today (about 15% front tread, 5% rear...gonna swap to the Star Specs soon) and on a hot road the grip still feels pretty good.

I only switched to Star Specs because they're a bit grippier and I don't DD the car anymore. If I was still DD'ing I would have gone with another set of SPTs for sure.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy SuperDork
4/16/12 1:26 p.m.

Hankook Evo12's. Should be cheap, quiet, sticky, and long lasting.

nderwater
nderwater UltraDork
4/16/12 1:28 p.m.

The SPT's are a great daily-drive tire, but they do give up some grip to the stickier max-performance tires. After swapping tires and taking a known corner, I had a cracked rim and bent control-arm to prove it.

Matt B
Matt B Dork
4/16/12 1:35 p.m.

I've never run the Nitto 555, nor do I know much about them so I can't really comment on which one is better.

That said, I'll reiterate some of the things already posted about the SPT. I was real happy with that tire as daily driver that didn't fall on its face at autocross. Great wet grip and relatively long lasting compared to similar tires. Only reason I stopped using them is they stopped making my size. Obviously, they're not going to be in the same class as Star Specs, AD08, RE-11s and the like. I don't think they are as expensive and will definitely last longer though, so pick your poison.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
4/16/12 2:06 p.m.

I hate SPT's. Have them on the vette, and with blown head gaskets, leaking rings and no power they had NO grip and overheated FAST. I burned through a set of 275's in ~5,000 miles. the 255's I have are wearing like iron but have zero grip.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero Dork
4/16/12 2:34 p.m.

In reply to Bobzilla:

Really? They were absolute darlings on my E36 (325is - 235 square and M3 235/255 staggered) . I was thinking about getting a set for the Vette wheels I have that I may (or may not) use for my 5.0 E36 build.

nderwater
nderwater UltraDork
4/16/12 2:36 p.m.

PS: I ran the SPTs on both my turbo and n/a Miatas. They may perform differently in wider sizes or on heavier cars.

bigbens6
bigbens6 Reader
4/16/12 2:52 p.m.

Hankook ventus V12's have been good to me for price

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Dork
4/16/12 3:48 p.m.

Interesting mixed reviews on the Khumos.....

Any more insight on the Nitto 555s? Worth an extra 100 on the set?

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
4/16/12 4:11 p.m.
Strike_Zero wrote: In reply to Bobzilla: Really? They were absolute darlings on my E36 (325is - 235 square and M3 235/255 staggered) . I was thinking about getting a set for the Vette wheels I have that I may (or may not) use for my 5.0 E36 build.

Absolutely hated them! They were OK on the street, but she'd step out in a heartbeat if you were ham fisted with the gas. Auto-x'ing them was bad on a good day. I was running 255/45/17 frt and 275/40/17 rears. The rears I bought new and got 5k on them. The last 2k was on the front because they were just shredding themselbes on the back.

They're cheap, and they are OK for a daily if you're not in a hurry. But on a 3100lb car in those sizes I hated them.

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath Dork
4/16/12 4:22 p.m.
HiTempguy wrote: Hankook Evo12's. Should be cheap, quiet, sticky, and long lasting.

This^

HStockSolo
HStockSolo Reader
4/16/12 5:39 p.m.

Another vote for SPTs. They work really well cold. Just took my 325i for a spin on my old 205/50R16s. I get the impression that V12s would be a downgrade. I am still deciding what to replace them with. Pilot Super Sports seem like the best but those start out at $167 for 215/45R17s.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero Dork
4/16/12 5:44 p.m.

In reply to Bobzilla:

That's the same size I was thinking of running on the 5.0 E36 (~2500lbs) . . . ya gotz me thinking now . . .

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
4/16/12 6:08 p.m.
Strike_Zero wrote: In reply to Bobzilla: That's the same size I was thinking of running on the 5.0 E36 (~2500lbs) . . . ya gotz me thinking now . . .

MAYBE a lighter car would get better results, but after having been on "real" tires in my front drivers (RS-2's on the elantra at one point and RE-01R's and R1R's for hte Swift) the SPT's are just no where near being as good at anything the other's were.

What makes it harder is there is really nothing "good" in a 275/40/17. I might try the Nitto NT05's next year. I'm running some 255/40/17 Star Specs this year I got used cheap. They measure the same width as my 275 SPT's.

Cole_Trickle
Cole_Trickle Reader
4/16/12 6:11 p.m.

Had 555's on my Mustang years ago. I loved them. The only downside was that I wore them out quickly. (Well quicker than Kumho's and Goodyear gators)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
k2jvc34zf07N3VMiQbVAaSXXeqzNCGfYAuOkwOlPNG5vfhH2RvI8iHXb2pXwKpM6