David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/18/21 6:41 p.m.

Any guesses, hopes or dreams? 

I've lived with just about every iteration, and there's one parked out front right now. 

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture UltimaDork
10/18/21 6:44 p.m.

I think it will be everything I want it to be except for the lack of a hatchback, which has me keenly anticipating the Type-R and new Acura Integra, whichever one ultimately proves more attainable.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
10/18/21 7:12 p.m.

"We", like us?

Or a bunch of journalists hitting the continental breakfast waiting by some tacetrack for a turn to wail on some engineering mules?

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
10/18/21 7:45 p.m.

I'm guessing it'll have the same powertrain as the 10th gen and the same basic functions as the top of the line Civic trim.

LKAS, Honda's ACC, LED headlights, LSD, 205hp, 200 lb ft of torques, cool looking seats, black wheels, red stitching, decent sound system, Si badges, sun roof, 

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/18/21 7:59 p.m.

I'd love it if it gave me an upgrade option from the FiST: a bit more HP and torque  (230 on each?) with a hatchback and a 6-speed with an LSD, then undercut the GTI by a few grand. My guess is that it will fall short on all counts.  

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
10/18/21 11:29 p.m.

Please be a hatch...

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture UltimaDork
10/19/21 12:24 a.m.

In reply to dxman92 :

They have (sadly) already confirmed Si is sedan-only, probably so that it doesn't encroach on Type-R sales.

Patientzero
Patientzero Dork
10/19/21 2:41 a.m.

No doubt it will be incredibly ugly.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
10/19/21 7:51 a.m.

Waiting for the new Integra here.  Hoping for a windy N/A 2-ish liter mill, usable hatch space, and a face that doesn't look like...well...

2020 Honda Civic MPG, Price, Reviews & Photos | NewCars.com

RX8driver
RX8driver Reader
10/19/21 7:53 a.m.

Honest question: when the 1.5T in the regular Civic makes 180hp, isn't a 200hp Si kind of pointless?

I'd forgotten that the Si still existed for years until news of the new one started coming up just recently. I know power isn't everything being about a sporty car is all about, but it's a very important factor.

steronz
steronz Reader
10/19/21 8:08 a.m.

In reply to RX8driver :

It's an interesting question.   The current Civic lineup (excluding R) offers 158hp (2.0 NA), 180hp (1.5T), and 205hp (also 1.5T).  All very small bumps in power and, frankly, a lot of model variation for a dying segment (sedans in general, cars with manual transmissions specifically).

The first Si made 15hp more than the base model (91 vs 76), the next was +13hp (105 vs 92, and the same engine as in the EX Sedan), then +23 (125 vs 102, and again the same engine as in the now very popular EX model).  It wasn't until the 6th gen that the Si engine felt "special," since it was finally a DOHC b-series, but still only +33hp (160 vs 127).  And then of course the 7th/8th gen with the K-series really took the Si to a new category over the non-Si models, but that also killed the Integra.

So I agree... the Si engine feels a lot less special now than the previous few generations, but it also seems like a return to the norm for Honda... the Integra and Type-R will fill the spots that the Si has been filling in for for the last couple decades.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/19/21 9:57 a.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

"We", like us?

Or a bunch of journalists hitting the continental breakfast waiting by some tacetrack for a turn to wail on some engineering mules?

"We" as in you, me and us. smiley

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hqfsYkDLkqBpdktbQ5qpbFeJl51tXyeVTxsUGRbrvtXHBOnPHIajfM7Kz9vQHrNm