Spitsix
Spitsix New Reader
11/7/09 4:56 p.m.

Decided to do the timing belt and waterpump on the 1999 Lexus RX300 at the last minute. Belt removal went fine, but need to remove the camshaft pulleys to replace the water pump. I didn't have time to source the proper tool to hold the pulleys while trying to remove the nuts. Any suggestions? Thanks Scott

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
11/7/09 5:38 p.m.

Is it an interference engine? Probably, so you'll have to be careful. You can try holding the pulley with one of those strap wrenches, or pull the cam cover off and grab the cam with some Vice Grips (The Wonder Tool). Then you can put some torque on the bolts.

Spitsix
Spitsix New Reader
11/7/09 6:50 p.m.

Thanks Dr Hess, I believe that it is non-interference. I tried the strap with no luck. I would rather not take off the cam covers because its a pain.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
11/7/09 8:13 p.m.

Well, your choices are: Impact wrench with strap, "the right tool" if it even exists, or take the cam cover off and grab the cam with some Vice Grips (on the non-lobe portion, of course). I dunno how that motor is, but on a 5SFE, you just need a big socket.

Spitsix
Spitsix New Reader
11/8/09 4:21 p.m.

Waterpump with the next timing belt change! Belt was easierer then I thought. Thanks Scott

pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
11/8/09 6:51 p.m.

On the MR2, the cams have a place designed for a wrench to hold.

If you can't get to the cams, leave the belt on and put a socket on the cam and one on the crank pulley. You can use this second socket to keep the belt and therefore the cam pulley from rotating.

SupraWes
SupraWes Dork
11/9/09 4:59 p.m.

Loosen the pulley bolts with the belt still installed. A wrench and a tap from a hammer should break em free.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rxBbt8xK4lGLnHUOmmeemvpKqFVAynK6Qn7LeN4BGXNIBTaAqG4Vnsq5Mdxht7au