Mustang50
Mustang50 Reader
4/7/21 11:02 a.m.

I realize this is not a car issue but we are trying to identify a good helmet for my 7 year old granddaughter.  The helmets we use are Snell rated but I can not find any rating for children's helmets.  Any suggestions?

cmcgregor (Forum Supporter)
cmcgregor (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/7/21 11:17 a.m.

CPSC has a pretty good webpage for finding certifications HERE

My kids have giant heads so my 4.5 year old is wearing an adult XS, but we got him this helmet from triple8 because it meets the ASTM F-1492 standard, which certifies it for more than one moderate impact as well as the bike helmet standard.

Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
4/7/21 11:42 a.m.
Mustang50 said:

I realize this is not a car issue...

There's an app for that: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/ laugh

Mustang50
Mustang50 Reader
4/7/21 6:36 p.m.

In reply to Driven5 :

Thanks for the help!

jtplaysdrums
jtplaysdrums New Reader
4/8/21 12:26 a.m.

In reply to Mustang50 :

Hey there! I just about never post, just lurk here to learn things, but I feel somewhat knowledgeable on this subject! I cycle a fair bit and I've destroyed several helmets in crashes (they work--always wear your helmet!!). We bought Catlike Kittens for our kids, but Catlike is out of business now, and if your granddaughter is 7, the extra small Catlike probably won't fit her. My kids are 18 months and 4 years.
Any of the major cycling brands would be good choices (Giro, Bell, POC, bike brands like Specialized, Trek, Cannondale, etc). For a few extra dollars, you probably want a MIPS helmet as I think several studies back up the claim that it protects better against brain injury. And these will meet/exceed the CPSC standards. I've always liked Giro helmets in terms of looks and reasonable prices (here is an example at $60 with MIPS: https://www.competitivecyclist.com/giro-scamp-mips-helmet?skidn=GIR00AL-BLUSPL-S&ti=UExQIENhdDpLaWRzJyBCaWtlIEhlbG1ldHM6MToyOmNjQ2F0MTAwMDU2). I'm not sure if it been proven one way or another, but I'd avoid things like ears and mohawks on the top as in a crash I think they could catch on the ground and put torque on her head/neck. The outside of a helmet is smooth for a reason! 
Most important advice: besides it being safe, make sure she likes how it looks, as she'll be more likely to wear it. And at the risk of being preachy, if you're out riding with her, wear a helmet too. Kids emulate the adults around them, plus brain injuries aren't cool. And have fun! Bike rides with my son (the 4 y.o.) are probably my favorite activity, and he isn't even using pedals yet!

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
4/8/21 1:20 a.m.
Driven5 said:
Mustang50 said:

I realize this is not a car issue...

There's an app for that: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/ laugh

I thought "Motorcycles & Bicycles" was more appropriate.

bluej (Forum Supporter)
bluej (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
4/8/21 7:23 a.m.

In reply to jtplaysdrums :

JT nailed it. Pick a MIPS from whatever major brand and style/color she likes.

Mustang50
Mustang50 Reader
4/8/21 12:01 p.m.

Thanks for all the help.  I never noticed this heading in the "forum".

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LUWcLgRogfP9FT0GHIZn5ehkfIEbRD0lMOsSoyXRieMNduY7MF7T3Ze1IG8SGVof