Xceler8x
Xceler8x HalfDork
3/3/09 1:11 p.m.

Toyota in talks for Japanese government bailout

TOKYO -- Toyota's financing unit is in talks with a Japanese government-backed bank on possible lending, the automaker said today, underlining the serious woes facing the car industry amid plunging global sales. Toyota Motor Corp. said no details had been decided. Kyodo News and NHK TV reported earlier in the day, without identifying sources, that Toyota's auto loan unit, Toyota Financial Services, had asked for a $2 billion government loan. A spokesman for Toyota Financial Services said the talks with the Japan Bank for International Cooperation were among the various ways being studied to gain funding. The lender does 70 percent of its business in the U.S., where sales have been plunging and credit tightening. The Japan Bank for International Cooperation, which started helping cash-strapped Japanese businesses last year as the global financial crisis unfolded, said it does not comment on individual company matters. Some companies have been struggling for cash ahead of the fiscal year end of March 31. The Finance Ministry said today it will provide an additional $5 billion from its foreign reserves this month to the Japan Bank for International Cooperation, to make sure there is ample cash available for needy businesses. Tokyo has about $1 trillion in foreign reserves.
GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH SuperDork
3/3/09 1:12 p.m.

LOL Wait wut?

EDIT: Ah I see now.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
3/3/09 1:15 p.m.

cause it can't get credit anywhere else it's going to Tokyo? Mad suck for all car makers now.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt HalfDork
3/3/09 1:52 p.m.

That's the Richmond TImes Dispatch? I expected this article to be in The Onion instead.

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
3/3/09 1:55 p.m.

its not toyota, its toyota finance thats looking for a bailout from tokyo. not a car maker, but a car maker finance company

alfadriver
alfadriver Reader
3/3/09 1:56 p.m.

Heard about this while eating breakfast. Almost spit said breakfast out.

Here's what I don't get- Toyota has been making HUGE profits for years. $5-10-15BUS for a long time. What happened to that cash?

With all of those recent profits, they need a bailout?????

Seems like a pretty questionable investment.

(oh, and it does really suck right now- the current projection for 2009 is roughly 10M worldwide sales- near 1991 levels. Horrible)

Eric

Xceler8x
Xceler8x HalfDork
3/3/09 3:09 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: LOL Wait wut? EDIT: Ah I see now.

Quoted the wrong article at first. You must've gotten that. Funny tho wasn't it!? I hurried back to fix it.

MadScientistMatt wrote: That's the Richmond TImes Dispatch? I expected this article to be in The Onion instead.

I know! The Times Disgrace was where I saw this first. I was surprised as well.

Monkeywrench
Monkeywrench Reader
3/3/09 4:22 p.m.
aircooled
aircooled Dork
3/3/09 5:06 p.m.
Monkeywrench wrote: Americans have enough cars

Yes, but next years Civic will have more interior room and more trunk space....

...oh look, something shiny!....

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gP7HLIS92shEB2s7h1r7climKb8ai44raN5h2t64Ag54gB9hXeNs3Y9rDP8lpCcn