JBasham
JBasham Reader
9/22/17 4:09 p.m.

It's not unusual in the E36 community to see track rats installing coilover conversions.  A common recipe for the front end is to take top-adjustable Koni cut-a-strut dampers, drain the stock dampers and cut off the tops to make damper housings, and then slide on an adjustable perch for a 2.5 inch spring, like a Ground Control sleeve perch.

Based on some affection around these here parts for Tokicos, and a one-time ability to get a NIB pair of their Illuminas from a dealer for less than $150, I decided to be the guinea pig for using their damper instead.  I figured they may not last long but there's only one way to find out . . . .

It all worked out in the end but it took too much time.  Before I could put on the spring perch collars/cylinders, I had to hack off the huge welded-on spring perches Tokico puts on for the stock springs, retaining enough material along the weld line to hold up the perch adjustment cylinder.  If you're using non-adjustable Konis instead of the cut-a-strut inserts, you can just knock those off with a hammer, and the shock body still has perch points on it. 

Then I found out the octagonal shock body cap at the top of the Tokico housing needed to be ground down to the diameter of the shock body.  Then I had to find a way to center the perch adjustment collar on the shock housing, because the diameter was small enough to leave too much slop.

They're on the car now with some 300#-ish springs, which they seem to damp just fine even on a soft rebound setting (2 out of 5).  I'm hoping that means they will stand up to more spring, like 450#, because the car needs it based on my 2 test days at Summit Main this week.  But all said and done I wish I had just paid $185/each for the Koni single-adjustables.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
9/23/17 10:28 p.m.

Thanks for the review, hopefully someone who is looking for this kind of informed opinion finds it. 

I find it funny that while a lot of people (myself included at times) have complained about there being no decent off the shelf damper options for their car, you had options and took the hard road anyway.  Maybe someone who was waiting for an aftermarket that will never come is about to get all motivated and do it their self. yes

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
9/17/18 7:13 a.m.

Zombie thread, strange canoe deleted

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gygTlDXTTKQv35rSF3M1iGEaHxk7QornMoonBHiYlvCJaKiC6wrqmOMKgmeawhp8