1 2
Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
5/20/19 6:17 p.m.

2012 mazda6. 215/55/17

Tge last set of tires i had that i absolutely loved were continentals. I remember that they had dry/wet/snow engraved into the tread face as wear indicators, but nothing past thatm looking on tire rack, seems like theres dws06, purecontact, and extreme contact.

Regardless, its a daily. All weather but snow. Want 50k plus out of the set, quiet, excellent wet weather, and hold air. 

Ive been happy with falken, general, continental, and Michelin on other cars over the years. 

And, go! 

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
5/20/19 6:22 p.m.

I've been running Sumitomo and Falken on a lot of stuff lately. Tire Rack just delivered a set for the Wife's Mustang. 

I have a set of HTR Enhanced with well over 50K on them. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise HalfDork
5/20/19 6:24 p.m.

Our mazda5 gets 52k-55k last two sets of michelin primacy 225/40/18 

i just switches to 215/45/18 continental extreme contact 

skierd
skierd SuperDork
5/20/19 6:48 p.m.

Unsure about the treadwear because I wore the car out first, but I really really like the Cooper CS5 Ultra Tourings I had on my Outback. I had a good 30k on them and they had good tread left and Alaska roads are not kind to tires. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
5/20/19 7:50 p.m.

What if I suggest crap tires and tell you that I love the Westlake tires on my Miata? They do all the tire things I like tires to do and are suuuuuuper cheap. 

Ah crap, just checked Amazon and they don't have them in your size. sad

Edit: Simple tire seems to have them in your size for $62 each with free shipping. 

90BuickCentury
90BuickCentury New Reader
5/20/19 7:59 p.m.

I've got 68k miles on my Hankooks on my truck. Looks like i still have 1 or 2 16ths until they hit the treadwear indicator. Liked them so well I got 4 for my Accord and 4 on my  wagon for around $250 a set. Not sure of they carry your size but if they do, that's what I'd get.

Dusterbd13-michael
5/20/19 8:14 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Ive owned one set of westlakes. On a mid 90s grand prix. Maybe late 80s, i dont really remember. They were hilariously low grip. But they outlived the car!

But nope. No westlake on this one. Sorry....

However, keep the others coming! This is a new rabbit hole for me. Usually i buy the falken 950 and forget about it for another 30k, but they most recen set is horribly noisy on the wifes minivan. Hence looking at other options .

rslifkin
rslifkin UltraDork
5/20/19 8:18 p.m.

If you liked the old Conti DWS, I've heard very good things about the DWS06. 

Floating Doc
Floating Doc Dork
5/20/19 8:21 p.m.

The Conti DWS was replaced by the DWS06. I have a set on my Ralliart wagon, and they're the best.

Sounds like what you want.

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
5/20/19 9:12 p.m.

BFG sport comp G2 -AS' ....wet weather ....excellent.....don't be like me......rotate & balance (duh)

religiously  and you'll get great wear/low road noise....over 30K on the 'V' and i think this set will 

make 45K which is far better than any thing thus far.

johndej
johndej HalfDork
5/20/19 9:53 p.m.

Does discount tire have the OHTSU TIRE FP0612 A/S in your size? I've heard they are falken 912 clones and dirt cheap.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
5/20/19 10:12 p.m.

I've some Nokian four-seasons on the Suzuki that I like well enough.  They're not loud, not amazing in the wet but not bad.  Decent in mud.  Good pricing from Amazon.  Would buy again when I need another set.

Justjim75
Justjim75 HalfDork
5/20/19 10:23 p.m.

I've switched my wife's 6 to Americus tires.  I had a set on the XRS and they did all the daily driver stuff and are smooth and quiet too.  Did I mention the set costs like 220 bucks before mount and balance?

Justjim75
Justjim75 HalfDork
5/20/19 10:34 p.m.

https://simpletire.com/americus-thunderer-p215-55r17-amd0178-tires

This is the first link I found in your size.  I put them on my wife's car because they're really good in the rain and are smooth and quiet.  I want my wife and son to be safe and they handled decent too

chada75
chada75 Reader
5/21/19 4:25 p.m.

I've run Preilli P4s on Two Crown Vics. The tires are rated at 80k but managed to get 85k+. Should have some at your size.

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap Dork
5/21/19 4:38 p.m.

OHTSU TIRE FP0612 A/S  is what old man runs on his cars. last forever and dirt cheap. 

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
5/21/19 5:00 p.m.

I was pleased with the old DWS and like the current DWS06 as well.  I've had both on a couple cars.  I currently have the DWS06 on our Golf, no complaints.

Like skierd mentioned, I too like the Cooper CS5, I had the Ultras on a Volvo 850, and the Touring on our Grand Marquis.  Good tires!  I even talked a coworker into putting the Touring on his Crosstrek, and he's been pleased too.

Dusterbd13-michael
5/21/19 5:08 p.m.

I became convinced at about 5:30am (woke up at 3) that the continental purecontact was the answer after reading about 300 different reviews on different tires. So i ordered a set a couple hours ago. Should be here tomorrow afternoon 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
5/21/19 6:15 p.m.

I typically end up with Kumho's. The wife's Forte has the Platinum LX. This is my 3rd set on the 3rd car. They usually last about 45k for me with wiggle room. I refuse to run a non-set of racing tires down past the wearbars so at 45k miles they're still at 3/32. Quiet, confident, ride great. 

I know you already made your purchase but they're my go-to for long distance daily

dxman92
dxman92 Reader
5/21/19 10:34 p.m.

I just had Sumitomos HTR Po2's (sp?) Installed on SWMBO's Jetta and no complaints..

RyanGreener
RyanGreener Reader
5/22/19 6:50 a.m.

Continental DWS06. Decent traction in all weather conditions except massive snowstorms.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
5/22/19 7:00 a.m.

Wuss.  Westlakes let miatas spin the tires on pavement.  

I wish the chinese tire companies would start making wide white walls

therieldeal
therieldeal Reader
5/22/19 7:24 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

I became convinced at about 5:30am (woke up at 3) that the continental purecontact was the answer after reading about 300 different reviews on different tires. So i ordered a set a couple hours ago. Should be here tomorrow afternoon 

My ex always runs Continentals on her DD, tried a few different varieties over the years, but still maintains that the PureContact was her favorite.  She’s on the DWS06 right now.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau Dork
5/22/19 7:51 a.m.

My daily (small light car) is on DWS06's and they are so good that I stopped thinking about selling that car once I put these tires on.

Wife's daily (minivan) is on PureContacts and they ride great and just don't seem to wear out ever.

All my bikes run Gatorskins or GP4's. We're a Continental family.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc Dork
5/22/19 8:08 a.m.
maschinenbau said:

My daily (small light car) is on DWS06's and they are so good that I stopped thinking about selling that car once I put these tires on.

Wife's daily (minivan) is on PureContacts and they ride great and just don't seem to wear out ever.

All my bikes run Gatorskins or GP4's. We're a Continental family.

After my experience with the DWS06, I'm going to continue with Continentals for all of my street vehicles.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9wmX5WoGRLRWY2WebNqr2tFc2uEZEnvqshdLPBKmcNMpeE90QFxZXI5eJXWQSXJg